● It is a multi-point cutting tool machining operation used for removing a layer of
material from the complete surface of the workpiece and it is also used for
producing holes in the components.
● Machining of flat surfaces, Slots, pockets, keyways, and profile.
● The Surface finish achievable is (RA value in microns ):3.2
● The Cutting tools used are made up of HSS CARBIDE material.
● The Milling Machine can be performed by both conventional and CNC type.
Types of Milling Machines:
● Horizontal milling machine.
● Vertical milling machine.
● Plain milling machines.
● Ram type milling machine.
● Universal milling machine.
● Bed Type milling machine.
1.Face Milling Operations:
● If the Milling Operation is used for removing a layer of material from a complete
surface of the workpiece is called a face Milling Operations.
2.Slot/Slab Milling Operations:
● If the Milling Operation is used for producing slots in the component is called a slab or
slot Milling Operations.
● In general, both the types of milling operations will be performed by using both the type
of milling cutters but it is preferable to perform face Milling Operation with end mill
cutter and slab Milling Operations with a peripheral milling cutter.
● When peripheral milling cutter is used for performing the Milling Operation there are two
methods of milling will be used.
3.End Milling Operation:
● By end mill cutter, we can perform End Milling Operation.
● For machining slots, pockets, keyway, etc.
4.Angular Milling Operation:
● Angle milling cutter or fitting spindle head in vertical.
5.Side and Face Milling Operation:
● By side and face milling cutter we can perform this operation.
6.Form Milling Operation:
By form milling cutter, we can perform this operation.
● 7.Slitting Operation:
By the metal slit saw.
● 8.Keyway Milling Operation:
By plain milling cutter or end milling cutter, we can perform this operation.
9.Gear Cutting Operation:
by using Formed tooth cutter with dividing head.
10.Profile Milling Operation:
By a ball nose cutter on CNC Milling machine (Both 3D and 2D profiles)
11.Helical Milling Operation:
Produces grooves and prosperity of cylindrical work.
For more information, visit
Milling Operations-Milling Machines,Milling Cutters,Up&Down