Ramayana Chapter Notes Chapters 4, 5, and 6
- Ravana hears of brother’s death. Revenge=CAPTURE SITA
- Maricha objects claiming that it will destroy the city.
- Ravana feels that Rama is not match for his wit or strength.
- Maricha’s plan=to lure Sita with a beautiful golden and silver deer with antlers of sapphire and skin as soft as petals of flowers
- Sita sees the deer and wants it.
- Lakshmana tells Rama to beware of the deer. He felt is could be a rakshasas in disguise.
- Rama doesn’t heed the advice and asks Lakshmana to watch Sita.
- Rama follows the deer, shoots it and Maricha resumes his shape.
- Maricha disguises his voice as Rama’s and calls Lakshmana.
- Sita hears the cry and tells Lakshmana to find Rama.
- Lakshamana refuses. Sita is angry. Lakshmana goes.
- Ravana watches Sita and disguises himself as a holy hermit. The forest knew.
- Ravana approaches Sita, introduces himself and asks her to choose him as her love.
- Sita refuses. Ravana kidnaps her as she shouts for her husband and Lakshmana.
- Brahma is happy=Ravana will die.
- Sita throws her golden veil and jewels to the earth/monkeys.
- Sugriva, the monkey king, tells Rama of his wife’s kidnapping and agrees to help Rama.
- Hanuman will be able find Sita.
- Rama gives Hanuman his signet ring to show Sita.
- Hanuman turns into a cat and enters Lanka but cannot find Sita.
- Sita is in the forest with Ravana. She refuses him. Hanuman whispers to her and gives her the signet ring.
- Sita asks Hanuman to give Rama a jeweled token.
- Rama speaks to Hanuman about his wife.
- Sugriva and Rama lead the monkey to the great sea.
- Kumbha-karna promises to support Ravana in his plight to destroy Rama.
Hanuman burns part of Lanka.
- Vibhishana will not fight as he states,”The warrior who fights the right fight is doubly armed”
- Vibhishana becomes king after Ravana is defeated.
- Battle: might #1=Rama, #2=Ravana
- Rama fights Ravana on the back of Hanuman, demolishes chariot, breaks crown and wounds Ravana with arrows.
- Rama doesn’t kill Ravana because he is too weak to fight.
- Kumbha-karna joins Ravana to fight, kills hundreds of monkeys and refuses to fight Lakshmana so that he may save his strength for Rama.
- Rama tears off K-k’s arms and with Indra’s great arrow severs his head from his neck.
- Lakshmana kills Ravana’s son.
- Ravana enters with a new chariot and horses.
- Indra resolves to help the righteous Rama by providing him with golden armor and a horse drawn chariot.
- Rama slices off all ten of Ravana’s head but they continue to grow back.
- Brahma’s arrow kills Ravana-heart.
- Rama sends Hanuman to retrieve Sita.
- Rama tells Sita that she bears a moral stain because she has lived with another man.
- Rama explains that he must publicly renounce her.
- Sita asks her husband why he rescued her.
- She claims that she has not been unfaithful and that he needs to restore her honor.
- Sita enters the flames and disappears.
- Sita passes the test of purity.
- D-r speaks to Lakshmana asking him to take care of Rama. D-r asks Sita to forgive Rama.
- Indra gives Rama a gift of renewed life for the dead who fought for his cause.
- Hanuman requests eternal life to tell the tale.
- Rama and Sita are the King and Queen of Ayodhya for 10, 000 years.
- Rama meets wise men at the Ganges. Rama asks what his subjects think of him. The wise men say that his subjects criticize Rama for taking back Sita.
- The wise men tell Rama to renounce Sita again but Rama knows that she is pure.
- Lakshmana is to take Sita to Valmiki’s and leave her to rest as she is pregnant.
- Sita accepts her exile because it is her dharma.
- Sita gives birth to twins.
- Valmiki teaches the children to sing The Ramayana.
- Brahma requests that Valmiki put Rama’s story into beautiful verse.
- Valmiki creates The Ramayana .
- Years pass and Rama has a celebration for his subjects. Valmiki attends with Rama’s twin sons.
- Rama realizes that they are his children and speaks to Valmiki about Sita.
- Rama wants his wife back after she proves her purity again.
- Sita claims that it is time to leave her life behind.
- The earth opens, a golden throne rises and Sita leaves.
- Brahma tells Rama that he will rejoin Sita. They will live as Vishnu and Lakshmi.
- Rama and his brothers enter the afterlife as Vishnu.