Transcript of "Building Your PLN - Modeling Activity for the Power of Connections"
2014 Siemens STEM Institute
August 3-8th, 2014
Silver Spring, MD
Building Your PLN: A modeling exercise for in-person
professional development workshops
• This activity was performed with 50 middle and high school
educators. Prior to this activity, educators were introduced to the
critical “C’s” of 21st century learning including connecting,
collaborating, creating, critical thinking, curating, and community.
The activity’s purpose was to model the importance of building
relationships and demonstrate the exponential impact of
connecting with just a few people.
• Participants were encouraged to put all computer devices away and
to focus on this activity. Follow-up professional development was
provided after the activity to answer logistical and technical
questions on using Twitter in the classroom.
• 1 copy per person of the Twitter Profile
• 1 spool of yarn (your color preference)
• Pens, markers, crayons
• Write down 5 areas of expertise that you bring
to the “watering hole”
• Pass out the Twitter Profile handout
• Have participants consider their list of ideas,
synthesize, and fill in each section of the handout
to effectively share who they are (approx 10-15
– Tips: include grade level, subject area, and other
pertinent information in bio section so that folks can
identify with you
• Have participants tape their completed Twitter
Profile handout in a designated location
• Once all profiles are hung, ask each participant to
make a connection to 3 other people in the room
that they want to learn from. Do this by taping
one piece of yarn from their profile to their
• Discuss participants ideas, thoughts, and
reactions to this process.
• Provide follow-up professional development
on the how-to and technical aspects of
utilizing Twitter for education, setting up an
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.