Demonstrate my knowledge of the music industry, the
Spotify product, and my vision as a product owner
We will review of number of features and initiatives that I
feel would enhance the Spotify platform and help grow the
How loud is it going to get?!
Years playing and writing music !
Devices that run Spotify including
mobile and Sonos system!
Turntables and over 100 records!
My passion for music by the numbers
Reﬁnements! New Features! Big Bets!
The ideas that follow vary in size and scope
• Allow users to add a message when adding a
track to a playlist!
• Messages are displayed when other users play
• Enhance usersʼ listening experience by adding a
layer of personlization and social context to a
• Allow artists and experts to share their
knowledge and inﬂuences with listeners!
Activity Feed Comments!
• Allow users to add comments to items in their
• Comments for a userʼs activity are displayed in
either a new section or as part of Notiﬁcations!
• Provides a dynamic and lightweight way for users
to socialize around the music they listen to !
• Removes reliance on third-party platforms like
Facebook and Twitter for social collaboration and
helps reinforce user engagement within Spotify!
Customized Artist Pages!
• New portal for artists to customize their page on
• Provides the ability to include links to social
media, blogs, videos, unreleased demos and
remixes, upcoming shows, etc.!
• Establish Spotify as the only uniﬁed platform for artists and labels to
distribute music and communicate with their fans!
• Engage users and make Spotify the one-stop-shop for not only listening
to music, but also connecting with the artists behind the music!
• Existing services that provide complete platforms
for artists include Bandcamp, MySpace, and
custom websites for more established artists !
Upcoming Shows Playlist!
• New dynamically generated playlist that includes the top tracks of
artists who are playing upcoming shows in a userʼs location!
• Tracks are ordered chronologically by performance date!
• Advances Spotify as an online tool for users to experience music
in their ofﬂine world !
• Existing services like Pollstar already have a well-established
database of events and APIs for accessing this data !
Great American Saturday, May 6
Friday, May 5
Virtual DJ Experience!
• New section within Spotify that allows multiple users to listen to another user DJ in real-time!
• Provides social features like chat as well as a way for users to provide feedback to DJs on their
• Spotify feature which could displace entire products that
compete for user adoption and engagement!
• Lets users connect with other users in new ways to share,
discover, and discuss music on Spotify!
• Provides a platform for “special events” that allow artists to
connect with their fans by DJing their favorite music !
• This idea is very similar to existing services
like Turntable.fm and Mixcloud!
Advanced Recommendation Engine!
• Leverage Topographical Data Analysis and Spotify
listening history to cluster and ﬁnd relationships
• Introduce new music from a userʼs cluster or
nearby clusters for Spotify Radio and other Spotify
discovery features !
• Compared with textual or acoustical analysis, this approach
more closely parallels how music is referred between friends!
• Allows social collaboration and music discovery between
millions of Spotify users in an anonymous way!
• Topographical Data Analysis (TDA) is an emerging technology being used to cluster and ﬁnd
relationships between data sets with a large number of variables, such as genetics, drug discovery,
and geological studies!
2-sided Marketplace for Apps!
• Expand App Finder to be a true 2-sided marketplace where users
can add Paid or Free apps to Spotify!
• Include social proofs like ratings and reviews to reward apps that
enhance the Spotify experience in innovative ways!
• Leverage the over 20 million Spotify users to create an attractive
market for developers as well as a new stream of revenue for Spotify!
• Allow third-party developers to innovate on the Spotify experience to
help drive user engagement and platform loyalty!
• 2-sided marketplaces have been a proven
business model for delivering extensibility
for consumer and Enterprise products !
Integration with DJ software!
• Allow DJs to leverage Spotify tracks in their live sets
as part of remixes and sampling!
• Integrate with DJ software like Traktor to enable
access to Spotifyʼs ofﬂine content while maintaining
the integrity of Ogg Vorbis ﬁle protections!
• Enable thousands of DJs to use Spotify as a platform to create and
• Embrace an inﬂuential and growing user segment to help reinforce
Spotifyʼs competitive position against iTunes, Beatport, and others !
• DJ software needs access to complete tracks to analyze songs and establish beat grids!
• Beat grids help set cue points in a song that are used for looping and sampling during a
DJʼs performance !