1. Bigtop Working Group6/30/2013DC: Group Intro, Detailed historyRoman: Bigtop
2. History● 6 months 2 years ago for group to get to project delivery● Too long/took too much time from Roman,DC. We had to go to everymeeting● Got fantastic projects; mostly focused around builds b/c we spend all ourtime here● We used the same structure at work. Didnt know any better● High turnover, ~70->7. 90% drop out rate.– Not enough time, people dropped out after getting behind– Too much like work, reduce scope of projects, used to meet weekly. Lots of allnighters– People use it to switch careers
3. What you get out of joining theworking group: Hadoop/HBase●More detailed than anything you get from a 3 day training session.Costs to hire people to create material. They HAVE to charge$800-1k/day.●We arent a class. Work hard to make sure we dont turn into one.Have to respect people who have full time jobs and do this on theside. No Sponsorship can fix this.● People will use this as a class anyway. 40->7 people at the end● Goal to get create Apache Contributors. Too ambitious. GotImpressive code contributions. Projects<->Builds
4. Structure Modifications● 3 prescheduled sessions only. Once that is overwe see who is left● Groups, split the work and help to keep peoplemotivated in the group● First goal deeper dive into Hadoop*components
5. Bigtop Install and Build (too much)● Bigtop Install on wiki, 0.5.0 documented. Workon 0.6.0 and document?● Install the components, all of them? Developcomponent flows. Can start by running theindividual tests in the components thencombining them. Must haves HBase, Hadoop,Pig or Hive, Oozie, Zookeeper. More?
6. Bigtop Build(0.5.0)● Build instructions and test● Adding a new component– Mongodb (doesnt count)– Storm (into Hadoop, modify after Teds talk)
7. Bigtop Build(0.5.0)● Build instructions and test● Adding a new component– Mongodb (doesnt count)– Storm (into Hadoop, modify after Teds talk)