has to be done…
C C - B Y- S A : H T T P : / / W W W. F L I C K R . C O M / P H O T O S / G A R R Y K N I G H T / 7 0 0 3 1 7 8 8 5 7 / S I Z E S / L /
”Only 20 percent of the readership of the English-language
Wikipedia comes via mobile devices, a figure substantially
lower than the percentage of mobile traffic for other media
sites, many of which approach 50 percent.”
H T T P : / / W W W. N Y T I M E S . C O M / 2 0 1 4 / 0 2 / 1 0 / T E C H N O L O G Y / W I K I P E D I A - V S - T H E - S M A L L - S C R E E N . H T M L
People read more and more text on their mobile
On mobile, people want to check facts quickly.
Most of the (good) articles in Wikipedia are long.
like conventional Wikipedia, but there is a character limit
in the articles.
• Mobile user wants to do a quick check on a subject.
• Even in a well-written article the introduction in the
beginning does not usually cover the key facts in the
• An analogy: abstracts in scientific articles.
• Easy to create high quality texts: the character limit is
HOW TO IMPLEMENT?
• As new service / startup / nonprofit?
• Mediawiki software (which Wikipedia runs on) is free and open
software - it is easy to set up a new wiki with a character limit.
• As Wikimedia Foundation new project?
• As a separate ”language” in Wikipedia (like English vs. Simple
English currently are)?
• As a new feature in Mediawiki and Wikipedia?
• On mobile browser, the 1000 character abstract is shown (with
an option to tap to the full article.
And: I don’t have time for this currently, please
steal the idea if you think it’s good.
– VESA LINJA-AHO