3. GOODFELLAS Director: MARTIN SCORCESE Year: 1990‘As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster’are the words provided by the narrator and main character ofthe film, Henry Hill. The film follows him through his life,beginning with him quitting school at 16 to work under theLucchese crime family, right up to a middle aged Henry settledout of gangster life after enrolling in the Witness ProtectionProgram.
4. TRUE ROMANCE Director: TONY SCOTT Year: 1993After what appears to be by chance, a comic book shop workerClarence meets and falls in love with a call girl namedAlabama. They marry a day later. Clarence goes over to see herboss to collect her stuff. They begin to fight and Clarence killshim, taking a bag that he thinks is Alabama’s. It turns out itcontains a large amount of cocaine, giving them a chance to makea lot of money – but the gangster’s that own it aren’t willing tolet it go without a fight.
5. THE GODFATHER Director: FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA Year: 1972Vito Corleone is the aging don (head) of the Corleone MafiaFamily. His youngest son Michael has returned from WWII but hejust wants to live a normal life. Drug dealer Virgil Sollozzo islooking for Mafia Families to offer him protection in exchangefor a profit of the drug money. He approaches Don Corleoneabout it, but he is morally against the use of drugs, and turnsdown the offer. This does not please Sollozzo, who has the Donshot down by some of his hit men. The Don barely survives, whichleads Michael to begin a violent mob war against Sollozzo whichtears the Corleone family apart.
6. Gangster Movies are my favourite kind of movies for a number of reasons.As well as the violence, which most lads my age enjoy, the storylines are usually very good, especially in the 3 examples I havechosen. Whether they provide a twist or just tell a linear narrative, they always keep you engaged and interested in what’s going on.The acting is usually superb too. The cast of these types of movies are predominantly Italian-American, which provide anopportunity for a talented young actor tofind a way into the movie business. Some go on to have very successful and prolonged film careers, such as Joe Pesci, Ray Liottaand more as well as the legendary actors Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, who both made their breakthroughs by starring in crime orientated films.Another thing I really like about Gangster Movies are the sheer suspense that isapparent when watching. Sometimes there are certain scenes where there is a lot of talking going on. During these scenes thetension builds and builds, coming to a head
7. Star theory sometimes plays a huge part in a films success. Star theory basically means the power a famousactor or director can have in influencing a person’s choice to spend their money to watch a film.A film could have the best script in the world, but there is a possibility that it will fail at the Box Office because they don’t have the draw or the appeal of a high-profile actor or director.If you see a trailer of a film that has the name ofsomeone you are a big fan of attached to it then itbecomes more likely to succeed at the Box Office. Robert De Niro and Al Pacino are actors whowould bring in a big audience to a crime orientated film. This is because they have made a career of starring in films of this genre as well as taking that success into more mainstream films, such as family comedies. An example of star theory in crime movies is the film ‘Righteous Kill’, starring both De Niro and Pacino. Prior to it’s release, it gained a massive buzz around it as it starred these two heavy weights in the same film. The critical responsehowever was poor, so this proves that sometimes
8. As well as star theory, there are many reasons as to why I may choose to watch a film. I must admit though that I too was excited for Righteous Kill and was also disappointed with the outcome. Nevertheless, it was still fascinating to see De Niro and Pacino share sufficient screen time, something which only happened for two scenes in Heat and did not happen at all in The Godfather Part II. I do get attracted to films sometimes byreading a critics view beforehand. People mightdisagree with this and say its better to watch it and gather your own opinion yourself, but I don’t really want to spend a lot of money these days on a film that has been panned by every working film critic. It seems I dodged a bullet by not watching Movie 49, a film I liked the look of by watching the trailer but byresearching I find it to be described by some as ‘the worst movie ever’. It apparent that I am a big fan of gangster and crime films, so whenever a new one is releasedor I come across an old one which I havent seen, I’ll always watch it. Gangster Squad has been released quite recently and although it has astellar cast, that wasn’t the reason I watched it.
9. There are many ways I use to find out about a film’s release. Trailers are a big way of finding out about a film’s release, and there are a few different methods of how to see one. One way is by seeing a trailer being played at acinema before your film begins. The trailers are usually screened a few months before the film’s release, sometimes even a year before if the film is expected to be a huge blockbuster. Another way is by seeing a shorter trailer played during the advert breaks on the TV. These are shown quite close to the release date, the furthest being a month before. Another way is by actually going onto a film website and checking out any new trailers thatthey might have their hands on, usually shown a long time before the movies release date. You can also find out about release dates by reading the newspaper, magazines and the internet. The internet is becoming more and moreprominent in the movie business nowadays. Film studios find they can get any information