2. • My project is about• Why I chose cetacean strandings• What I already knew• What I have learned• Sources of information• What is still to be done
3. • Cetacean Strandings Around Scotland’s Coast• The causes of Cetacean strandings• The increase/decrease of strandings• Environmental/non-environmental contributors to strandings• Media coverage of Strandings• Public opinion
4. • Interest in Marine Biology.• Not a widely discussed topic.• Little known due to lack of public attention.
5. • Strandings involve dead or alive animals, caused by different reasons.• Occur by accident or due to illness, injury or death.• Human contributions are to a large scale.• Aware of the apparent increase in strandings.
6. • Sociable strandings occur.• Not many people are aware of strandings even though there seems to be increased media coverage.• “Fishies Royal”• Continuous increase in contributors to strandings
7. Journals Such as: • The Possible Impacts Of Military Activity On Cetacean In West ScotlandBooks Such as: • The Mystery of Whale Strandings: A Cause and Effect Investigation by Jody Sullivan • The Whale Scientists: Solving the Mystery of Whale Strandings by Fran HodgkinsWebsites such as: • Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust • Uk Strandings • Natural History Museum
8. • Continue comparing information on past and more recent strandings.• Questionnaire.• Contact Organisations.• Adjust layout of report.
9. • Information was not as readily available as I first thought.• 700 years of records.• Awareness seems to be low.• Causes seem to be ever increasing.• People can be very unhelpful.
10. • Limited access to information – Ample information and new sources found.• Lack of availability of people to interview and meet – Try and contact people through email/telephone for those unable to meet.• Time Management – Developed a study/work plan and prioritised work.• Research techniques – Looked at research methods and picked one that suited me.
11. Uk Strandings – www.ukstrandings.orgHDWT – www.whaledolphintrust.orgNatural History Museum -http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/groups/nhm-cetacean-strandings-project/index.htmlThe Whale Scientists: Solving the Mystery of WhaleStrandings by Fran Hodgkins (Book)Google images