Hossam - Analysing the walking dead opening sequence
• Mise en scene
• Editing including sound
• What elements make this opening engaging for an
• The opening introduces the main characters
• For example, the first photo of a person we see is the
main characters in the news paper with the word “Shot”.
• This creates an enigma code and make it more
interesting for the audience.
• Then we see a pan shot of an abandoned pharmacy,
which states to the audience that the main character is
injured in some way.
• All the shots are either Pans or zooms out.
• Plus, all the shots last for a maximum of a two second
period and they are all urban. This tells us that the setting
is in the city.
• This is to shock the viewer because if the image was left
on for long enough, the viewer would get used to it.
• This is flowed by two other main characters. One’s picture with broken
glass frame and the other’s is under the rubble.
• After the shot of the main character, we then a series of abandoned
places, which were a house and a caravan, which are also enigma
codes and then an abandoned child’s teddy bear.
• The abandoned toy could say to the audience that the owner of the
teddy bear was either pulled away in a rush or something could have
happened to them.
• This is because children don’t usually leave their toys anywhere.
• This is then answered by an image of crows eating
flesh off the teddy later.
• The type of music they use is called staccato.
• Staccato music means it uses short notes and short
notes are usually associated with thrillers.
• There are also a very high pitched base.
• The enigma codes made by showing the audience
abandoned places makes them ask themselves
questions such as “what happened?”.
• There is also an enigma code when the audience see the
pictures of the main characters.
• This makes them wonder if the characters will live or die.
• We know it is set in the city because the images of
abandoned places are found in the city
• For example the abandoned roads.
• Since it is called “The Walking Dead”, this says that the
theme is about zombies.
• The main character is wearing a police uniform which
tells us that he is a police officer.
• Plus, the teddy bear story is covered in one of the
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.