ET NEWS (18th-22nd October)
By: Nitin Kochhar
PE stars may team up to buy 18% in
• 3 leading US-based private equity firms – Carlyle,
Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts and Warburg Pinus are
likely to acquire 15-18% in Hero Honda motors.
• This can bring exit of Japan’s Honda completely from
the country’s largest motorcycle company.
• Honda is holding 26% share which is valued at
around Rs 9300 crore.
Esprit to open franchise-based outlets
for retail push
• Esprit is considering franchise-based outlets to
enhance its reach.
• Eyeing to cross the mark of Rs 100 crore in retail
turnover by the end of this fiscal.
• It may consider sourcing the merchandise locally
once its number of stores goes up.
• Esprit has completed its 5 years in India.
GPCL to launch acquired brands in
India in 6 months
• Godrej Consumer Products Ltd.
• GPCL is undertaking to launch a few of its acquired
brands in India within the next six months.
• GPCL acquired Nigeria’s personal care brand Tura,
Indonesia’s household insecticide brand Megasari,
two hair care firms – Issue and Argencos in Latin
America and its partner Sara Lee from their joint
venture in India.
DoT may allow Etisalat to merge with
• Etisalat DB was earlier known as Swan.
• Telecom ministry is likely to allow this merger,
making its first acquisition among new telecom
operators who were given licenses in 2008.
• The current rules prohibit ale of promoter’s equity in
telecom service providers for 3 years after bagging
• But both the companies applied for a merger before
the new regulation came into force.
Micromax, Modu to launch 3.5G touch
• Micromax announced an exclusive partnership with
Israel-based Modu to launch co-branded ‘modu T’
phones in India.
• ‘Modu T’ is a 3.5G touch phone with 2.2 inch screen
and expandable memory up to 32 GB, priced at
• The handset has been awarded a Guinness World
Record for being the lightest touch screen mobile
phone in the world.