1. DATA ANDDISILLUSIONMENTSOLVEforINTERESTINGOTHERWISE LIFE IS DULL.
2. Volume (the “big” part) Pick any Velocity two Variety(the “fast” (the part) “anything” part)
3. Big Data is the Third Age of computing Computing Networking Big Data Automate Interconnect Predict & change things things things (Jim Stodgill of O’Reilly Radar said this.)
4. Enterprises expect Big Data to deliver betterdecisions and improved customer experiences What tangible beneﬁts do you hope to achieve through your big data initiatives? NewVantage Partners LLC www.newvantage.com
5. (And apparently Hadoop is winning) What data management approaches are you considering? NewVantage Partners LLC www.newvantage.com
6. Therelationaldatabaseis a general-purposetool.
7. A library is a database optimized for retrievalPhoto by cybrgrrl (http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/cybrgrl/1295482521/) on Flickr
8. A changecounter is adatabaseoptimized forinsertion
9. An example:eventualconsistency
10. “End of Day Balance will only appear for dates previous tothe last 2 business days.”“Transactions from today are reﬂected in your balance, butmay not be displayed on this page if you recently updatedyour bankbook, if a paper statement was recently issued, orif a transaction is backdated. These transactions will appearin your history the following business day.”
20. “…nobody notices oﬀers they do notget. And if these absent opportunitiesstart following certain social patterns(for example not oﬀering them tocertain races, genders or sexualpreferences) they can have a deep civilrights eﬀect.” Anders Sandberg, Oxford University
21. Personalization looks a lot like prejudice.
22. Big radio
23. Times a song in “heavy rotation”is played each day30 Every 55m15 Every 4h0 2007 2012