ASEAN QUIZ (MALAYSIA)
DATE: 11 MARCH 2014
10.00 AM – 11.00 AM
DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO
1. This question paper consists of three (3) sections:
a. Objective : 40 questions
b. True/False : 10 questions
c. Slogan : 1 question
2. Answer all sections.
3. You are advised to spend about 40 minutes on Section A, 10 minutes on section B and 10
minutes on section C.
4. Write your answer in the answer sheet provided in your computer only.
THIS QUESTION PAPER CONSISTS OF ELEVEN (11) PRINTED PAGES.
(INCLUDING COVER PAGE)
SECTION A: 40 OBJECTIVE QUESTIONS
1. The motto of ASEAN is _________________________.
A. One ASEAN, One Identity, One Unity
B. One Vision, One Identity, One Community
C. One Identity, One Vision, One Community
D. One Community, One Vision, One Identity
2. Which country will be the ASEAN Chair in 2015?
3. The population of ASEAN is about ________ million.
4. Which of the following is NOT a founding member of ASEAN?
A. Brunei Darussalam
5. The ten paddy stalks in the ASEAN Emblem represents __________________________.
A. Unity of ASEAN
B. Main colors of the state crests of all the ASEAN Member States
C. Member states of ASEAN
D. Diversity in ASEAN
6. What is the name of the document that was adopted during the Sixth ASEAN Summit to
implement ASEAN Vision 2020?
A. The Bali Concord II
B. The Vientiane Action Programme
C. The Ha Noi Plan of Action
D. The ASEAN Community Blueprint
7. Which color symbolizes prosperity in the ASEAN Emblem?
8. When was the ASEAN Emblem adopted?
9. Name the title of the ASEAN anthem.
A. Peace, Harmony, Prosperity
B. My ASEAN
C. The ASEAN Way
D. The ASEAN Dream
10. The capital of Lao PDR is ____________.
A. Phnom Penh
D. Ha Noi
11. Who is the current President of the Union of Myanmar?
A. Than Shwe
B. U Thein Sein
C. U Shwe Mann
D. Aung San Suu Kyi
12. The most populated city in Southeast Asia is _____.
C. Kuala Lumpur
13. The largest producer of petroleum in Southeast Asia is _____.
A. Brunei Darussalam
B. Viet Nam
14. Which Southeast Asian country hosted the 2013 Southeast Asian Games (SEA Games)?
C. Viet Nam
15. Cambodia gained independence in _______.
16. What does ATIGA stand for?
A. ASEAN Treaty in Goods Agreement
B. ASEAN Trade Investment Guarantee Agreement
C. ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement
D. ASEAN Trade International Goods Arrangement
17. What does abbreviation AEC stand for?
A. ASEAN Economic Community
B. ASEAN External Community
C. ASEAN Economic Council
D. ASEAN Economic Commission
18. Which are the countries represented in the ASEAN + 3 Framework?
A. ASEAN, China, South Korea, India
B. ASEAN, China, South Korea, Japan
C. ASEAN, China, Australia, Canada
D. ASEAN, US, Australia, New Zealand
19. When was the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint adopted?
20. Vietnam practices ___________ political system.
A. Parliamentary Democracy
21. ZOPFAN is the acronym for ____________.
A. Zone of Peace, Fauna And Nature
B. Zone of Peace, Freedom and Neutrality
C. Zone of Power, Force and Nature
D. Zone of Peace, Freedom and Natural
22. All the following words mean 'Thank You' in the different languages of ASEAN
A. Maraming Salamat
B. Saum Arkoun Anak
C. Cam On
23. ASEAN plans to bid for the hosting of FIFA World Cup in the year _____.
24. The Dutch captured the port city of Melaka from the Portuguese in ________.
25. The privatization policy in Malaysia took off during the premiership of ___________.
A. Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj
B. Tun Abdul Razak Hussein
C. Tun Hussein Onn
D. Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohammad
26. Which of the following is the second largest foreign exchange earner in Malaysia?
B. Palm oil
27. When did the Union of Myanmar join ASEAN?
28. The ASEAN Secretariat was established in ____________.
A. February 1976
B. March 1976
C. September 1976
D. January 1976
29. The First Secretary General of ASEAN was __________.
A. Rusli Noor
B. Ajit Singh
C. Ong Keng Yong
D. Hartono Dharsono
30. What is the target year for realizing a drug-free ASEAN?
31. Pyithu Hluttaw refers to the Parliament of ____________.
A. Lao PDR
D. The Philippines
32. Which of the two ASEAN centres established to provide better services to ASEAN
public and government agencies in the fields of meteorology and seismology?
A. ASEAN Meteorology Center (AMC) and Disaster Management Center (DMC)
B. ASEAN Specialized Meteorology Center (ASMC) and ASEAN Earthquake
Information Center (AEIC)
C. ASEAN Weather Center (AWC) and ASEAN Disaster Information Center (AIC)
D. ASEAN Meteorology Monitoring Center (AMMC) and ASEAN information Center
on Earthquake (AICE)
33. The following were Western colonial powers in Southeast Asia EXCEPT ______.
A. Great Britain
34. The Indonesian archipelago comprises of around ______ islands.
35. Which country is the largest producer of rubber in Southeast Asia?
D. Viet Nam
36. In 2013, which Southeast Asian country attracted the highest amount of foreign direct
B. Viet Nam
37. Which of the following is the longest bridge?
A. Candaba Viaduct (the Philippines)
B. Mawlamyaing Bridge (Myanmar)
C. Rama VIII Bridge (Thailand)
D. Penang Bridge (Malaysia)
38. The ASEAN Working Group on Pandemic Preparedness and Response (AWGPPR) was
previously known as ____________________.
A. The ASEAN Working Group on Pandemic Influenza and Regulations
B. The ASEAN Task Force on Pandemic Preparedness and Response
C. The ASEAN Technical Working Group on Pandemic Preparedness and Response
D. The ASEAN Working Group on Pandemic Preparedness and Regulations
39. The main objective of the Southeast Asian Nuclear Weapon Free Zone (SEANWFZ)
Treaty is to __________.
A. discourage the construction of nuclear weapon plants in Southeast Asia
B. ban the use, development and deployment of nuclear weapon by ASEAN member
C. ban the passage of nuclear-powered warships and submarines through Southeast
D. fulfill the obligations of ASEAN member states under United Nations Security
Council Resolution 1540
40. Which country hosted the 5th Committee on Science and Technology (COST) Plus Three
Meeting that endorsed the ASEAN Youth Forum on Innovation and Creativity (AYFIC)?
C. Viet Nam
SECTION B: 10 TRUE/FALSE QUESTIONS
41. In terms of size, Brunei Darussalam is the smallest country in Southeast Asia.
42. The Philippines comprises of 10,000 islands.
43. The new national capital of Myanmar is Nay Pyi Taw.
44. Kuala Lumpur is the business hub of Malaysia while Putrajaya serves as the national
45. The longest tunnel in Southeast Asia is in The Philippines.
46. The Istiqlal Mosque in Jakarta is the largest mosque in Southeast Asia.
47. Viet Nam is the Southeast Asian country with the largest number of motorbikes.
48. The Thai island of Krabi was inhabited some 45,000 to 55,000 years ago.
49. Vientiane has been the capital of Lao PDR since the 14th century.
50. Rafflesia Arnoldii is the largest flower found in Southeast Asia.
SECTION C: SLOGAN
51. Propose a slogan for ASEAN COMMUNITY 2015 and explain it in less than 30 words.
END OF QUESTION PAPER