0
Google & Online Influence

Nick Garner
CEO 90 Digital
What is influence?
“A power affecting a
person, thing, or course of
events, especially one that
operates without any
direc...
An equation for online influence
Right content
+
Right time
+
Right place

=

Trust & Influence
What if you could steer influence easily?
Where is influence you can steer?
It’s said social is influential because we spend a lot of time there
But people don't usually buy directly through social.
And the Quarterly ARPU proves this

ARPU Q2 2013
Imagine where people ‘tell’ you they want influencing?
Trust across media
Below is the Edelman ‘trust barometer. In the developed world, Social Media is about half
as trusted as...
Search + trust

Source: Pew Internet | http://pewinternet.org/~/media/Files/Reports/2012/PIP_Search_Engine_Use_2012.pdf
So do people ask ‘consideration’ questions on Google?
Google wanted the answer, so they commissioned Shopper Science to in...
Trust in search has affected buyer behaviour: ZMOT
We now use Google to ask
buyer questions:
●
●
●
●

reviews
analysis
tru...
The results were very interesting
Google found searching online for ‘shopper information’ was as popular as asking friends...
Users touch lots of information sources when in ‘consideration’
On average users look at 10.4 sources of information, most...
ZMOT influence heatmaps
Google kicks ass on monetization...PPC click share must be HUGE?!

ARPU Q2 2013
Not so...
PPC only accounts for about 7% of clicks. The other 93% of clicks go to natural search.

http://www.smartinsight...
Keywords are mostly questions or implied questions.
BRAND AWARENESS
phones long battery life
smartphone reviews

iphone ba...
Now what?
Consideration is asking questions. Therefore
ask those consideration questions people will
ask of you.

Why shou...
Your No1 consideration phrase...

BRAND
306% CTR on Brand SERPS using Google WMT data
If you think of a brand query as a ‘consideration question’, then the CTR ra...
Come up with answers around your brand phrases
Customer reviews

Credible answers
Rank ‘answers’ on brand
Come up with answers on other consideration phrases
Customer reviews

Expert opinions
Rank on consideration phrases
Recap
Positively Influence
consideration and you will:
●
●
●

sell stuff
build reputation
improve WOM
Download the PPT

&

Ebook now on:

http://90digital.com/blog
Lindex think tank   google & influence
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Lindex think tank google & influence

223

Published on

Linkdex think tank conference where Nick Garner talks about Google and online influence and how the consideration journey is heavily affected by what user see on Google

Published in: Technology, News & Politics
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
223
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transcript of "Lindex think tank google & influence"

  1. 1. Google & Online Influence Nick Garner CEO 90 Digital
  2. 2. What is influence? “A power affecting a person, thing, or course of events, especially one that operates without any direct or apparent effort”
  3. 3. An equation for online influence Right content + Right time + Right place = Trust & Influence
  4. 4. What if you could steer influence easily?
  5. 5. Where is influence you can steer?
  6. 6. It’s said social is influential because we spend a lot of time there
  7. 7. But people don't usually buy directly through social.
  8. 8. And the Quarterly ARPU proves this ARPU Q2 2013
  9. 9. Imagine where people ‘tell’ you they want influencing?
  10. 10. Trust across media Below is the Edelman ‘trust barometer. In the developed world, Social Media is about half as trusted as search results. And search results are nearly as trusted as traditional media. Search gives you information you trust, when you ask for it.
  11. 11. Search + trust Source: Pew Internet | http://pewinternet.org/~/media/Files/Reports/2012/PIP_Search_Engine_Use_2012.pdf
  12. 12. So do people ask ‘consideration’ questions on Google? Google wanted the answer, so they commissioned Shopper Science to investigate and make sense of online ‘consideration’ behaviour. 5,000 panellists were used. (that is 5,000 people below) 5,000
  13. 13. Trust in search has affected buyer behaviour: ZMOT We now use Google to ask buyer questions: ● ● ● ● reviews analysis trusted opinions detail
  14. 14. The results were very interesting Google found searching online for ‘shopper information’ was as popular as asking friends and family for buying advice. Google group the information sources below as ‘Zero moment of truth’ : ZMOT (odd name I know)
  15. 15. Users touch lots of information sources when in ‘consideration’ On average users look at 10.4 sources of information, mostly online before buying. And the percentage of people influenced by ZMOT by sector ranges from 61% (Grocery) to 99% (Travel) Category: Sector Sources: No. of different sources of info i. e. Amazon, a blog and so on % ZMOT: People mainly using online sources
  16. 16. ZMOT influence heatmaps
  17. 17. Google kicks ass on monetization...PPC click share must be HUGE?! ARPU Q2 2013
  18. 18. Not so... PPC only accounts for about 7% of clicks. The other 93% of clicks go to natural search. http://www.smartinsights.com/search-engine-optimisation-seo/seo-analytics/comparison-of-google-clickthrough-rates-by-position/
  19. 19. Keywords are mostly questions or implied questions. BRAND AWARENESS phones long battery life smartphone reviews iphone battery life galaxy note 4 battery life phones removable batteries galaxy 4 prices galaxy 4 spare battery Cart
  20. 20. Now what? Consideration is asking questions. Therefore ask those consideration questions people will ask of you. Why should I buy your [product/service] ? ?
  21. 21. Your No1 consideration phrase... BRAND
  22. 22. 306% CTR on Brand SERPS using Google WMT data If you think of a brand query as a ‘consideration question’, then the CTR rates make sense because people jump around looking at results to help them answer those questions. http://moz.com/ugc/click-through-rates-in-google-serps-for-different-types-of-queries
  23. 23. Come up with answers around your brand phrases Customer reviews Credible answers
  24. 24. Rank ‘answers’ on brand
  25. 25. Come up with answers on other consideration phrases Customer reviews Expert opinions
  26. 26. Rank on consideration phrases
  27. 27. Recap Positively Influence consideration and you will: ● ● ● sell stuff build reputation improve WOM
  28. 28. Download the PPT & Ebook now on: http://90digital.com/blog
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×