Word Camp Ph 2009 Word Press In The WildPresentation Transcript
WordPress in the Wild
Optimization, and Security
Markku Seguerra / rebelpixel.com
It’s a wild world out there!
A guide to using WordPress in production
environments, from small blogs to full-
blown sites. Simplify deployment,
optimize performance, and increase
security with the most eﬀective plugins
and tweaks that help you get the most
from your WordPress-powered blog.
What is the most eﬀective way of
How do you maximize performance
of a WordPress blog?
How do you optimize your blog for
search and your target readers?
How do you protect your blog from
malicious users and catastrophic
Simple & Fast
* Download/wget from wordpress.org
* Copying from existing install is
* Use local installer with important
themes and plugins from oﬃcial
* Use only wordpress.org
* For themes & plugins, inspect code if
from other sources
* Use SSH/SFTP for secure transfer if
available; FTP is a last option
What limits performance?
* WordPress is dynamic
* WordPress is for everyone
* WordPress is too popular
WordPress is dynamic
* Every page view uses the
database (and the CPU)
* Use caching; WP Super
Cache works best!
WordPress is for everyone
* Some features are built for
the other half of its users
* Stick to what you need and
what works for you!
WordPress is too popular
* Almost automatically invites
* Akismet takes care of the
spam problem 99% of the time
More performance tricks
* Oﬄoad content (Amazon
S3, Flickr, YouTube, etc.)
* Use only necessary plugins
* Use 3rd-party comments
(Disqus, Intense Debate, etc.)