2 25 Punnett Squares

1,073 views

Published on

Published in: Health & Medicine, Lifestyle
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,073
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
329
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
8
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

2 25 Punnett Squares

  1. 1. <ul><li>Complete the vocab sheet, focusing on your IMOW’s and examples </li></ul><ul><li>*Reminder* </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Lab Report Final Drafts are due TOMORROW </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Homework Packets are due TOMORROW </li></ul></ul>
  2. 2. <ul><li>How well do you think we did on the benchmark? </li></ul>
  3. 9. <ul><li>A chart that allows us to determine the different genotypes that offspring can inherit from their parents </li></ul>
  4. 10. <ul><li>Phenotype = the physical trait </li></ul><ul><ul><li>What can be seen (brown hair) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Depends on genotype </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Genotype = the alleles of a genetic code </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Genetic code (one maternal, one paternal) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Homozygous = alleles are the same (BB or bb) </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Heterozygous = alleles are different (Bb) </li></ul></ul></ul>
  5. 11. <ul><li>Recessive phenotype </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Genotype MUST be homozygous recessive </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Genotype bb expresses phenotype blond hair </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Dominant phenotype </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Genotype may be homozygous dominant </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>BB expresses brown hair </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Genotype may be heterozygous </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Bb also expresses brown hair </li></ul></ul></ul>
  6. 12. <ul><li>Alleles separate during meiosis </li></ul><ul><li>Alleles move to one allele per gamete to make a haploid sex cell </li></ul><ul><li>Alleles pair up randomly when gametes unite during fertilization </li></ul>
  7. 13. <ul><ul><li>P: Parent generation </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>F1: Offspring from mating two members of the P generation </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>F2: Offspring from mating two members of the F1 generation </li></ul></ul>
  8. 14. <ul><li>Probability is the chance that an event will occur </li></ul><ul><li>How do you find the probability of an event? </li></ul><ul><li>You take the number of times something happens and put it over the total number of times its possible </li></ul><ul><li>Flipping a coin…. </li></ul>
  9. 15. B b b B Parent 1 : homozygous dominant = BB Parent 2 : homozygous recessive = bb B b B b B b B b
  10. 16. B b B b Parent 1 : heterozygous (Bb) Parent 2 : heterozygous (Bb) b b B b B B b B
  11. 17. B b B b Genotypic ratio of offspring 1BB : 2Bb : 1bb Phenotypic ratio of offspring 3 brown hair : 1 blond hair (75% chance) (25% chance) bb Blond hair Bb Brown hair BB Brown hair Bb Brown hair

×