SlideShare a Scribd company logo
1 of 15
History of
Emmer Green
By Asma Mohammad
4NAM
Contents
 About     Emmer green & its location
 History
 Housing in Emmer green
 The Emmer Green Book
 Education
 St Barnabas Church
 Chalk Mine
Emmer Green
Emmer Green is a suburb of Reading in the English
county of Berkshire. It is situated immediately north of
Caversham on the border with Oxfordshire, the county
in which both places formerly stood.

Emmer Green is bordered by the extensive nature
reserve at Clayfield Copse and Blackhouse Woods
and also by the tip of the South Downs at Bugs Bottom
(also known as Hemdean Bottom). There is a cycle
path to Wallingford and access to Balmore Park which
overlooks Caversham, with views as far as the Madjeski
Stadium wind turbine.
Map of Emmer Green
History
Emmer Green has five former mansions. Two are now
converted for residential use.
 Rosehill House & Notley Place - Standing in 14 acres of
  ground, was once part of Caversham Manor, the first
  building being erected in 1791. The house has since
  been converted into flats and a housing estate built on
  the grounds.
 Caversham Park - is owned by the BBC
 Grove House - has become Highdown School
 Caversham Place - was designed by the architect
  Clough Williams-Ellis for Major-General Sir Cecil Pereira
Housing in Emmer Green
At one time the whole of Emmer Green was rural. Post World
War II housing became a priority and building continued
apace. It was in latter years that over-development was
deemed undesirable. Emmer Green Residents’ Association
was set up in May 1984, primarily to try to monitor planning in
the area by supporting Reading Borough Council in their fight
to preserve a valued stretch of open countryside.

 The Hemdean Valley (Bugs Bottom) was the area that
sparked things off. Subsequent interests have included the
redevelopments of the Bison Flats in Scott Close, Gorselands
(former allotments), Wordsworth Court (built on the site of the
former Reading Athletics Club). Lately the focus has been on
garden grabbers and small scale infill development. Housing is
always going to be a fine balance between providing roofs
over people's heads and preserving the status quo.
The Emmer Green Book
In the year 2000 Emmer Green Residents' Association
organised and hosted an exhibition on the history of
Emmer Green, as part of the Millennium celebrations.
The exhibition was hailed a triumph and many visitors
asked for a book. There are 120 pages (including 8 in full
colour in the first edition) in the book, plus a detailed
index.
Education – Primary School
There are two primary schools

 Emmer    Green Primary School
 The Hill Primary which is situated between
  Emmer Green and Caversham

There is one Secondary school

 Highdown   School and Sixth Form Centre
Emmer Green Primary School
The first proper school in Emmer Green was
built from brick and flint on the corner of
Grove Road and School Lane in October
1877. Its name changed over the years, but
the two-room school was finally closed in
1933 due to lack of support. Children from
Emmer Green then had to attend schools in
Caversham.



                         In the 1950s, the current Emmer Green
                         Primary School was built in Grove Road. The
                         building was extended in the 1980s, and had
                         temporary classrooms added in the 1990s to
                         cope with demand for places.
Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre
Highdown School was established as a comprehensive school in
September 1971. On 1st November 2010, Highdown School became
an independently run academy after being judged outstanding by
Ofsted. Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre is an academy in
Emmer Green on the outskirts of Reading, Berkshire, England. It has a
capacity for approximately 1450 students aged 11–18.Highdown
School has three Grade II listed buildings within its grounds. The main
building was altered and extended by Richard Norman Shaw from
1878-80.
St. Barnabas Church
Always a prominent local landmark, the first St.
Barnabas Church building was constructed in the
latter part of the 19th Century in the form of a
corrugated iron mission church. This is still used as
the present church hall and has just been
refurbished.
                       A replacement church was started in
                       the 1920s and was consecrated on
                       29th June 1929. The congregation and
                       the community continue to hold the
                       present church building in considerable
                       affection and by its location St.
                       Barnabas still possesses something of
                       the character of the “village church”
                       about it.
Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine
The Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine is an extensive
abandoned subterranean chalk mine at Emmer Green, north
of Reading in Berkshire, located just north of the junction of
Peppard Road & Kiln Lane. The mine is so named because the
land is now owned by the Hanover Housing Association who
have a development adjacent at Wordsworth Court.

