Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Presentation1 genetic
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Presentation1 genetic

251

Published on

Published in: Technology, Health & Medicine
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
251
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
7
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Tay Sachs Disease By: Alex Mancino
  • 2. Background info on Tay Sachs• Causes intense mental and physical deterioration at a young age• Currently there is no cure• Mutations in the HEXA gene cause Tay-Sachs disease
  • 3. Genetic Information• Autosomal recessive genetic disorder• It is caused by a genetic defect in a single gene with one defective copy of that gene inherited from each parent• Mutation is on 15th chromosome
  • 4. Mutation on 15th chromosome
  • 5. When each parent has the gene…• 50% chance that their child will be a carrier, but not have the disease• 25% chance that their child will not be a carrier and not have the disease• 25% chance that their child will have the disease
  • 6. What actually happens?• Harmful quantities of a fatty substance called ganglioside GM2 build up in tissues and nerve cells in the brain• Insufficient activity of an enzyme called beta- hexosaminidase A that catalyzes the biodegradation of the gangliosides
  • 7. Affected Body Parts• Red spot behind eye, forms – Blindness follows• Hearing loss• Complete loss of physical movement – Seizures
  • 8. Diagnosis• Complete physical evaluation• A detailed history of symptoms and family hereditary disorders• Eye examination – Looking for red spot on eye• Blood test – A blood test can measure hexosaminidase A (hex A) activity – Parents can get blood tests to see if they carry the Tay Sachs gene
  • 9. Prognosis• You’re screwed• Death usually occurs by the time the child is 5 years old• In cases where kids get Tay Sachs later on in childhood (rare) they usually die once the reach their teen years
  • 10. History of Disease• Named after Warren Tay and Bernard Sachs• Warren Tay – First described red spot on retina in 1881• Bernard Sachs – Did further research and described the changes in cells during Tay Sachs – also noted an increased prevalence of Tay Sachs disease in the eastern and central European Jewish population
  • 11. Bibliography• http://nervous-system.emedtv.com/tay-sachs- disease/history-of-tay-sachs-disease.html• http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/taysachs/taysachs.htm• http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/tay-sachs-disease• http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/genetic/tay_sachs.htm

×