The Android Market continued its growth in April 2011. It will overtake the Apple App Store and become the biggest distribution platform for smartphone applications worldwide (in terms of app numbers) by August 2011. Read this monthly insight report to stay up-to-date with the latest news from the Android Market.
Key insights in April are:
• App numbers reached almost 295,000
• In April 28,000 new apps were added to the market, which means that it grew 2.5 times faster than Apple App Store
• Paid app share remained constant at 36%.
• Amongst the major app platforms Android Market is still the one with the highest share of free apps, but new adds show a slight increase in paid app share (40%).
• Average selling price grew by 2% to US$ 3.23 in April.
• Top 5 categories comprise 55% of all Android Market apps.
• ‘Games’ was the fastest growing category. Given the same growth rates, ‘Games’ will become the No.1 category in July 2011.