About American Express:
• American Express Company, also known as AmEx, is an
American multinational financial services corporation
headquartered in Three World Financial Center, Manhattan,
New York City, New York, United States.
• Founded in 1850, it is one of the 30 components of the Dow
Jones Industrial Average.
• The company is best known for its credit card, charge card, and
traveler's cheque businesses.
• Amex cards account for approximately 24% of the total dollar
volume of credit card transactions in the US.
• Their vision is to ensure their customers receive massive
rewards in life.
• Not only do they move towards their goal of being a flying
partner of customers but also a life-ensuring partner.
• Offer superior value propositions to all customers.
• Operate with best-in-class economics.
• Support the American Express brand.
• BusinessWeek and Interbrand
ranked American Express as the
22nd most valuable brand in the
world, estimating the brand to be
worth US$14.97 billion.
• Fortune listed Amex as one of the
top 20 Most Admired Companies in
• They are the world’s largest card
issuer by purchase volumes.
• Operate the world’s largest travel
network servicing consumers and
• Recognized as the most innovative
company in their industry.
• AMEX was the first to introduce:
• Plastic card
• ‘Superphone’ authorization process
• Magnetic strip on card
• Premium card
• Buyer’s Assurance and rewards programs
• Express-Net - online management tools to track
• Embedded Chip and PIN
• Photograph on card
TRANSITIONS IN PROPOSITIONS
• Don’t leave home without it.
• Do More.
• My life. My Card.
• Welcome in (LATEST)
• Gold Card: To cater to the upper echelon of business & travel.
• Platinum Card: Card for the elite target group.
• Centurion Card: Often referred to as the "black card," which caters to an even more
affluent and elite customer segment.
• American Express has several co-branded credit cards, with most falling into one of
• Airlines (Travel Cards)
• Blue Card: Card aimed at young adults. Amex also targeted young adults with City
Reward Cards that earn INSIDE Rewards points to eat, drink, and play at New York,
Chicago and LA hot spots.
• Clear Card: the first credit card with no fees of any kind.
• One Card: a credit card with a "Savings Accelerator Plan" that contributes
1% of eligible purchases into a High-Yield Savings Account insured by the
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
• "The Knot" and "The Nest" Credit Cards from American Express, co-
branded cards developed with the wedding planning website theknot.com.
– It is a prepaid debit card introduced by American Express and Walmart.
– It is being touted as having lower fees than other prepaid debit cards with
some of the benefits of traditional American Express cards, such as roadside
assistance and identity theft protection.
– The card can also be used as a substitute to a traditional checking account.
• ExpressPay: It is a contactless payment system based on
wireless RFID, where transactions are completed by
holding the credit card near a receiver at which point the
debt is immediately added to the account.
• V- Payment: V-Payment is unique in that it enables a
tightly controlled, single-use card number for increased
• Global Business and Consumer Travel: It provides cost-
effective travel program management, world-class
customer service, and solutions for enhanced traveler
productivity and support worldwide.
• Business Cards:
• A comprehensive range of cards designed to support mid-sized and large
companies manage their travel and day-to-day operational expenses.
• Examples of these products include:
– The Corporate Meeting Card.
– The Corporate Purchasing Card.
– The Business Travel Account.
• Commercial Cards differ from Business Cards as they enable company
liability (business cards are issued as extensions of credit to the
• In addition, Commercial Cards offer a comprehensive suite of data and
reporting solutions that help clients gain visibility and control over
employee expenditures (Receipt Match).
• American Express @ Work website.
• Information @ Work, a reporting tool targeted at
mid-size companies to give them quick and easy
access to their employees' spend data.
• In this, clients have access to:
– Program management capabilities.
– Online statements.
– Reporting and data integration products.
• Merchant Cards:
• Open Credit Card: This card was designed to
enable for small scale merchants in order to
help them out with their businesses.(Plum
• There are no annual fees levied, helping the
merchants to make purchases through their
cards and avail special benefits.
• Global Merchant Services: It signs merchants to
accept American Express Cards and processes and
settles card transactions for those merchants. In
addition, it offers merchants point-of-sale
servicing, fraud prevention services and
marketing, and analytical products and services.
