1. Connecting People to StrategyIntroducing Strategic LiteracySM A Breakthrough Approach from Tailwind
2. 73% of workers say their organization’s strategies and goals arenot translated into specific tasks they can execute.70% of workers do not know what to do to support their organization’sstrategy.81% of workers do not feel committed to their organization’s strategy.87% of workers are not satisfied with the results of their work.Excellence in Execution remains the number one issue cited byCEO’s Worldwide.“…a staggering 95% of employees in a company are either unaware of,or do not understand the strategy.” Kaplan and Norton Why focus on Strategic Literacy?
4. Most people are not literate in their own strategy you Strategically Literate?
5. Strategicpeople, andTailwind focuses on aligning your Literacy their work, with your strategy
6. Symptoms of Gaps in Organizational Literacy Strategy not clear Strategy not easily and focused Senior understood Leaders Executives not Lack of Strategic collaborating on Executives Thinking skills by execution Executives Strategy not Everyone not on the translated at the Managers same page Individual level Organization not Employees do not aligned around its understand the Supervisors strategic intent strategyToo many initiatives Employees not & they’re not committed to the aligned with the Employees strategy strategy How do you know when you have a problem with Strategic Literacy?
7. Aligning Executives andManagersAlignment is a term that can representwide variability in actual results.Organizations can be aligned aroundMission and Values, but not long termStrategy. Or aligned around a SharedVision, but not in the StrategicImperatives they need to realize thatVision. Often executives and managersmight agree on the “What”, but not onthe “How.”True alignment involves having a SharedVision, then using a consistent ThinkingFramework to translate that Vision intoreal work. True alignment involvesprecision of thought—where executivesand managers at all levels collaboratearound a central intent.Tailwind’s process is built around truealignment and precise thinking. It alignsthe thinking—and the work—of eachexecutive and manager with the overallstrategy, and with each other.
8. A New Process forStrategic PerformanceSenior Leaders often struggle withgetting everyone on the same page sothat they are engaged and fully aligned.Enabling your team to collaboratearound a single strategy involves a lot ofmoving parts.Strategic Performance is what happensbetween your intent—what you want todo—and its execution by your people.Without a managed translation process,an organization’s intent is often dilutedas executives and managers interprettheir individual roles in execution.This dilution occurs because the strategicthinking of individual leaders often has ahigh degree of variability, or randomness.This randomness in the thinking processcauses leaders to think differently aboutthe urgency or relevance of problemsthey face. The predictable result isunfocused, ineffective execution of thosethings that are most strategically vital tothe organization.
11. Translating Strategy at theIndividual LevelAn organization’s strategy is oftendifficult to understand. Even if yourexecutives and managers do understandthe strategy, they are challenged toeffectively translate it for themselves andtheir part of the organization.The ability to translate strategy at theindividual level is like having a RosettaStone for your organization. The strategysuddenly makes sense—whether thelanguage being spoken is Operations, IT,HR, Sales, or Marketing—everyone isable to plug-in to the big picture andmake the right decisions.Tailwind’s process enables each executiveand manager to translate the overallstrategy and own that translation. Thepriorities that they set are perfectlyaligned with the overall direction. Thismakes them perfect agents for theoverall intent and aligns both theirthinking, and their work with thestrategy.
14. Articulation ProcessAs many as 95% of workers do notunderstand their organization’sstrategy. We often find that the Thinking as a Focus on Real Process Workstrategy is not as clear and focused asit needs to be. Individual IntegratedHow the strategy is structured and Translation Communicationarticulated makes all the difference. Aclear and compelling strategy focusesthe entire organization. Without theproper articulation process, a greatstrategy can falter in execution. Articulation Strategic Collaborative Engagement of Process LiteracySM the MindTailwind helps organizations articulatetheir strategy to ensure that it isunderstood by everyone. We alsowork with executives and managers toarticulate their own individualtranslation of the overall strategy sothat it can be executed.
15. Individual Translation73% of workers say that theirorganization’s strategy is not translatedinto specific tasks that they can execute. Thinking as a Focus on RealWorkers at all levels must translate Process Workstrategy in order to make decisions andconduct business. Individually translatingyour strategy is the key to aligning these Individual Integrateddecisions and tasks with your overall Translation Communicationintent.Tailwind has developed a breakthroughprocess that enables executives andmanagers to create individual GamePlans Articulation Strategic Collaborativethat are perfectly aligned with the overall Engagement ofstrategy. Our Strategic Partners at The Process LiteracySM the MindWork Itself Group have developed abreakthrough process for aligning workteams with the overall strategy andtranslating the strategy into the tasks ofeach individual worker.Working together, we can align the workof every worker with the overall strategythrough individual translation.