The mine is one of a number of known mines in the Emmer
Green and Reading area where chalk mining was once an
important industry. It is likely other abandoned mines remain
undiscovered. The area was once known as Rose Hill and
contained brickfield and chalk mining works.
The mine was discovered in 1977 during building works.
Access is through a 50ft fixed steel ladder in a narrow vertical
shaft below a locked iron cover.
Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine




There is a marked difference in the     The highest section of the mine, here
floor level in some parts of the mine   the height is over 20 feet
References

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmer_Green
    http://www.egra.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-
     sites/sites/h/hanover_chalk_mine/index.shtml
    http://www.saintbarnabas.org.uk/
    http://www.emmergreenprimary.com/
    http://www.highdown.reading.sch.uk
Thanks for listening

More Related Content

Similar to History of emmer green

Revised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherbornRevised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherborn
lryan61
 
Farming and mills in old sherborn revised
Farming and mills in old sherborn revisedFarming and mills in old sherborn revised
Farming and mills in old sherborn revised
lryan61
 
Revised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherbornRevised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherborn
lryan61
 

Similar to History of emmer green (20)

A river walk
A river walkA river walk
A river walk
 
Glamis powerpoint
Glamis powerpointGlamis powerpoint
Glamis powerpoint
 
Industrial Archaeology of Bere Ferrers and Bere Alston
Industrial Archaeology of Bere Ferrers and Bere AlstonIndustrial Archaeology of Bere Ferrers and Bere Alston
Industrial Archaeology of Bere Ferrers and Bere Alston
 
History of Mills in Hammonds Plains
History of Mills in Hammonds PlainsHistory of Mills in Hammonds Plains
History of Mills in Hammonds Plains
 
Revised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherbornRevised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherborn
 
Bradfordonavonconnected.co.uk The Bradford on Avon Walk 2019
Bradfordonavonconnected.co.uk The Bradford on Avon Walk 2019Bradfordonavonconnected.co.uk The Bradford on Avon Walk 2019
Bradfordonavonconnected.co.uk The Bradford on Avon Walk 2019
 
Our locality
Our locality Our locality
Our locality
 
Dauphin's 115th Birthday
Dauphin's 115th BirthdayDauphin's 115th Birthday
Dauphin's 115th Birthday
 
Local history overview
Local history overviewLocal history overview
Local history overview
 
St Bartholomew's
St Bartholomew'sSt Bartholomew's
St Bartholomew's
 
London’s 8 royal parks
London’s 8 royal parksLondon’s 8 royal parks
London’s 8 royal parks
 
History of Hammonds Plains
History of Hammonds PlainsHistory of Hammonds Plains
History of Hammonds Plains
 
The History Of Haddam
The History Of HaddamThe History Of Haddam
The History Of Haddam
 
Eco BS: A History in Pictures
Eco BS: A History in PicturesEco BS: A History in Pictures
Eco BS: A History in Pictures
 
Farming and mills in old sherborn revised
Farming and mills in old sherborn revisedFarming and mills in old sherborn revised
Farming and mills in old sherborn revised
 
Revised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherbornRevised 18th century sherborn
Revised 18th century sherborn
 
Hammonds Plains and Its Past Connections to Lumber Mills-A History
Hammonds Plains and Its Past Connections to Lumber Mills-A HistoryHammonds Plains and Its Past Connections to Lumber Mills-A History
Hammonds Plains and Its Past Connections to Lumber Mills-A History
 
What is in a Name.
What is in a Name.What is in a Name.
What is in a Name.
 
Strathalyn Hall & Mews - Camran Mirza.pdf
Strathalyn Hall & Mews - Camran Mirza.pdfStrathalyn Hall & Mews - Camran Mirza.pdf
Strathalyn Hall & Mews - Camran Mirza.pdf
 
Brochure 2016 for email
Brochure 2016 for emailBrochure 2016 for email
Brochure 2016 for email
 

