Group Discussion on: Open Data Issues & Evidence from Media Analysis
• If we could have it, what should be the preferred format for open data and why?
- Majority preferred Excel because it can be used for further research purposes
- Few preferred PDF because it cannot be tampered with
• What are the anticipated overlaps or differences between Open Data and FoI practice in
- FOI gives you the right to demand for a document that you need i.e. to say it has a legal
backing while open data has no legal backing
- People still ask for open data even though it is posted on the website or Internet
Group discussion on: Use of The Budget of Nigeria
• What would citizens like to see in the budget that will motivate them to engage more with
- Clear indication of ongoing, completed and suspended projects to enable citizens extract
information and explanation about projects that touch on their lives
• What can be done with the budget data in order to promote good governance?
- Software for monitoring and evaluation should be provided
- There should be a timely upload of budget information
Group discussions on: Users & Re-packagers of the Online Budget Data of Nigeria
• How can we source for more and better funding to act as a driving force for open data re-
packaging initiatives in Nigeria?
- Non-governmental stakeholders have to have a good relationship with the decision
makers in government (i.e. champions within government)
- There has to be a proof of concept to ask for more grant
Group discussions on: Potentials to Use the Online Budget Data
• How can we stimulate increased access to the online budget data by the citizens at the
grassroots, and not necessarily only by the professionals?
- Grassroots are more so grassroot advocacy vital – use ICT resource support for the
advocacy groups , NGOs/CBOs should open information centres at grassroots levels, use
of local language in bringing the grassroots on board
• How best can we use the online budget to monitor government and drive transparency and
- Build the capacity of the CBOs & other stakeholders to be able to interpret & speak
forcefully and honestly
- Expenditure should be posted online to enable citizens monitor transparencies, track the
budget expenditure and as a policy brief and a performance indicator. Mobile APPS can
be designed to help in this tracking (for users of mobile phones)