Build a FREE SharePoint 2013 VM Environment using Azure IaaS
Building a full farm install in Azure
• Schedule and evaluate each session you attend via our mobile
app that can be used across devices at
• You will be able to evaluate a session 25 minutes before the
scheduled end time
• Evaluations are stored anonymously and your feedback is
• The app will be the only method available to submit session
evaluations for the event and we hope you find it intuitive and
• Do you have an MSDN subscription?
• Do you know how to install SharePoint 2010/2013?
• Active Directory, SQL Server, and SharePoint?
• Have you ever setup VMs using VMWare / Hyper-V?
• Does your work PC have 16gb ram or less?
setting the scene
Introducing Azure IaaS - Quickly
Introducing Azure IaaS
Azure capabilities allows building an entire infrastructure in
Being able to use this power to build a development
environment enables large servers and general access where
local VMs typically fall short, without incurring huge costs as
part of the MSDN benefits.
Azure Networks allow for two needed components.
• Allows Cloud Services to map to internally assigned IPs
• E.g. 10.0.0.x
• Virtual Network
• Connects VMs together on the same Subnet inside of Azure.
• Think of this as your “Host Network”
Cloud Services and Storage
• Cloud Services
• Creates mapping from external host name ____.cloudapp.net
• Allows VM to be stopped, but when started remap to same host
name (different external IP though)
• Allows EndPoints to be opened (FireWall)
• No cost
• Creates BLOB container to hold all VHD files.
• Always costs to store VHDs
Virtual Machine Gallery
• Quickly create images of systems which have been sysprep’d
• Follow SharePoint Saturday St. Louis on Twitter
@spsstlouis and hashtag #spsstl
• Play “Sponsor Bingo” to register for your chance to
win one of the many great giveaways at the end of
• Schedule and evaluate each session you attend via
our mobile app that can be used across devices at