• Address the major struggles or challenges that are present for student
access to services for first-generation college bound students.
• Visualize the information gathered in ways that educators can use to
supplement and make data-driven decisions to improve student success
(not replacing educators, rather provide them with data to inform their
4. Warmer: Turn and Talk (2 mins each)
When you think about providing student services to students, what’s been
your experience on how students access services? What are some major
struggles or key challenges that you think comes up around student access
for first generation low-income students?
5. What is the Needs Mapper and how it
is related to data visualization?
• Created to capture student and family needs in the K-12 environment
• Provide a quick snapshot into holistic needs--academic, behavior, social,
emotional, health and wellness
• Uniform, individual and population-level data about needs, risk factors, and
conditions at home
• Actionable next steps based on data
6. 4 Types of Data Visualization
7. 4 Types of Data Visualization
8. Needs Mapper Group Activity
• Using your smartphone - follow instructions to take the Needs Mapper.
• Your instructions should have a student name and date of birth. Enter the
student name and date of birth.
• Take the Needs Mapper (think of one of your 12th grade students who’s
still in high school that will be transitioning).
9. Needs Mapper Group Activity
• In Groups, look at the data on your tablet and answer the following questions:
• What do you see in the data?
• What decisions would you try to make when you look at needs assessment, based on your role,
what type of actions would you take with this data?
• What services should we focus on?
• Brainstorm on services.
• Gallery Walk.
10. Group Discussion
Turn and Talk:
● How did data visualization and technology help and what do you think the ROI would be when
taking the Needs Mapper?
● How did this process promote student access?
Whole Group Share Out
11. Next Steps
● Questions or for further information please email
firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.ryecatcher.com
Steven Lam, Director of Growth and Partnerships,
L. Arthi Krishnaswami, CEO, email@example.com