How to Advocate for EM
Steven Elsbecker D.O. & Casey Fox D.O.
• ACOs and why you should care about them.
• Why should you get involved in healthcare advocacy?
• How do I get involved?
Why Do We Need a Change?
• Fee for Service Model
Problems With FFS Model
• Insurance companies worry about shareholders
• Hospitals worry about profit margins (or just staying afloat)
• Physicians worry about law suits and their 401k’s
• And patients…
• Realign interests
• Cost efficiency is king
• Dollars saved within the system are recognized and redistributed
• Physician reimbursement
• Cost to patient reduced
How to Get Involved
At the Local, State, and National level
• ACEP Code of ethics state:
• “EPs have an ethical duty to promote populations health by advocating for laws,
policies and programs to improve the overall health and safety of the public”
• Advocacy includes physicians day on the hill, testifying before a committee,
corresponding or meeting with elected officials, drafting a bill, etc
Find Your Passion
• Advocacy is best done when it is founded on passion
• EPs are confronted daily with situations that they wish they could change
• EMTALA issues, malpractice caps, reimbursement plans
• Determine what you care about, and change it for the best
• Once you find your passion….
• Research the subject matter
• Understand you opponents views
• Gun control review NRA website and policies
• Be familiar with current legislation
• Understand your elected officials voting record
• Think about it as a consult….
• Who you are
• What you want them to do
• Tell the story concisely
• Restate your request
• Means of establishing contact
• Direct mail
• Face to Face
• Testifying in Committee
• Social Media
• Use of social media allows two way traffic between officials and their voters
• The use of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have made access to your advocacy
target easier than ever
• Our current FFS model is unsustainable
• ACOs aim to realign fiscal goals and improve efficiency and outcomes
• Get involved in one of the many outlets available to us
• Get involved in something that you’re passionate about
• Its easier to get in touch with elected officials than you think
Rep Joe Heck
Rep Steven Horsford
Rep Dina Titus