26WE BECOME YOU™
1. Convert all job descriptions to using gender-neutral language.
2. State your commitment to building a diverse and inclusive culture in your job
descriptions and careers page.
3. Write results-based job descriptions.
4. Diversify your pipeline by actively sourcing candidates.
5. Conduct blind screenings to minimize unconscious biases in the resume review
6. Ban “culture fit” as a reason for rejecting a candidate.
7. Explicitly request a diverse range of referrals.
8. Invest in a structured interviewing process and training.
9. Ensure that underrepresented employees are included in your interviews.
10. Introduce diversity and inclusion early on in the employee’s cycle.
11. Use Alex to catch gendered language in team communications.
12. Start a “guys jar.”
13. Have every employee take a working styles test to help coworkers understand
each other’s work and communication styles.
14. Create a channel for D&I in your company’s communication tool.
15. Celebrate holidays and events for underrepresented minorities like Black History
Month or Gay Pride Week.
16. Start a dish duty rotation.
17. Related, give visible recognition when employees do go above and beyond to
pick up extra duties.
18. Start an employee resource group.
19. Allow flexible work hours.
20. Order a set of knowledge cards.
21. Run an unconscious bias training.
22. Have coworkers take an Implicit Association Test to help them realize their own
23. Check the temperature of your office.
24. Check what reading materials you have in your lobby.
25. Print inclusive bathroom signs.
26. Hang a poster describing how every employee can contribute to an inclusive
27. Establish a mother’s room where nursing women have a private space for
pumping breast milk.
28. Schedule team bonding activities during the day.
29. Order swag in women’s sizes or from a non-gender binary shirt company.
29WE BECOME YOU™
1. Women apply if the match is close to 100% while men are
good with 60%
2. TalVista, Textio
3. Gender ad-check http://gender-decoder.katmatfield.com/
4. Unconscious bias-like words (e.g. 7 yrs of exp)
32WE BECOME YOU™
- Leading discussions
around diversity, internally
- Running solid educational
programs about D&I
- Introducing ‘blind
audition’ if needed
- Recruiting diverse
candidates when your
stakeholders are not yet
- Pretending all’s good for
change if we are still driven
by unconscious bias
- Rejecting candidates
because of cultural fit
- Building ERGs only to
- Promoting only diverse
employees on your website
and in your company
- Using inclusive language
- Creating an inclusive
- Supporting minority
events - with words,
presence and also budget
- The fight for total acceptance and maximum promotion of
every human difference
- Getting satisfied with
- Measuring and validating
how complete life your
employees have at work