1. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPYWARE AND MALWARE2. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VIRUS AND SPYWARE3. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WORM AND VIRUS4. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADWARE AND SPYWARE5. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VIRUS, WORMS, LOGIC BOMBS AND TROJAN HORSES6. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEGITIMATE WEBSITE AND PHISHING SCAM7. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCAM, PHISHING AND RIP OFF8. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PHISHING, HACKING AND CRACKING9. 4 TYPES OF VIRUSES COMPILED BY A.UMAR ALI
1. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPYWARE AND MALWARE GO TO INDEX 1. Malware covers a lot of different software; Spyware is just one of them. 2. Spyware often doesn’t cause major damage but other malware can. 3. While other malware can impair the function of your computer, spyware can extract personal information like credit card numbers. 4. Spyware takes up processing power and a part of the bandwidth of your internet connection.REFERENCEhttp://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-spyware-and-malware/ 2. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VIRUS AND SPYWARE GO TO INDEX 1. Viruses started rather innocently a long time ago but eventually evolved into a harmful digital entity while spyware is more recent and created purely for malicious reasons. 2. Viruses ultimately destroy computer systems (software and hardware). Spyware is not gravely destructive in terms of computer damage but the unwanted applications it installs can be an annoyance. 3. A virus is a general term which has a distinctive characteristic of replicating and modifying files. It also comes in many types like worms and trojans. Spyware, on the other hand is specific. It can qualify as a virus since some can also replicate files. 4.Viruses aim to disrupt human to computer interactivity while spyware stealthily monitor computer activity.REFERENCE http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-virus-and-spyware/
3. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WORM AND VIRUS GO TO INDEX1. Virus needs hosts while worms do not.2. Worms can spread quicker than virus because it does not need human action to replicate.3. Worms often disguise themselves as DLLs or system files to avoid detection.4. For both, the payload carries code that does the real damage.REFERENCEhttp://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-worm-and-virus/4. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADWARE AND SPYWARE GO TO INDEXADWARE1. Adware are software applications that are designed to allow a number of pop up advertisements straight to the personal computers of potential customers and clients.2. These advertisements allow Internet browsers to download certain programs free of charge since these pop up advertisements contribute to the payment of the use of these programs.3. These are currently seen in trial programs which offer the potential customer the ability to evaluate and make his or her decision on whether to purchase the license or not.4. For as long as the customer does not purchase the program and is still within the trial period, the adware application will generate a variety of relevant advertisements to provide free usage of the said program without compromising the amount of profit generated by the company that developed the program.5. Once the customer purchases the program over the Internet, the adware software application is then disabled by the computer program and the user can now be able to utilize the computer program without the advertisements.
SPYWARE1. On the other hand, spyware software applications are programs that are embedded to certain websites in order to track the purchasing habits of existing customers.2. The name spyware comes from the fact that the users are not aware of these applications.3. While they are surfing through the website and make a purchase, the spyware gathers the purchase information and stores it in a database to allow the company to keep track of the types of the products and services that a particular client avails and the frequency of the purchases made.4. With the help of these applications, companies are then able to generate a number of Internet marketing strategies to directly market future products and services to these customers to further increase the amount of the profit that they generate.REFERENCEhttp://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-adware-and-spyware/
5. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VIRUS, WORMS, LOGIC BOMBS AND TROJAN HORSES GO TO INDEXVirus1. A program that replicates by attaching itself to other programs.2. The infected program must be executed for a virus to run.3. Most of the time a system file or a program that you use occasionally.Worm1. Program that copies itself throughout a network or the internet without a host program.2. Creates problems by overloading the network as it replicates.3. Damaging just by their presence.4. Overloads memory or hard drive space by replicating repeatedly.Logic Bomb1. Dormant code added to software and triggered at a predetermined time or by a predetermined event.Trojan horse1. Does not need a host program to work; rather, it substitutes itself for a legitimate program.2. Likely to introduce one or more Viruses into your system.3. Sometimes called downloaders.REFERENCEhttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/Define_and_explain_the_difference_between_virus_worms_logic_bombs_and_trogen_horses
6. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEGITIMATE WEBSITE AND PHISHING SCAM GO TO INDEX1. Phishing scams are typically propagated through emails.2. The crooks send out emails looking like official emails from banks or other financial institutions.3. They insist that you must click on a link and enter personal information or something dire will happen, but the link actually takes you to a fake website that looks like the real thing.4. There are lots of websites and blogs talking about phishing.5. Here is one that really nets it out: http://keynotesupport.blogspot.com/2009/09/urgent-how-to-avoid-phishing-scams-on.html6. Also, when surfing the web, you should install a free program like McAfees SiteAdvisor that will display warning symbols next to websites that may not be safe to visit. You can download free code from the McAfee website at: http://www.siteadvisor.com/7. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it definitely is! Dont fall for emails or websites that claim you have won a prize. And never click on a link in an email.REFERENCEhttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_tell_the_difference_between_a_legitimate_website_and_a_phishing_scam
7. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCAM, PHISHING AND RIP OFF GO TO INDEX A scam is a deliberate attempt to defraud you. Phishing is trying to obtain your data to steal your identity and/or credit. A rip off is where you are getting something, just not as good a quality, or for as good a price, as most people would feel appropriate.REFERENCEhttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_scam_and_phishing_and_a_rip_off8. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PHISHING, HACKING AND CRACKING GO TO INDEXPhishing is trying to get some ones username, password, credit card info, Social, or otherpersonal information by means of a fraudulent message, email, instant message.Hacking is referred to as getting into another system or computer and copying, modifying, orjust looking a data on that host PC.Cracking is actually changing code, or modifying a program to function beyond its limits, deleteregistration, or any other modification of that program.REFERENCEhttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_phishing_and_hackingcracking9. 4 TYPES OF VIRUSES GO TO INDEXThere are a lot more than 4 types but these are some of the most common.1. Worms: A virus that copies itself throughout your computer without you knowing and eats through stored data on your computer.2. Smart Bomb: A multiple type of a virus that waits until activated or a set date to run.3. Batch: Most common, simple "virus". Though not many real hackers consider it a virus but it is a common thing on the internet... It can be used for malicious intent and delete files. They come in the .bat extention.
4. Trojan: One of the most common viruses normally installs with another program you downloaded. It’s binded, with it. Makes your computer accessible to RATS (Remote admin Tools) that allows others to connect to your computer. Or allows you to become a part of a botnet.REFERENCEhttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/4_types_of_viruses