Scikit-Learn - Or why I joined an open source software project
(or why I joined an open source software project)
Dept. of EE & CS, & GIGA-R
Universit´ de Li`ge, Belgium
October 30, 2013
Publishing scientiﬁc software matters 1
Software is a central part of modern scientiﬁc discovery.
Software developed in one ﬁeld can often be applied to
advance a diﬀerent ﬁeld if the underlying mathematics is
The public availability of code is a corner stone of the
1. Pradal C. et al, Publishing scientiﬁc software matters, 2013.
if it’s not open and veriﬁable by others, it’s not science, or
engineering, or whatever it is you call what we do 2
2. V. Stodden, The scientiﬁc method in practice.
As a young PhD student full of illusions...
I wanted to write useful scientiﬁc software, for me and others
Leverage existing software
... but I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel !
... and then I joined an OSS project
An open source Machine Learning library in Python
Classical and well-established algorithms
- Supervised and unsupervised algorithms
- Model evaluation and selection
- Data processing and feature engineering