According to Scarborough data, 46.76 million Americans used such services monthly in 2012, on average tuning in for 9 hours 46 minutes every week. eMarketer projects that nearly 54 percent of the entire U.S. population and as much as 67.4 percent of the U.S. internet users will have become online radio users by 2016.
Around 70 percent of Americans were aware of the service in September and 25 percent of those used it. In comparison, iHeartRadio could count on an awareness level of around 48 percent, and a 17 percent reach.
The insight is based on the secondary research I have collected and my analysis. It can be further prioritized based on the degree/level of implantation and user impact.
1. Latest Market Research on Market Expansion
2. Two types of users
Audio creators(artists, bands,
podcasters and ordinary people)
who provide the content for self-
promotion or sharing. (They also
act as the audience using the site
to interact with others.)
Users who listen to the
audio files, give comments
and share audio files on
SoundCloud community or
1. Which vertical should we focus on?
2. How will I test my hypothesis?
3. How can we apply the insights?
4. Which vertical should we
5. The future is
It's just not very
- William Gibson
6. ((The new era of radio))
has already arrived.
7. Why radio?
8. U.S. online radio market size
•Online radio is expected to generate 827
million U.S. dollars in revenue.
•67.4 % of the U.S. internet users will have
become online radio users by 2016.
•46.76 million Americans used such services.
•Tuned in 9 hours 46 minutes every week.
10. • 8.5 % of all radio listening
time in the U.S. in Feb 2013
• The highest rate of awareness
and broadest reach among
similar online services in 2012
11. Pandora’s competitive analysis
1. Self tailored music station
supported by its algorithm
2. Automated music
recommendation based on
collective user feedback
1. Unable to create and share
your own playlist
2. No social feature: “follow &
3. Limited social media
4. No playlist created by artists
5. Lukewarm relationship with
music industry and artists
6. Service limited in 3 countries
12. Pandora’s weakness
1. Easily create and share your own playlist
2. Strong social media & social network integration:
follow & discover artists
3. Many playlists created by artists and influencers
4. Strong relationship with music industry and artists
5. Global service
13. Potential market for SoundCloud
Steal market share by
positioning SoundCloud as
a social stream music site
advantage: the largest
community of creators
of music & audio
14. 80/20 Rule
Reuse existing features to solve
“new” problems & add more value
15. Radio creators’ problems & needs
• Enhance reach and awareness
• Get to know their audience
and feedbacks improve the
content & target radio ads
• High costs to cover the
bandwidth and servers
• No know-how about
setting up a radio
Creators: 1. Existing traditional radio stations
2. People who want to set up an online radio station.
16. Audience’s problems & needs
1. Radio services can’t help
them search for new music.
2. Online music sites can’t give
expert’s opinion on music
and provide info about what
others are listening to.
3. Annoying ads or paid
1. Curiosity about the artist’s
and band’s information
2. Curiosity about what friends
& others think of songs,
talks, and radio content
3. Use mobile phones to listen
The Role of Digital Audio in the Evolution of Music Discovery
17. Source: The Role of Digital Audio in the Evolution of
18. Based on TargetSpot Research & my observation…
38-42% of people “discover
new music” via online radios
The Role of Digital Audio in the Evolution of Music Discovery: http://www.cdn.targetspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/TargetSpot-Inc_Music-
19. Reuse existing features to solve
radio creators’ problems
Easily create an online radio program anywhere & anytime.
Enhance the interaction between
DJs and their audience.
Social media & network integration
Affordable Pro plan with
20. Adding value to existing creators
Act as a radio station sharing knowledge about music via
their music radios or radio shows and expand their audience.
21. Solve audience’s problems:
Radio + MusicSoundCloud app
[2 in 1]: Radio + Music
in SoundCloud app
•Convenience: listening to
radio, discover, and search for
new music at one site
•Insights: radio hosts & DJs
provide great sharing of music
22. People matters. People like to have
interactions and a company; time
spent on radio program is longer.
23. Listening to radio is a habitual behavior.
Increasing user engagement & connection
Having the online radio vertical, which
enables people listen to radio, discover, and
search for music at one site, would be popular
between radio creators and their audience.
25. Design the research & Test the hypothesis
Get out of the building!
26. Three ways to test the hypothesis
– Online survey
– Focus group interview
– Interview with a wireframe demo
Regarding the research plan to choose, it depends on the budget and timeline.
27. Five aspects of online survey
1. Demographic information
2. User’s existing behaviors and approaches toward
using online radio
3. Needs and reasons for using online radio
4. User’s opinion toward our competitor’s sites
5. Factors that influence their decision toward using
online radio service.
28. Gain insights from the focus
1. Identify patterns
1. Identify the user types
2. Address their specific pain points
3. Explore the possible improvement and solutions
_______ ________ ______ ____ ________
Problem Emotions Process Role Contexts Practical Needs
29. Interview with a wireframe demo
1. Test the understanding of the problem
2. Get customer feedbacks
3. Test the understanding of the solutions
4. Test whether the solution really solves the core
problem of customers
5. Learn the minimum viable features from the initial
30. Conclusion from the research
To answer the five key questions:
Who is our target user?
What do they care about?
When and where will
they use our product?
What features will differentiate our product?
Radio waveform inserted each song for
users to discover and search for new music
Develop easily-used widgets by the
engineering team or third-party
Tag feature DJ’s & host’s names, language, and mood.
Tune Facebook info to identify user’s
place to provide local radio recommendation
Radio category various subcategories
Turn the insights into action
Social media & blog sharing and promotion
Connect with the radio community
Build up a radio community, e.g. the global radio DJs/
hosts meetup day and meet your local DJs/hosts
Press release for promoting radio features to new users
SouncCloud 101 for radio stations
Cooperate with global & regional radio companies.
Others: car integration
Put radio features at the homepage
Turn the insights into action
33. What kind of impact we
have on our users?
34. From my campus radio to BBC,
from any radio to songs it plays,
the distance is within
“one or two clicks”.