• Global Network Services: It partners with leading
banks and financial institutions worldwide to
issue cards and acquire merchants on to the
American Express network.
• American Express uses the traditional communicating channels as well as social media.
• Their ATL strategies basically involves creating awareness about their new cards and services
and constanty improving their brand Image in terms of the world class service provided by
• However, in the recent years the company has shifted its focus to social media in order to
engage their customers and focus more on youth centric activities.
• American Express is doing a lot to shed its image as the card for the elite. In recent years
Amex has worked with Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, video game companies and other new
partners to win the favor of young adults.
• American Express is also paving its way into the mobile space.
• They have also been harnessing Cause Marketing lately and giving opportunities to young
talent to contribute to social causes.
• Using latest innovations to create an unforgettable experience and deliver value to customers.
• Everything AMEX does is designed to engage their customers,
merchants and their partners in a long-term relationship, one
that deepens over time through the creation of value.
• They make it their business to be “active listeners,” so as
attitudes and ways of doing business change among the Card
members and merchants, they understand how to position
themselves in ways that serve and anticipate their needs.
• Their goal is to create customers for life.
• Hence they always look for new ways to attract, engage, and
ATL CAMPAIGNS FOR CUSTOMERS
The Membership Effect
• Education about the unique benefits and innovations
available to the millions of American Express Card members
and merchant partners connecting globally every day.
• Date: March 28, 2012
• Target Group: Customers, Merchants and businesses.
• The campaign is the centerpiece of a broader
effort that American Express is taking to educate
its customers about the potential that American
Express offers to connect people to possibilities
through the power of its network, or "The
• The Membership Effect campaign started with
hilarious TV commercials starring Aziz Ansari and
now American Express is working with Zumobi
and MindShare to take the campaign mobile.
American Express Travel Cards:
• Target Group: Customers, Businesses.
• Helps make travelling with foreign currency easier and
• It is loaded with travel friendly features like:
• Easy to use
• Useful for managing Travel Budget
• Accepted globally
• Locked in Exchange rates
• Funds never expire, no inactivity fees.
• Exclusive special offers.
ATL CAMPAIGNS FOR MECHANTS
American Express “Shop Small” – Small Business
• It is an American shopping holiday held on the
Saturday after Thanksgiving during one of the busiest
shopping periods of the year.
• They aim at providing jobs, preserving
neighborhoods and fuel local economy through
which the small businesses can thrive and attract
SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIES
• Their mission is to be everywhere the Cardmembers and merchants are.
• To engage with them, service them, deliver unique value that's shareable and
create seamless digital experiences that surprise and delight.
• American Express joined the social media scene in 2009.
• American Express first made its appearance on Twitter with the @AskAmex
handle, focused on servicing Cardmember and merchant questions and needs.
@AmericanExpress and the official American Express Facebook Page came
• American Express has built its social strategy on service, and it continues to
improve its implementation by taking in user feedback. They spent a great deal
of time listening to the community. The community interests and feedback
defines their strategy.
• The organisation leverages Facebook with its viral “many to many”
social connection to create more stories about AMEX than they could
ever achieve on their own.
• To exploit power of marketing to a social network with the scale and
size of Facebook.
• American Express uses its Twitter account to distribute its content and
also uses it to engage with followers and answer questions through its
• Use community manager to interact in real time to questions inquiries
by Twitter followers.
• The LinkedIn page of AMEX caters to professionals around
• Promotes products and services provided by AMEX to the
followers as they can be segmented.
• Lists jobs as LinkedIn is primarily a recruitment platform.
• Go beyond core mission of enhancing not only
cardmember’s experience online but also creating content
that appeals to merchants & the youth as well.
• American Express is using the location based technologies of the
social media site Foursquare to provide incentives for merchants
and customers to use the American Express card to obtain
savings when they visit participating merchants and use their
AMEX credit card.
• It uses the foursquare mobile app to power the marketing
• This strategy is also about creating crowd sourced conversations
and stories on this social network of 15 million users.
• By actively participating on Foursquare AMEX has built a
sizeable network of over 65, 000 followers that leverages their
brand. Size does matter and should be a priority in your social
media marketing strategy
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGNS FOR
• Objective- Bringing both the in-
concert and at-home viewing
experiences to entirely new
heights and build Customer
• Launch Date-5th August 2010.
