2. Is Downtown Crawfordsville A Worthwhile Investment? <ul><li>A downtown area is the symbol of a community’s economic health, quality of life, pride, and community history. </li></ul><ul><li>A vital downtown retains and creates jobs, strengthens tax revenues, and boosts economy. </li></ul><ul><li>A robust downtown reduces urban sprawl, supports local businesses, and keeps profits in town, supporting the community. </li></ul><ul><li>Downtown provides an important civic forum and sense of community. </li></ul><ul><li>Downtown areas can be visitor attractions and tourist destinations. </li></ul>
3. History The Crawfordsville Commercial Historic District has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1992. Crawfordsville Main Street began in 1999 as the Crawfordsville Downtown Revitalization Commission (CDRC), formed to combat the deteriorating physical features of the downtown area and a commensurate drop in economic vitality. The CDRC began with five commission members and soon expanded to ten to better serve the needs of downtown.
4. Marie Canine Plaza, 2003 Marie Canine Plaza, 2008
5. Freedom Clock Plaza, Dedicated November 2002
6. History In March 2002, the Crawfordsville Downtown Revitalization Commission became Crawfordsville Main Street when it adopted the Main Street Four-Point Approach to downtown revitalization. The National Main Street Center, created in 1980 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, advocates a four-point approach to downtown revitalization: Crawfordsville Main Street is now a nationally accredited member of both the National Main Street Center and Indiana Main Street.
7. Organization Organization involves getting everyone working toward the same goal and assembling the appropriate human and financial resources to implement a Main Street revitalization program. To that end, the Organization committee works to enhance community relations , recruit volunteer support, and seek a variety of methods and sources of funding.
8. Design An inviting atmosphere, created through attractive window displays, parking areas, building improvements, street furniture, signs, sidewalks, street lights, and landscaping, conveys a positive visual message about the commercial district and what it has to offer. Design activities also include instilling good maintenance practices in the commercial district, enhancing the physical appearance of the commercial district by rehabilitating historic buildings, encouraging appropriate new construction, developing sensitive design management systems, and long-term planning.
9. Promotion The Promotion committee enhances the downtown Crawfordsville area by providing special events to increase pedestrian traffic in the area. Promotion sells a positive image of the commercial district and encourages consumers and investors to live, work, shop, play and invest in the Main Street district. It is also the duty of the Promotion committee, in cooperation with Main Street’s press liaison, to regularly update the Crawfordsville community on Main Street accomplishments.
10. Economic Restructuring strengthens a community's existing economic assets while expanding and diversifying its economic base. Economic Restructuring The Main Street program helps sharpen the competitiveness of existing business owners and recruits compatible new businesses and new economic uses to build a commercial district that responds to today's consumers' needs .
11. Wabash Engagement The life of Crawfordsville’s Main Street area will be enhanced by attracting more students to shop, dine and recreate downtown. It is the charge of the Wabash Engagement committee to work with students to identify and provide appropriate retail, restaurant and entertainment venues to enhance our vibrant downtown area.
12. History Crawfordsville Main Street began receiving city funds in 2003. 2003 $25,000 2004 $25,000 2005 $35,000 2006 $35,000 2007 $35,000 2008 $10,000 2009 ? Crawfordsville Main Street has contributed to over $38 million in downtown revitalization since 1999.
13. <ul><li>$39 million investment since 1999 - 65% private </li></ul><ul><li>Updated streetscape design standards </li></ul><ul><li>Historic Preservation Commission standards </li></ul><ul><li>7 Indiana Main Street Awards since 2003 </li></ul><ul><li>2 Marketing Awards: “A Real Downtown” </li></ul><ul><li>New Crawfordsville Public Library—Downtown </li></ul>Successes Historic Rehab of the Year (2) Design of Downtown Public Improvements (2) Business of the Year Board Member of the Year Downtown Special Event
14. Successes Crawfordsville District Public Library, 2002: 24,000 sq. ft. Crawfordsville District Public Library, 2008: 60,000 sq. ft.
15. Downtown Crawfordsville “Paint the Town” Event, 2003
16. Award-winning events with affiliated marketing Successes
20. Successes Upper floor housing: 2003 Indiana Main Street Rehab of the Year
21. Successes Upper floor housing: 2003 Indiana Main Street Rehab of the Year
22. Successes Façade Grant Program: 2004 Indiana Main Street Rehab of the Year
23. Successes Façade Grant Program
24. Successes Façade Grant Program
25. Successes CMS has worked in conjunction with many local organizations to bring positive change to the community. <ul><li>Crawfordsville Art League </li></ul><ul><li>Flower Lovers’ Garden Club </li></ul><ul><li>Wabash College </li></ul><ul><li>Montgomery County Community Foundation </li></ul><ul><li>Crawfordsville Electric Light & Power </li></ul><ul><li>Montgomery County Visitors & Convention Bureau </li></ul><ul><li>Crawfordsville High School Students of Dr. Helen Hudson </li></ul>
27. Solutions <ul><li>Grant Awards </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Neighborhood Assistance Program (NAP): State funded program that encourages the support of community-minded organizations like Main Street </li></ul></ul>
28. Solutions <ul><li>Grant Awards </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Downtown Enhancement Grant from Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA): for marketing and branding program “This Place Matters” </li></ul></ul>
29. Solutions Recruiting Volunteers <ul><li>Grassroots Education & Outreach </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Partnering with community organizations to define Main Street’s role and enhance Crawfordsville pride </li></ul></ul>Continuing City Investment in Downtown
30. Solutions Crawfordsville Main Street is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible to the extent of the law. Please consult your tax advisor for more information. Membership Levels Plaza Level - $25 Arts and Culture Level - $50 Business Level - $100 Special Events Level - $250 “This Place Matters” Level - $500
31. What Can You Do? Working together, ordinary people can perform extraordinary feats. They can push things that come into their hands a little higher up, a little farther on towards the heights of excellence. --B.J. Marshall