GODLINESS The Christian Character April 04, 2010 Bgy, Balintawak, Lipa City
CONTENTMENT AND THANKFULNESS
There are Godlike qualities that reflect the character of God like holiness, love and faithfulness. Other virtues are godly traits because they acknowledge and exalt the character of God . They are God-centered qualities that enhance our devotion to God. Such virtues are humility, contentment and thankfulness.
In humility, we acknowledge God’s majesty, in contentment His grace, and in thankfulness His goodness.
And contentment and thanksgiving strengthen each other.
1Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
Datapuwa't ang kabanalan na may kasiyahan ay malaking kapakinabangan:
Areas of Contentment A. Contentment with possessions B. Contentment with position C. Contentment in God’s Providence II. Being Content A. Learn & accept we live by God’s unmerited favor given through Christ B. Respond to any & every situation by His enablement through the Holy Spirit
Contentment with possessions
- Focus should be on the true values of life
(Mk 8:34-38– eternal life, Ps 19, Pro 3:13-15 – Word of God)
- Service to God through service to mankind is the only motivation acceptable to God for diligence and hard work in our vocational calling
- All that we have comes from God as a result of His grace (1 Chronicles 29:12)
- God in His sovereign good has seen fit to give some people more wealth and possessions than others
- For those whom God has blessed with wealth or an abundance of possessions, with privilege comes responsibility (Lk 12:48)
B. Contentment in position
- We have different gifts , according to grace given to us. (Ro 12:6)
- God has the right to put each of us as He pleases. He has the right and He exercises it. (1Co 12)
C. Contentment in God’s Providence
- Our circumstances are under the providence of God (God’s care of and control over all the universe) – Ex. Ps 33:10-11; Isaiah 55:5-9
God’s Grace is Sufficient
We can be content because God’s grace is sufficient
- Php 4:10-13 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances . I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
- Php 4:10-13 Datapuwa't ako'y totoong nagagalak sa Panginoon, na ngayon sa kahulihulihan ay inyong binuhay ang inyong pagmamalasakit sa akin; na dito'y katotohanang nangagkaroon kayo ng malasakit, nguni't kayo'y nagkulang ng mabuting pagkakataon. Hindi sa sinasabi ko ang tungkol sa kailangan: sapagka't aking natutuhan ang masiyahan sa anomang kalagayang aking kinaroroonan. Marunong akong magpakababa, at marunong naman akong magpakasagana: sa bawa't bagay at sa lahat ng bagay ay natutuhan ko ang lihim maging sa kabusugan, at maging sa kagutuman, at maging sa kasaganaan at maging sa kasalatan. Lahat ng mga bagay ay aking magagawa doon sa nagpapalakas sa akin.
- 2 Co 12: I-10 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord.
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.
And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows—
was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell.
I will boast about someone like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses.
Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say,
or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
- 2 Co 12: I-10 Kinakailangang ako'y magmapuri, bagaman ito'y hindi nararapat; nguni't aking sasaysayin ang mga pangitain ko at mga pahayag ng Panginoon. Nakikilala ko ang isang lalake kay Cristo, na mayroong nang labingapat na taon (maging sa katawan, aywan ko; o maging sa labas ng katawan, aywan ko; Dios ang nakaaalam) na inagaw hanggang sa ikatlong langit. At nakikilala ko ang taong iyan (maging sa katawan, o sa labas ng katawan, aywan ko; Dios ang nakaaalam), Na kung paanong siya'y inagaw sa Paraiso, at nakarinig ng mga salitang di masayod na hindi nararapat salitain ng tao. Tungkol sa taong yaon ako'y magmamapuri: nguni't tungkol sa aking sarili ay hindi ako magmamapuri, maliban na sa aking mga kahinaan. Sapagka't kung ibigin kong ako'y magmapuri, ay hindi ako magiging mangmang; sapagka't sasalitain ko ang katotohanan: nguni't nagpipigil ako, baka ang sinoman ay magakalang ako'y mataas sa nakikita niya sa akin, o naririnig sa akin. At nang ako'y huwag magpalalo ng labis dahil sa kadakilaan ng mga pahayag, ay binigyan ako ng isang tinik sa laman, ng isang sugo ni Satanas, upang ako'y tampalin, nang ako'y huwag magpalalo ng labis. Tungkol dito'y makaitlo akong nanalangin sa Panginoon, upang ilayo ito sa akin. At siya'y nagsabi sa akin, Ang aking biyaya ay sapat na sa iyo: sapagka't ang aking kapangyarihan ay nagiging sakdal sa kahinaan . Kaya't bagkus akong magmamapuri na may malaking galak sa aking kahinaan upang manahan nawa sa akin ang kapangyarihan ni Cristo. Kaya nga ako'y nagagalak sa mga kahinaan, sa mga pagkaapi, sa mga pangangailangan, sa mga pagkakausig, sa mga paghihinagpis, dahil kay Cristo: sapagka't pagka ako'y mahina, ako nga'y malakas.
Accept that God’s grace is in fact sufficient
- Understanding and appreciation that we must learn to live by the realization that whatever our situation might be, it is far better than we deserve
- Understanding and appreciation that we must learn that however difficult and frustrating our circumstances might be, God’s divine assistance through the Holy Spirit is available to help us to respond in a godly manner and to be content.
Psalm 100:4-5 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Awit 100:4-5 Magsipasok kayo sa kaniyang mga pintuang-daan na may pagpapasalamat, at sa kaniyang looban na may pagpupuri: mangagpasalamat kayo sa kaniya, at purihin ninyo ang kaniyang pangalan. Sapagka't ang Panginoon ay mabuti; ang kaniyang kagandahang-loob ay magpakailan man; at ang kaniyang pagtatapat ay sa lahat ng sali't saling lahi.
To Thank God is to acknowledge the bountifulness of His Hand in providing and caring for us. (Luke 17:11-19) It is the overflow of being rooted and built up in Christ.(Col 2:6-7) PURPOSES OF THANKSGIVING:
The primary purpose is to acknowledge His goodness and honor Him – Ps 50:23, Ps 106:1-2
It promotes not only the glory of God, but also humility in us; and stimulates our faith – Ex. David’s prayer of thanksgiving for the gifts for the temple; Paul’s constant thanks to God for the spiritual progress of the churches under his care.
It promotes contentment
- focus our thoughts on the blessings God has already given, forcing us to stop spending our time yearning for things we do not have. (Ro 7:24-25)
Cultivate a thankful heart
Live a life in fellowship with God
Expand our mealtime expression of thanks to include other blessings
Write down your prayer requests to God, then keep those answered requests on your list until you have adequately thanked God for His answer. Set aside a period of time to thank God for this blessings.
Thanksgiving should be included as a regular part of our intercessory prayer time
Memorize key verses on thanksgiving (Ex. Col 1:3, 2:6-7, 4:2, 1Th 5:16-18)
Php 4:4-9 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything , but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God . And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.