• Target Group- Cardmembers &
• Campaign Platform- Facebook,
– "Unstaged: An Original Series from American Express," features some of
the music industry's most breakthrough artists playing at landmark venues
across the world.
– Tap some of the most influential filmmakers to direct the live-streams, and
use digital and social media to connect the online audience to the live
shows in unexpected ways.
– The Series is scheduled to also feature a variety of surprise musical guest
performances along the way.
– Each of the concert performances will be live-streamed for both
Cardmembers and music enthusiasts through the artists' dedicated VEVO
page on YouTube.
– This new partnership with VEVO and YouTube celebrates the marriage of
music and social media.
– The aim is to demonstrates the exceptional access that American Express
provides to Cardmembers and music lovers across the world.
• Launch Date-19th July
• Target Group-
• Objective- To provide
couponless discounts on
things they love.
– In order to integrate all social media platforms together Link, Like,
Love in 2012 was repositioned as Sync.
– Cardmembers can sync their eligible Card with Twitter, Facebook &
Foursquare, and when they connect using special offer hashtags or
location services(foursquare) , couponless savings are loaded directly
to their synced Cards – no coupons, no print-outs.
– Exclusive offers from a variety of the nation's largest merchants can
be availed using smart phones.
• Turn social media content into digital coupons by connecting
Cardmembers to merchants and delivering real world value to
both in return for social media mentions.
• AMEX launched their genius ‘sync’ campaign in
• 9 days after the launch of the campaign AMEX and
merchant partners garnered more than 150,000
• The coupons were worth more than $1.3mn in
• In total, there has been over $12.8 million spent, and
at least $2.8million worth of discounts awarded.
• Objective: Introduction of
hassle free prepaid cards in
partnership with Walmart.
• Launched: October 2012.
• TG- middle-class and lower-
income Americans eager to
avoid fees charged by banks.
• Campaign Platform-
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube,
• Bluebird is a checking and debit alternative brought to you
by American Express and Wal-Mart®.
• The costs to manage personal finances have changed
dramatically in recent years.
• Checking accounts that used to be free.
• Bluebird offers an alternative and a better way to manage
and control customer’s money.
• It has many great features like Direct Deposit, ATM access,
bill pay, Bluebird Checks, Bluebird Sub-Accounts and of
course, access to membership benefits from American
• Platform-Facebook, Twitter
• Objective-Deliver unique values to
Cardmembers & at the same time
increase customer engagement on social
• This campaign attempts at making the
consumers feel privileged by offering
them the exclusive opportunity of
booking tickets before it is made
available to the entire country.
• They Use Facebook and twitter as the
platform to ensure publicity of the
campaign and increase in popularity of
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGNS FOR
SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY
• Launch Date-27th November
2010 (a counterpart to Black
Friday and Cyber Monday).
• Objective- Small Business
Saturday encourages holiday
shoppers to patronize brick and
mortar businesses that
are small and local.
• Target Group- Merchants.
• Campaign Platform-Facebook,
LinkedIn, YouTube, Digital.
– Launched to support the local businesses that create jobs and boost
– A national movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across
– The first 10,000 eligible businesses in the U.S. will get $100 in free
advertising credits each.
– Twitter offered $1 million in free ads for small businesses.
– Linked to the AMEX Open Card for Merchants and small businesses.
– Improve the brand image of the Company & have a smooth transition
in terms of brand re-positioning.
– 350 small business organizations supported the nationwide initiative.
– 50 Chambers of Commerce and 60 groups organizing events and
activities in support of the day.
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN FOR
CUSTOMERS AND BUSINESSES
• Objective: To target the elite customers
and provide them with exclusive offers.
• TG-Working Group, Executives, Elite
Group (Merchants and Customers)
• Campaign Platform- Facebook, Twitter,
• The only product promoted directly.
• Offers and Benefits it provides the
• Facebook and twitter used for
• Target Group-Travel Cardmembers
(customers and businesses)
• Objective-To motivate Cardmembers to
travel around the world and make use
of the facilities provided by American
Express Travel Cards.