History of emmer green

  • 1. History of Emmer Green By Asma Mohammad 4NAM
  • 2. Contents  About Emmer green & its location  History  Housing in Emmer green  The Emmer Green Book  Education  St Barnabas Church  Chalk Mine
  • 3. Emmer Green Emmer Green is a suburb of Reading in the English county of Berkshire. It is situated immediately north of Caversham on the border with Oxfordshire, the county in which both places formerly stood. Emmer Green is bordered by the extensive nature reserve at Clayfield Copse and Blackhouse Woods and also by the tip of the South Downs at Bugs Bottom (also known as Hemdean Bottom). There is a cycle path to Wallingford and access to Balmore Park which overlooks Caversham, with views as far as the Madjeski Stadium wind turbine.
  • 4. Map of Emmer Green
  • 5. History Emmer Green has five former mansions. Two are now converted for residential use.  Rosehill House & Notley Place - Standing in 14 acres of ground, was once part of Caversham Manor, the first building being erected in 1791. The house has since been converted into flats and a housing estate built on the grounds.  Caversham Park - is owned by the BBC  Grove House - has become Highdown School  Caversham Place - was designed by the architect Clough Williams-Ellis for Major-General Sir Cecil Pereira
  • 6. Housing in Emmer Green At one time the whole of Emmer Green was rural. Post World War II housing became a priority and building continued apace. It was in latter years that over-development was deemed undesirable. Emmer Green Residents’ Association was set up in May 1984, primarily to try to monitor planning in the area by supporting Reading Borough Council in their fight to preserve a valued stretch of open countryside. The Hemdean Valley (Bugs Bottom) was the area that sparked things off. Subsequent interests have included the redevelopments of the Bison Flats in Scott Close, Gorselands (former allotments), Wordsworth Court (built on the site of the former Reading Athletics Club). Lately the focus has been on garden grabbers and small scale infill development. Housing is always going to be a fine balance between providing roofs over people's heads and preserving the status quo.
  • 7. The Emmer Green Book In the year 2000 Emmer Green Residents' Association organised and hosted an exhibition on the history of Emmer Green, as part of the Millennium celebrations. The exhibition was hailed a triumph and many visitors asked for a book. There are 120 pages (including 8 in full colour in the first edition) in the book, plus a detailed index.
  • 8. Education – Primary School There are two primary schools  Emmer Green Primary School  The Hill Primary which is situated between Emmer Green and Caversham There is one Secondary school  Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre
  • 9. Emmer Green Primary School The first proper school in Emmer Green was built from brick and flint on the corner of Grove Road and School Lane in October 1877. Its name changed over the years, but the two-room school was finally closed in 1933 due to lack of support. Children from Emmer Green then had to attend schools in Caversham. In the 1950s, the current Emmer Green Primary School was built in Grove Road. The building was extended in the 1980s, and had temporary classrooms added in the 1990s to cope with demand for places.
  • 10. Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre Highdown School was established as a comprehensive school in September 1971. On 1st November 2010, Highdown School became an independently run academy after being judged outstanding by Ofsted. Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre is an academy in Emmer Green on the outskirts of Reading, Berkshire, England. It has a capacity for approximately 1450 students aged 11–18.Highdown School has three Grade II listed buildings within its grounds. The main building was altered and extended by Richard Norman Shaw from 1878-80.
  • 11. St. Barnabas Church Always a prominent local landmark, the first St. Barnabas Church building was constructed in the latter part of the 19th Century in the form of a corrugated iron mission church. This is still used as the present church hall and has just been refurbished. A replacement church was started in the 1920s and was consecrated on 29th June 1929. The congregation and the community continue to hold the present church building in considerable affection and by its location St. Barnabas still possesses something of the character of the “village church” about it.
  • 12. Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine The Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine is an extensive abandoned subterranean chalk mine at Emmer Green, north of Reading in Berkshire, located just north of the junction of Peppard Road & Kiln Lane. The mine is so named because the land is now owned by the Hanover Housing Association who have a development adjacent at Wordsworth Court. The mine is one of a number of known mines in the Emmer Green and Reading area where chalk mining was once an important industry. It is likely other abandoned mines remain undiscovered. The area was once known as Rose Hill and contained brickfield and chalk mining works. The mine was discovered in 1977 during building works. Access is through a 50ft fixed steel ladder in a narrow vertical shaft below a locked iron cover.
  • 13. Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine There is a marked difference in the The highest section of the mine, here floor level in some parts of the mine the height is over 20 feet
  • 14. References  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmer_Green  http://www.egra.co.uk/index.html  http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb- sites/sites/h/hanover_chalk_mine/index.shtml  http://www.saintbarnabas.org.uk/  http://www.emmergreenprimary.com/  http://www.highdown.reading.sch.uk