1. A child… …sees a butterfly and wonders where does it get its intriguing colors from …picks a crayon and doodles on paper in the hope of creating art of its own …stands in front of a mirror and stumbles over while emulating a danseuse …gazes at sparkling dew drops on the grass and tries to capture it through a camera …sits with a pen and book trying to write up a poem on her teacher …falls in love with a stamp on an old cover, wondering what story lies behind it …looks at the star lit night sky dreaming about the world beyond our own Just some of the magical experiences in a child’s life! We call them hobbies !
2. What can a child learn from each of these activities? What can this interest do for this child? What does this child need? Where does this child go for help? Who can support and guide this child? Who does the child share its excitement and discovery with? Let us create a platform for this child – let us create “Hobbeez” Here are some questions!?
3. If you are one or more of the following . . . You could make a difference!!! <ul><li>An expert in a hobby, a form of art or a literary activity </li></ul><ul><li>A hobbyist yourself </li></ul><ul><li>A passionate adult with interest in children </li></ul><ul><li>A teacher who loves to interact with children </li></ul><ul><li>A parent keen to create a good learning experience for his/her child </li></ul>
4. By being a mentor for this child . . . By being a mentor for this child . . . We need your expertise We need your time, either face-to-face or over the web We welcome and acknowledge your contribution We invite you to share in the joy We want you to be part of Hobbeez
5. How do you go about it? Where do you find this child? What difference can you make? How much will this difference impact the child? What kind of support can you provide for this child? What kind of support do you need to make this difference? Ask Hobbeez to provide you the platform Here are some possible questions from your side . . .
6. Presenting Hobbeez
7. Hobbeez has only one intention: To bring “Mentors” & “Children” together Children across the world (over the web) Children in your country (through TV) Neighbourhood M E N T O R
8. Mission of Hobbeez: To create a global network of mentors that would use the power of the media and the convenience of the mode to provide affordable access to a world class hobby experience to self-motivated children worldwide
9. <ul><li>Goals </li></ul><ul><li>To promote hobbies among middle-school children, irrespective of their economical background </li></ul><ul><li>To showcase talents of “Mentorz” and support them to reach out to children </li></ul><ul><li>To provide a platform (physical, media and web) for all hobbyists where they can share and learn from other hobbyists across the globe </li></ul>
10. <ul><li>Model </li></ul><ul><li>Build a knowledge base and support system for aspiring hobbyists through a strong team of in-house researchers and Mentorz. </li></ul><ul><li>Provide easy access to the materials and accessories required to pursue a hobby. (CD-ROMs, Hobby-kits etc) </li></ul><ul><li>Set up a platform in Bangalore for hobbyists to come together, share their ideas, experiences, knowledge and learning. </li></ul><ul><li>Create a franchise network throughout India that would have “Hobbeez Centres” in schools and neighbourhood learning centres. </li></ul><ul><li>Promote this across the globe through print and electronic media </li></ul>
11. <ul><li>What does Hobbeez offer a child? </li></ul><ul><li>Base knowledge and materials for starting a hobby: the hobby-kit </li></ul><ul><li>Periodic face-to-face workshops for active interaction between hobbyists and mentors </li></ul><ul><li>A magazine, both in print and electronic media, that would provide periodic information to hobbyists </li></ul><ul><li>Online interaction and support for the aspiring hobbyist to adopt, nurture and pursue a hobby </li></ul><ul><li>A global network of hobbyistz </li></ul><ul><li>A great team of Mentorz willing to share their knowledge and experiences with hobbyistz </li></ul>
12. <ul><li>What does Hobbeez offer Mentorz? </li></ul><ul><li>A platform to access children who are aspiring hobbyists worldwide </li></ul><ul><li>Support for you as a resource person </li></ul><ul><li>Showcase your talent to a wider audience – through workshops, press and the web </li></ul><ul><li>Opportunities to share your knowledge and expertise with them </li></ul><ul><li>Opportunities to interact with resource people from various fields </li></ul>
13. <ul><li>What does Hobbeez get? </li></ul><ul><li>Hobbeez was started with the intention of promoting active living through adoption of hobbies </li></ul><ul><li>The intention is purely philanthropic in nature; 15 % of the revenues would be earmarked for recognized charitable organizations </li></ul><ul><li>The model adopted is a self-sustaining one </li></ul><ul><li>The thrill of being a pioneer in creating the biggest network of hobbyists worldwide </li></ul><ul><li>Revenues from subscription from hobbyists </li></ul><ul><li>Being instrumental in supporting hobbyists </li></ul>
14. <ul><li>What else can Hobbeez do? </li></ul><ul><li>A hobby for those who are economically privileged can be a livelihood for those who are economically challenged (Eg. Bead-making) </li></ul><ul><li>Hobbeez could identify people in both sides of the “digital divide” and bring them together </li></ul><ul><li>These trainees can then make products or services which can be used as gift items for the business world and the general public </li></ul><ul><li>This area, if worked on well, could provide employment to a few thousands </li></ul>
15. Where is Hobbeez now? Launching poetry, story-telling, philately, painting, photography, pottery, scrabble, classical dance, chess, bird-watching, wildlife in the next 3 months in Bangalore; an office is being set up in Sadashivanagar, Bangalore; we have an ad agency in Adverto; we have some initial sponsors who will fund it initially; we have a 20-member staff helping us to put together research materials; we also have over a 100 Mentors willing to help us in India, UK and USA Where does Hobbeez want to be? In 5 years from now, Hobbeez wants to be the world’s biggest resource center for hobbies; a university in the US is working in partnership with Hobbeez to provide a research base. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org