Meaningful use stage 2
Meaningful use stage 2 criteria focuses on more demanding
health information exchange
• The first stage of meaningful use is over and now the focus is shifting to the
next stage of the Meaningful Use program.
• Stage 2 of the Meaningful Use program is about sharing the data
apprehended in the first stage with the other stakeholders.
• It raises the core and menu demands and objectives a lot more of the
providers to qualify for incentive payments.
• With meaningful use stage 1, the stage 2 regulations and criteria is being
established by the CMS and the ONC
• Meaningful use stage 2 consists of continuations of stage 1 requirements,
with delicate demands for the electronic transactions.
Deadlines for Meaningful Use
• Deadline of Meaningful Use Stage 1 Feb 28, 2014 is the deadline for
reporting the attested results for Medicare. Deadlines for Medicaid is varies
by state, so that you’ll require to check with the state agency.
• Meaningful Use Stage 2 Deadline: Stage 2 attestation has been started
since Jan 2014 for the providers who already have passed the Stage 1. In
2014, the attestation period will be about 90 days, but an alteration in
requirements for EHR systems will increase the attestation to a full year
starting in 2015. The smaller period in 2014 will give a chance to providers to
upgrade or acquire to Stage 2 compliant technology.
Achieve meaningful use stage 2
• On August 23, 2012, CMS announced final rules to administrate Stage 2 of
the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
• The rule identifies the criteria of Stage 2 which EP, eligible hospitals, and
CAH meet to continue to participate in the EHR Incentive Programs.
• The final rule for meaningful use Stage 2 proposes to rising health
information exchange between providers and encourage patient engagement
by providing patients protected online access to their health information.
Improve safety, quality, efficiency
Engage families and patients
Improve the care coordination
Improve population and public health
Ensure Security and privacy for Personal Health Information
• The CMS presented a final rule on August 23, 2012, which specifies the
criteria of Stage 2 that eligible professionals , eligible hospitals, and critical
access hospitals meet to continue to get participated in the Medicaid and
Medicare EHR Incentive Programs.
• There are remarkable changes in Stage 2 which includes extended definition
of patient encounters and meeting menu objectives . CMS is also lengthening
flexibility of States with the definition of meaningful use to Stage 2.
• CMS reported a final rule which specifies the criteria of Stage 2 which
eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals meet to
continue to get participated in the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive
• All providers have to achieve meaningful use under the criteria of Stage 1
before moving to Stage 2.
Stage 2 Meaningful use criteria focus on;
• Improved requirements for incorporating lab results and e-prescribing
• Electronic transmission for the summaries of patient care through the
number of settings
• Extra patient-controlled data