Background information: consultants? Formula when collecting data?
Investigative question: How will the daily weather patterns affect the speed and direction of the wind? Consultants: Kim Adams -- ITT Industries, Joe RandKidWind Project
How we collected data Formula used Variables Control
Possibly looking into a pressure component: barometer
PBL is a student-centered approach to learning that incorporates research and problem-solving in an investigation of a real-world problem. Problem Based Learning should: -be student-centered and experiential -be inductive -build on or challenge prior learning -feature complex or ambiguous problems -be collaborative yet independent.
Our Best Work-- Windbreakers Power Point Presentation
Problem Based Learning:
How can I create an original machine to
accurately measure wind speed and
direction for four weeks?
Ms. Frizzle’s Wind Breaker Team
Hi! I’m Meredith
Doepner, and I work on
Ms. Frizzle’s team as a
data collector, and
I’m Katelyn Kingseed, and
I love being Ms. Frizzle’s
communicator, and data
Hello! I’m Rachel Landa
and I help update Ms.
Frizzle’s website and
"The Magic Wind Bus"
Let’s get started!
• Brainstorming activity
-How will we deal with materials, location, weather, design, time,
and personal responsibilities?
• Investigation considerations
-Location for data collection
-Time of data collection
-Conversion to mph
• Planning considerations
-When to meet?
-National Weather Service
How did we investigate?
• Developed Investigative Question
• Researched Wind Machine Designs
• Contacted Consultants
• Decided on group meeting time/place
• Sketched potential wind machine design
• Purchased materials
• Constructed the machine
• Calibrated machine
• Made data collection schedule
• Started 4 week data collection
• Designed group website
• Started brainstorming ideas for presentation
• Finished data collection/data table online
• Finalized presentation and website
What you might find!
What have we learned?
• Our data did not show a consistent relationship between daily weather
patterns and the speed and direction of the wind.
• Wind and Weather ARE related, but are also very different.
– We get wind when air flows from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure.
– The weather patterns are based on the location of those areas of high and low
• High pressure usually brings clear weather.
• Low pressure usually brings stormy weather
• There must be another component in addition
to weather patterns causing the wind
to behave in such a manner.
How could we improve?
• In the future we would…
– Test more machine designs
before finalizing ours
– Make more specific jobs for
team members from the
– Involve all subject areas
• With a special emphasis on
physical education, art, and
– Change the variable we
In your own classroom…
• Implementing PBL in your own classroom
• In a Special Education Classroom
• Technology Used:
• Microsoft Office
• Google Docs
• Google websites
• Retrieved from http://library.thinkquest.org/5818/globalwinds.html
• Retrieved from http://learn.kidwind.org/
• Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/