• Platform-Facebook, Twitter.
• Description- Cardmembers had to
share/tweet the photos of AMEX logos
from wherever they are on vacations.
– To promote their travel cards and to
connect with their customers across the
– To reaffirm their universality and global
INTERACTIVE TV CHANNEL
• Launch Date: September 2012.
• Target Group: Cardmembers and Prospects.
• To allow the brand to be ‘always-on’ and promote its initiatives, even when more traditional
commercials are off the air.
• To Explore new digital avenues for customers to use its services to make exclusive purchases
so as to differentiate American Express as a forward-thinking brand.
• American Express’s channel will be available for a year as part of a campaign with Mindshare
and specialist interactive TV agency BrightLine.
• The channel is available via providers AT&T U-verse, Cablevision, DirecTV, Dish and Verizon
FiOS, as well as through Samsung and LG connected TVs.
• Viewers will be directed to the channel via interactive commercials, banner ads, and TV
• The channel features information about American Express’s cards and
benefits, promotions, games and updates.
• Both current and prospective American Express customers can interact
with the content and the company estimates that it should reach 55
million US homes.
• In addition to the branded channel, the credit card company has teamed
up with broadcasters Fox and NBC Universal, as well as social TV app
Zeebox, to allow viewers to use their mobiles to buy products while
watching TV, what it calls t-commerce, (television commerce).
• Games included Photo Hunt, which encouraged viewers to interact with
card benefits and read real customers’ tweets.
• The content will regularly refresh throughout the year to remain
• Less products and services promotions
and more interactivity.
• For American Express, its sponsorships
of the U.S. Open, Tribeca Film Festival
and its Unstaged concert series, means
that it has more great content at its
disposal and more assets to sweat via its
• Shoppable TV is an interesting area for
American Express to delve into.
• American Express reported that the
initiative drove a 50% lift in card
members’ perceptions of Amex as
‘innovative’ and ‘forward-thinking’.
TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL
• Location: New York, April 2013.
• Platform: live event and online.
• Target Group: Cardmembers
• Objective: To take the Unstaged Campaign forward.
– There are multiple music-related activities.
– Festival stages will feature special performances from current Broadway shows along
with emerging talent from Tribeca.
– Live streamed performance by Vampire Weekend.
– Fans can watch the live event at www.amexunstaged.com
– American Express Cardmembers® Get Access to the Best of the Tribeca Film Festival.
• American Express is bringing movie-goers favorite snack to the
streets with an interactive mobile popcorn truck.
• Collaboration with Brooklyn Popcorn, the truck will offer
complimentary gourmet popcorn in five unique flavors. Fans will
also be able to purchase tickets to Festival screenings.
• American Express teamed up with American Express Publishing’s
Travel + Leisure.
• It is an insider’s guide to the neighborhood featuring local
recommendations on restaurants, shopping, services and other
memorable experiences to help Festival-goers plan their perfect
• Live streamed music series to celebrate the art of
music through the unique storytelling abilities of
• Bring the festival to audiences around the city
and beyond so as to connect with people.
• Partnership with VEVO and YouTube, to bring its
live stream music series “American Express
Unstaged” to the Tribeca Film Festival.
AMERICAN EXPRESS CHANGEMAKERS
• Objective: To inspire and assist entrepreneurs who want to take their ideas to the next
level, pursuing leadership in social change.
• Launch Date: August 2012.
• Target Group: Card members
– Highlights and Supports 15 entrepreneurs poised to lead the future of social change.
– They are pioneers with solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges in areas such as
health, urban planning, economic empowerment, and citizen access to technology.
– These fifteen innovators attended the American Express Emerging Innovators Boot Camp, a three-day
workshop in New York City.
– Travel costs and expenses are covered by American Express in partnership with Changemakers.
– Innovators will be evaluated on demonstrated leadership, the strength of their innovation and their
potential for growth in the social sector.
• Part of the American Express Emerging Innovators Campaign, which aims to accelerate
and highlight the ideas of tomorrow's leaders through training, mentorship, promotion
A Seat In The Lap Of Luxury
• To provide the right cardholders with a host of unique and enviable
• To create an awareness about their upper end rewards programs.
