• The Cleveland Browns were established in
1946 and named after the head coach
Paul Brown (pictured right). They were
originally part of the All-American Football
Conference. After easily winning the
Championship the first four years the
Browns left the AAFC and joined the NFL.
• The Browns continued to have the same
success in the NFL and won three
championships within their first six years
in the league.
• While the Browns have won many NFL
Championships they have not won one
since the creation of the Super Bowl. After
many frustrating years, then owner, Art
Modell decided to move the team to
Baltimore after the 1995 season, where
they would become the Ravens.
• Due to the large number of fan
complaints the NFL decided to
bring the Browns back in 1999.
Since their return to the league the
Browns have struggled to get back
into the ranks of the NFL’s elite.
• In 2009 the Browns finished with a
5-11 record. The highlight of the
season was finally defeating the
rival Pittsburgh Steelers after losing
to them twelve straight games.
• After a disappointing season the
Browns brought on Mike Holmgren
(pictured left) as team President in
hopes that he can help turn them
around and return to playoffs and
eventually the Super Bowl.
• What year were the Cleveland Browns
• How did the Browns get their name?
• After being moved to Baltimore the Browns
were brought back into the NFL in what year?
• What was the Browns 2009 season record?
• Jim Brown- One of the best running backs to ever
play the game, Jim Brown (pictured right) played for
the Browns from 1957 to 1965. Over the nine years
that Jim played for the Browns he made a pro-bowl
every year and led the league in rushing for eight.
• Otto Graham- The original star player and
quarterback of the Browns, Otto led his team to win
all four AAFC Championships and three NFL
Championships. Over his career Otto threw for
23,584 yards and 174 touchdowns.
• Lou Groza- Over his long 21 year career Lou
revolutionized the way that teams thought about
kicking. Lou played both on the offensive line as a
tackle and as the Browns kicking specialist. Lou’s
biggest moment came in 1950 when he kicked a last
second field goal to beat the Los Angeles Rams and
win the NFL Championship.
• Ozzie Newsome- Ozzie was drafted by the Browns in
the first round of the 1978 draft. He had an amazing
13 year career and left the league as the all time
leading tight end in receiving . Ozzie also played in
three pro bowls.
• Brady Quinn- After a very
impressive college career at Notre
Dame the Browns drafted Quinn in
2007. While Quinn has struggled
during his first couple of seasons
the Browns are still holding on to
the hope that he can be their
quarterback of the future.
• Joshua Cribbs- Originally signed by
the team as a punt and kick
returner, Josh Cribbs (pictured left)
quickly impressed the couching
staff and found himself a place as a
wide receiver. Undoubtedly his
most impressive stat is his total of 8
kick returns for a touchdown, which
leads the league.
• How many times did Jim Brown play in the pro
• How many touchdowns did Otto Graham
throw over his career?
• What two positions did Lou Groza play?
• What NFL record does Joshua Cribbs hold?
• After an amazing season the
Browns found themselves in the
1986 AFC Championship game
versus John Elway (pictured right)
and the Denver Broncos. Leading
20-13 late in the forth quarter the
Browns figure they will soon be
making the trip to their first
Super Bowl, however, with only
minutes left in the game John
Elway leads the Broncos down
the field to score and steal a
victory away from the Browns.
• In 1987 the Browns found themselves
in a very similar situation to the year
before, playing the Denver Broncos in
the AFC Championship game. The
Broncos take the lead early and
dominate the first half. After halftime
the Browns begin a scoring
extravaganza to bring themselves back
into the game. With two minutes on
the clock the browns attempt to take
the lead with a touchdown by Earnest
Byner (pictured left). Fate would have a
different plan as Byner would fumble at
the goal line and the Browns would lose
a second straight AFC Championship to
the Broncos, watching their Super Bowl
dreams slip away again.
• What team did the Browns lose back-to-back
AFC Championships to?
• What was the score before the John Elway led
his team to victory on “The Drive”?
• Which Browns player is responsible for “The