▪ ops, infrastructure and security lead at
▪ background in software architecture
(SOA), building private cloud
infrastructure, infrastructure as code
▪ strong interest in distributed systems
▪ father of two
▪ esports fan
Whether you are sitting at your
computer at work. Or sitting in
another country. Or even if your
phone is off, immmr makes it so
that your mobile world is always
Access your calls, messages, and
contacts from any device. Even if
it’s not your own. Desktop. Tablet.
Home. Or away. Just login.
▪ May 2015 in Silicon Valley
▪ initial idea to use it for Telco requirements of distributed (edge) container clusters
▪ focus on networking, alpha user of project calico <3
▪ Kubernetes WS from Google
Kubernetes first contact
▪ joined project as ops lead
▪ ongoing project "microservice-based"
▪ microservices? Yes every service even has its own database, isn't that cool?
▪ Uh, and how do we scale?
From development to production
▪ almost, lets go down to 2 databases please --> CouchDB and Postgres
▪ Scaling for free (almost)
▪ service discovery via DNS
▪ many useful features: canary deployment, healing, secrets, configmaps
Kubernetes to the rescue
▪ client driven updates: resolved,
deployments 4tw :)
▪ (external) load balancing on AWS - using
terraform automated ELBs; ingress in the
▪ persistence layer: currently to afraid to
run our "normal" databases in cluster
▪ transforming configs from chef to
▪ namespaces: cluster-in-cluster
▪ dynamic storage allocation via EBS
▪ automated ELB setup or ingress