• Target Group: Cardmembers
• American Express joined forces with DKNY to create a special in-season
runway event for Card members showcasing the DKNY 2012 Resort
• The recent U.S. Open in Flushing, Queens has also given them an
opportunity to treat users to once-in-a-lifetime incidents.
• American Express Court Curator, which gifted fans
customizations for their trip to the US Open.
• Concerts, fashion exclusives. It’s enough to make
some card users think twice about the rewards
parts on the credit card applications they let
gather dust in the old mailbox.
• American Express is providing unparalleled access
to connect card members with the designers they
Live Events and Digital Offers at NBA All-Star 2012
• Location: Orlando,USA.
• Target Group: Prospective customers and Cardmembers.
• Launch Year: 2012.
• Objective: To connect with its Cardmembers, merchant partners and all NBA
fans to create unforgettable moments during NBA All-Star.
– Live viewing parties for fans to special foursquare offers on NBA merchandise and
access to private events with former NBA players and NBA legends for Cardmembers.
– American Express will host NBA fans at Universal Orlando CityWalk® for the American
Express NBA All-Star Viewing Parties.
– The events are open to the public, and Cardmembers will have preferred seating and
complimentary concessions available to them there.
• Exciting events and offers at NBA All-Star 2012 in Orlando will help bring those
fans closer to the action and the game they love.
• Campaign by American Express and Take Part.
• Started in 2010.
• Objective: To provide those with a passion for philanthropy and interest in giving back an
opportunity to take small steps to make a big difference.
• Platforms: Online, Facebook ,Twitter, YouTube
• Target Group: Cardmembers and Prospects.
• Description of the program: This program encourages everyone, whether an American
Express® Cardmember or not, to do their part by providing numerous ways to get
involved, including sharing their passion for worthy causes.
• It also includes-:
– Volunteering for a local organization.
– Making a donation.
– Voting for a charity to receive additional funding from American Express.
– Through creative banners, tell-a-friend e-mails and interactive widgets, Members
Project makes it easy to promote people’s favorite charities and tell their friends
about all the steps they are taking to make a difference.
INTERACTIVE MOBILE AD CAMPAIGN
– To leverage social features to create a personalized consumer experience based on
interests and spending habits.
– By engaging consumers through a personalized experience via social networking, they
hope to gain campaign awareness and increase brand engagement organically.
• Target Group: Cardmembers.
– The mobile ad campaign creates a tailored timeline of images customized to each user.
– The mobile ad campaign features an app within an app experience and incorporates
video, user generated content, and social media integration that centers around
– Based on responses to a set of interactive prompts in the experience, users create a
personalized panorama that is tailored to their interests in shopping, dining, electronics
– With Gartner predicting that mobile advertising will be a 20.6 billion dollar
market by 2015, countless companies are popping up and soliciting easy
ways for brands to scale ad campaigns for mobile devices.
– American Express has been paving the way in the mobile space.
– To Establish a successful mobile campaign with the right vision, insight and
creativity at the same time captivate user’s attention instantaneously.
– Through true brand integration and rich-media mobile ads, to present
engaging experiences that create emotional ties with consumers.
– Use of Mobile advertising to drive that awareness and deliver relevant
– Extention of company’s efforts to offer a new mobile service to help
businesses and traveling employees quickly and efficiently change travel
plans that have been disrupted by the weather or other unforeseen events.
• Receipt Match
• Location: USA.
• Target Group: Businesses.
– Send: Send in receipt by snapping a photo with mobile app, forwarding via email or
uploading receipts form computer.
– Match: ReceiptMatch matches Business Card receipts to their transactions by
scanning the receipt for information like the purchase date and amount.
– Manage: View and print your stored receipt images, notes, and transaction details
from your online statement.
• Strategy: Help businesses to stay organized, spend less time on sorting their
receipts at the end of the month and manage their expenses on the go.
‘HIDDEN TALENT’ DOCUMENTARY SERIES
Launch Date: February 2012.
– To boost awareness of its 'Realize the potential' positioning.
– American Express is using a six-part, branded-content series.
– The ‘Hidden Talent’ documentary series, was co-created by Amex and production
company Silver River.
– It explores the hidden talents of ordinary people, including language learning, opera
singing and free diving.