16. Thinking as a ProcessExecutives and Managers often lack aconsistent process for translatingstrategy. This leads to variability in Thinking as a Focus on Real Process Workexecution. And it is compounded by thefact that they are also inexperienced atstrategic thinking. Individual Integrated Translation CommunicationKnowing this, organizational leaders workto align everyone’s behaviors. But inreality, an individual’s thinking precedestheir behavior. If you want to effectivelychange behavior, the best place to start is Articulation Strategic Collaborative Engagement ofwith thinking. Tailwind’s approach Process LiteracySM the Mindfocuses on managing each individual’sthinking process as the key to realizingdesired behaviors.Tailwind has created a set of proventhinking frameworks that get everyoneon the same page to drive execution.
17. Focus on Real WorkWe focus on real work first, and learningoccurs as a by product, not the other wayaround. Thinking as a Focus on Real Process WorkThere’s a lot of buzz about “actionlearning”—having people learnsomething new while working in a Individual Integrated Translation Communicationsimulated environment—so that thelearning can then be effectivelytransferred back on the job. In fact,that’s the challenge with most newthings: first learning them, and thenattempting to transfer them to a real Articulation Strategic Collaborativesituation. Engagement of Process LiteracySM the MindTailwind’s approach is different. Itapplies directly to your own real work.We immediately engage your people inworking on what really matters to yourorganization—the execution of yourstrategy. Our clients are both pleasedand surprised by our approach becauseof the amount of real work that weaccomplish from the very beginning.
18. Integrated CommunicationCommunicating strategy goes wellbeyond sharing it with employees. Itincludes how the strategy is structured so Thinking as a Focus on Real Process Workthat it can be easily understood. Itinvolves how the senior executives areincluded so that they can buy into the Individual Integratedstrategy. It factors in how each person is Translation Communicationpresented with the opportunity and toolsneeded to align their individual workwith the strategy. It considers how eachperson understands their individual rolein executing the strategy. Strategic Collaborative Articulation Engagement of Process LiteracySM the MindAt Tailwind, our entire process isdesigned around an integratedcommunication process. Our overall goalis to make your people fully literate inyour strategy and we weave elements ofcommunication into every step of ourapproach. The result is that your peoplewill deeply understand your strategy andbe able to align their work in support ofit.
19. Collaborative Engagementof the Mind“Managers can’t align people withstrategy…people must align themselves.”*People align themselves when they are Thinking as a Focus on Realmentally engaged with the strategy and Process Workhave a structured process for collaboratingin its execution. That is, they have theopportunity to understand the big picture Individual Integratedand paint themselves into it. Translation CommunicationTailwind uses a consistent thinking processthat enables everyone to align around acommon strategy. It engages individualsin thinking through the strategy from their Articulation Strategic Collaborativeperspective. It provides them with the Engagement ofopportunity to be self-determinant in Process LiteracySM the Mindwhat they need to do in order to executeit.When people are empowered tocollaboratively engage in thinking aboutthe strategy, they own the outcomes. Thepriorities they set and the decisions theymake are aligned with the strategy. Theyrecognize and value collaboration as a keyto accomplishing their own work.* Dr. Brent Peterson and Gaylan Nielson, Fake Work
20. An Innovative New ApproachConnecting People to Strategy is achievedby making the organization strategicallyliterate in its own strategy. Tailwind’s Thinking as a Focus on Real Process Workapproach leverages six innovative designprinciples that enable its effectiveness. Individual IntegratedStrategic literacy galvanizes an Translation Communicationorganization’s people around its strategicintent. It enables them to understandtheir role and how they fit into the bigpicture. It provides a consistentframework for translating the overall Articulation Strategic Collaborative Engagement ofstrategy individually at their level. Process LiteracySM the MindStrategic Literacy is a new way ofthinking around how to deploy andexecute strategy. It broadens thepossibilities for how leaders can engageand align their organizations by changingthe collective mindset—one person at atime.