16. What I Notice During the Looped Pauses
A whisper of orange on
A thousand black but I don’t
turbines. remember it.
Miles of solar panels like a
black ocean I’ve never seen
close up. All I
You can’t get used to the this.
stars, no matter how long
you live here.
17. In My Room
18. Annoying Habit #92
19. Slide Slogans from School That I Fire at Mom
(just to annoy her)
“Give us the Mom says.
issues, not “A word-wall is a
the tissues!” long haul!”
“Add a graphic
and increase your “Charts should illuminate,
traffic!” not complicate!”
20. Mom Spots the Toy Horse
21. “Oh Ally, I love seeing that horse,” Mom says.
22. “What about this?” I Ask, and Open the Book.
23. Sasha in the Picture
24. Mom’s Reasons for Not Talking About That
25. Lincoln’s Bed Is on the Other Side of the Wall
from My Bed
• 2 knocks from his side = • 2 knocks from my side =
“Good night, Ally.” “Good night, Linc.”
• Mom will go to his room • I can hear them talking
next. through the wall.
• Lincoln gets her longest. • I get her first.
26. Mom Sits on the Edge of My Bed
27. What I Suddenly Understand
28. Lincoln Appears When I’m Half
“A MINUTE AND FOURTEEN SECONDS!” Lincoln bellows.
29. “What is going on in here?”
Dinner prty Buy Sharpies all Gma
Langs—bring Blk Blake!!
She uses Ally SmartFan
They come from sleepover
objects. our house and 9/19
” our lives.
up She glues Ada’s
shoes She says them Linc—therapy pie
they’re onto 2pm crust—
1/18 boards lard!
Grapes because and
Skim milk they’re casual shellacs
Earl Grey tea and them.
Drew shampoo meaningless.
Peanut butter “But they Mexico Flight
Rolaids tell the Conf:#:XJKD78
whole story I look when she’s 77
if you really not there.
31. Ways It Can Be When Dad Comes Back
g Befor r
Mom Comi e
32. Dad Comes Home Late
I hear the Mom has
brushing her arms
through my Dad. They don’t
His face is
in her hair.
There’s a blanket on
Mom’s Waiting Chair
where she fell asleep.
33. One Night Later
34. Dad Barbecues Chicken on the Deck
35. Facts About Dad
36. Dad’s Laugh
37. True Story
38. Rob Was Mom’s Best Friend.
39. Dad’s Questions/Lincoln’s
Can I play
I see music, Dad?
Any kids school.
you feel Not rather
like asking Three.
over to Nope.
Did you lost
How have music Want to
many at- 5–2.
class with have a
bats did Mom? catch after
40. Signs That Dad Isn’t Happy
“Sure, Linc,” he says, after
dinner. “Let’s hear some music.”
41. Songs with Lincoln’s Comments
42. Dad, to Mom, Whispering Under the Music (but
I can hear him)
44. “Stop!” Dad shouts. “Stop. Please. Forget
45. Lincoln Starts to Cry
46. “The pause makes you think the song
will end. And then the song isn’t really
over, so you’re relieved. But then the
song does actually end, because every
song ends, obviously, and THAT.
TIME. THE. END. IS. FOR.
47. A Pause While We Stand on the Deck
48. Then Dad Gathers Lincoln into His Arms
49. Lincoln Runs Inside and Slams His Bedroom
50. The Desert
51. It Starts Where Our Lawn Used to Be
53. “I’ve got to do better with Lincoln,”
54. The Old Golf Course
55. A Long, Empty Stretch of Walking
56. After a Long Time, We Reach the Solar Panels
57. Suddenly, There’s a Whirring Noise
58. We Stand a Long Time, Watching the Solar
60. After a While, I Feel Like Curling Up on the
Ground and Closing My Eyes
61. We Walk for Several Years
62. Dad Points to a Snake on one of Mom’s
63. What I’m Afraid Of
64. Dad Sets Me Down on Our Porch
65. What I Hear as I’m Falling Asleep
Linc. hear that No.
That. No, Pop.
Here, let’s stand by the
window. Listen with me.
What does that sound like
66. “Okay. I know.”
67. Relationship of Pause-Length to Haunting
68. Proof of the Necessity of Pauses
69. Discoveries About Pause Timing
(in Bubble Form)
Time remaining after pause (sec)
70. The Persistence of Pauses over Time
Length of song (min)