• My project is about• Why I chose cetacean strandings• What I already knew• What I have learned• Sources of information• What is still to be done
• Cetacean Strandings Around Scotland’s Coast• The causes of Cetacean strandings• The increase/decrease of strandings• Environmental/non-environmental contributors to strandings• Media coverage of Strandings• Public opinion
• Interest in Marine Biology.• Not a widely discussed topic.• Little known due to lack of public attention.
• Strandings involve dead or alive animals, caused by different reasons.• Occur by accident or due to illness, injury or death.• Human contributions are to a large scale.• Aware of the apparent increase in strandings.
• Sociable strandings occur.• Not many people are aware of strandings even though there seems to be increased media coverage.• “Fishies Royal”• Continuous increase in contributors to strandings
Journals Such as: • The Possible Impacts Of Military Activity On Cetacean In West ScotlandBooks Such as: • The Mystery of Whale Strandings: A Cause and Effect Investigation by Jody Sullivan • The Whale Scientists: Solving the Mystery of Whale Strandings by Fran HodgkinsWebsites such as: • Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust • Uk Strandings • Natural History Museum
• Continue comparing information on past and more recent strandings.• Questionnaire.• Contact Organisations.• Adjust layout of report.
• Information was not as readily available as I first thought.• 700 years of records.• Awareness seems to be low.• Causes seem to be ever increasing.• People can be very unhelpful.
• Limited access to information – Ample information and new sources found.• Lack of availability of people to interview and meet – Try and contact people through email/telephone for those unable to meet.• Time Management – Developed a study/work plan and prioritised work.• Research techniques – Looked at research methods and picked one that suited me.
Uk Strandings – www.ukstrandings.orgHDWT – www.whaledolphintrust.orgNatural History Museum -http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/groups/nhm-cetacean-strandings-project/index.htmlThe Whale Scientists: Solving the Mystery of WhaleStrandings by Fran Hodgkins (Book)Google images