Using the Encyclopedia of Life
Making and Sharing Observations
with EOL and iNaturalist
1. Click on items or taxa to see all species in the collection
2. Click on an individual species to go to a page to learn more about them
3. Click on the iNaturalist tab to view a map and list of all observations that have been
4. To add an observation click on the add observations button.
5. You will add your observations through iNaturalist.org, so you will need to either
create an account or log in with a Flickr, Yahoo, Google, Facebook or Twitter account.
You can link your EOL account in your EOL profile (click edit profile).
6. Enter in information about what you saw, when you saw it and where you saw it.
7. If you took a picture of what you observed you can add it here.
8. Save your observation!
9. View your observation on iNaturalist.org, where it has been added to your project
and to a global map.
10. View your observation on EOL, where you see which species in your collection
have been observed and learn more about these species by click on the taxa tab.
You can also add observations by using the
iNaturalist iPhone App, available for free at the
If you have any problems or
questions, please email us at:
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.