Creative Brand Strategy Project Story-telling and Brand Development course 12/18/2010 Crystal Angeles
S.M.A.R.T Goals1. Will attain respect and trust of local (cross promoting) galleries to maintain a consistent ﬂow.2. Will successfully join the Chicago Artists Coalition (http://chicagoartistscoalition.org/) andbecome a viable member of their community with regular attendance and substantial input.3. Effectively gain a mail/email list of at least 100 new clients in 60 days, through both electronicand live marketing techniques.
1. 3rd Friday arts - Where a collection of galleriesall have opening receptions on the same date. This inspires abigger gathering and more networking opportunities. http://zhoubartcenter.blogspot.com/
2. NEXT, Art Chicago, Art Basel - The upscaleart fairs are designed to enhance the exposure of your gallery.They draw in galleries from all over the world and have mini-exhibits of artists you represent/exhibit. http://www.nextartfair.com/ - http://artchicago.com/ - http://artbasel.com/go/id/ss/lang/eng/
3. Facebook, Twitter, Artslant - Using socialnetworking sites can greatly improve your visibility to awider audience. Not just local, but national and internationalas well. They are also good for drawing in a younger crowdthat relies heavily on web based searches. http://www.ﬁnearttips.com/2010/04/thinking-outside-the-frame-whats-your-art-marketing-tip/
4.Continue to build mailing and emaillists - By keeping your lists up to date and consistant, youstand a better chance of building your client base. Byshowing your consistancy, you build your word of mouthand also your loyal clientele base. http://artbusiness.com/art_business_plan.ht
5.Join local museums, arts organizations,dealer associations, and show up atsigniﬁcant arts events and fundraisers - Thisputs the gallery into contact with speciﬁc people. This is how astable reputation is built and also puts you on the map for seriouscollectors and buyers. http://artbusiness.com/art_business_plan.html
6. Advertise - An age old way of marketing is to advertiseyour gallery in arts related magazines. Much like socialnetworking, this can reach a larger audience. This shows thatyou are not only trying to reach a local market, but alsobringing your brand to serious collectors and art appreciators.http://chicagoartmagazine.com/ - http://artnews.com/home/
7. Lectures - In gallery lectures are a great way to gaincommunity involvement. They give an interested audience, whomay want to know more about art, a chance to learn and meet withother appreciators. Also, if these lectures are taped, they can beadded to the gallery website onto an archive for review later. Thisalso gives your website an increased return rate.
8. Keeping an updated website - One of the mostimportant aspects of a gallery (as well as any business) is having aregularly updated website. These is going to build your retention rate,as well as to keep your gallery higher on the search engines. If yourclientele sees the same information over and over again they will loseinterest and eventually stop visiting your website.
9. Press Releases - It is important to have an effect pressrelease as this is the major point of contact between the gallery andthe news reporter. Press releases should be sent to all the majornewspapers and arts papers in the region at least one month inadvance. This way, they will be sure to have a print and anyinterviews that may arise can be conducted in a timely manner.
Extended Marketing Choice10.Cross Promotion - To build a lasting reputation in the artworld, it is important to meet your “neighbors”. One way to make this work,is to cross promote the gallery with neighboring galleries that aren’t directcompetitors. For example, since LMar Gallery deals only withcontemporary artworks, it would be a wise choice to cross promote with agallery that only exhibits sculpture. This will quickly build a positivereputation and improve the clientele base.
Schneider Gallery (Chicago)Schneider Gallery Contemporary Photography. They do photography only.
Douglas Dawson Gallery (Chicago) Textiles gallery. Thank You