– Viewers will also be able to take part in a series of interactive tasks to uncover their
own hidden abilities.
– The content will be hosted on a Facebook page, as well as a dedicated page on the
Channel 4 website.
– The campaign was intended to reinvent Amex for a new audience of affluent consumers
looking to live ‘rounded, enriched lives’.
– To provide an opportunity to showcase its brand message that ‘life is richer and more
rewarding when untapped possibilities are explored’.
MY LIVE STORY
• Objective: Aims to uncover the UK's best music experiences – the memorable
stories behind the shows, in celebration of American Express' involvement in
live music and its award-winning 'Preferred Seating' program.
• Target Group: Cardmembers.
• Platform: Online
– It encouraged consumers to celebrate their most memorable live music
moments by submitting photos or videos of their favorite gig online.
– Twenty-one winners will have their experiences turned into a short firm,
to be aired on national TV.
– The overall winner will be rewarded with a trip to Los Angeles.
– The short film will be created by a unique collaboration between director
Toby Dye, of Ridley Scott Associates, and DJ, producer and recording artist
Mark Ronson( United Kingdom) who will collaborate on the soundtrack.
– Engaging with consumers in non-traditional ways was the most important
aspect of their brand activity.
– To effectively involve consumers and invite them to share a dialogue with
Amex and with each other, to create richer and deeper relationships with the
– Their Preferred Seating Program recognizes card members’ passion for music
and film, providing them with access to memorable events.
– The ’My Live Story’ campaign brings this to life by celebrating the lasting
memories and moments of inspiration that people experience through such
GEO-TARGETED DIGITAL TAXI AD CAMPAIGN
– To keep Londoners in the know with information about the hottest entertainment
experiences in the Capital and to inspire them to enrich their free time.
• Launch Date: March 2013.
• Target Group: Prospective customers and Cardmembers.
– London taxi users will be served with adverts on ‘in-cab’ screens that are relevant to
their specific location in and around the Capital.
– Running for one month, this innovative campaign will combine traditional taxi
supersides with digital domination of 200 branded taxis and in-cab screens.
– A further 150 taxis will feature American Express branding.
– This digital geo-targeting campaign will deliver five different ad creatives that play on
the in-cab screens according to the taxi’s location.
FIRST SMS-INTERACTIVE BILLBOARD
– To enable our card members to get the most from their travels whether home or
• Location: London, UK.
• Target Group: Prospective customers and Cardmembers.
– SMS-driven interactive billboard, offering consumers "insider tips" about activities in
– The billboards rolled out across main London terminal train stations.
– Members of the public are invited to send an SMS containing their name to
"London's Insider Tip Generator" to receive a personalized message on a billboard.
– The message will suggest ways they can make the most of their time in London. It
will also be sent to the user in SMS form.
– To take their campaign “ Realize the Potentials” further.
Launch Date: November 2012.
• Objective: To promote the benefits of the foreign exchange services provider’s new
– Passengers at Delhi International T3 are being informed about the AmexJet card
through a speaking mannequin, whose image is projected onto a glass wall located
in the concourse.
– Most passengers do not pay attention to ads informing them about new privilege
– That is why at Terminal 3 they did things differently.
– This out of the box thinking did the trick and caught our passengers’ attention.
– Owing to its location at the Terminal 3 canyon area, which connects passengers to
the Security Hold Area, the installation provided the brand with maximum exposure.
• Promote small businesses.
• Tie-ups with small businesses (brick and mortar) around the
country and route customers to them.
• Engage more with youth by organizing or sponsoring youth
• Theme based events for the target groups.
• Innovative selling by integrating social media platforms (SYNC).
• Personalized offers (Mass Customization).
• Stress more on social media platforms than ATL campaigns.
• Increase promotions on smart phones (Mobile Apps).
• Rather than direct promotions, they focus more on demand generation
(pull strategy for travel cards).
• Constant activities on social media platforms.
• Make customers feel special. American Express addresses their
customers as “ CardMembers” never as “Customers”.
• Customer Engagement on a large scale through interactive campaigns as
• Focus on Cause Marketing.
• Have target group oriented loyalty programs.
• Harness technology to enhance customer experience.