Contraindications of syringe IV access
1) Arteriovenous shunt
2) Post mastectomy
3) Burn , infection or fracture over the site
Steps of IV insertion
Should prepare a syringe , tourniquet , alcohol swab , plaster ,
gauze , gloves ( substance to be injected if any ?? )
6) Site preparation: (Vein preparation)
Which Veins ??
1. Look for a vein , the most straight vein (from distal to
2. Apply tourniquet (8-10cm above vein).
4. Tapping of the vein; WHY ??
5. Palpation of the vein. Palpable NOT visible !!
6. Disinfection; HOW ??
7) Skin traction ( Distal to site of puncture )
8) Skin support
9) Insertion :
15-30 degrees to skin
Bevel always up
Grading always up
Look for blood in the hub
10) Fixation (With non dominant hand).
12) Confirmation (Avoid extravasation).
13) When withdrawing :
• Withdraw enough sample
• Remove tourniquet
• Pull syringe out with pressure on puncture site.
14) Compression on site and plaster (3 minutes).
Complications of syringe IV access :
Extravasation; How to deal with ??
Types of blood collection tubes ??
What’s a Vacutainer ??
What if ????
Bleeding that doesn’t stop after syringe ?
Can’t find an IV access ?
Fragile veins in hands ?
You are going to inject local anesthesia ?
Suspected painful insertion??
Resistance during insertion ?