1. SponsorMap Overview & Case StudiesCapturing Passion Outcomes from Your Sponsorship!
2. Measuring Sponsorship Effectiveness - The Basics The Measurement Sequence 1. 2. 3. Deﬁne the sponsorship Survey the target Report the ﬁndings. objectives to be audience. measured. To measure the effectiveness of a sponsorship, we need to measure outputs not inputs with the target audience. These may include some of the following: - High sponsor recall - Increased sponsor brand loyalty - Improved sales leads To measure sponsorship ROI we need to measure Attention (audience reach), Understanding (sponsor - Improved brand image ratings recall), Engagement (Passion Index) and Sponsor Appreciation (Gratitude Index). Each of these impact on - Improvements in goodwill towards the sponsor how well a sponsor’s objectives can be achieved and also identify areas where the sponsorship itself can be improved. This is obtained by surveying the target audience of a sponsorship or the fans. Brand shift is based on what the sponsorship itself has shifted in terms of target audience perceptions, attitudes and buyer behavior. Achievement of a sponsor’s objectives is what we measure with Other information that can be used in a SponsorMap evaluation are media SponsorMap, whether it is to generate additional sales and leads, improve brand positioning or the coverage (TV & print), social media (blogs, Facebook etc.) and sales reputation of the sponsor with a target audience. information that can be sourced separately. Inter-relationships The Research Methodology The selection of the survey sample is dependent on the target audience Sponsor for a sponsorship. Match the survey sample to the intended target audience. National Inter-relationships between a sponsor, We require a sample that we can project nationally so we can claim for property and customer/target audience are example, 35% of mobile phone subscribers can recall sponsor X. what are measured using the SponsorMap methodology. Regional Sample is taken from a regional level and projected to a regional level. Event Sample is taken from the event audience. With this sample we can claim for example that 48% of the 20,000 people that attended the event were delighted with the sponsors involvement and 65% (13,000) were Property Customer considering buying their next motor vehicle from the sponsor. Various methods can be used for data collection ranging from on-line panels, telephone surveys or face-to-face interviews. Each have there own advantages and disadvantages but the trend is towards on-line surveys.
3. Return on Objectives 1. 2. 3. Deﬁne the sponsorship Survey the target Report the ﬁndings objectives to be audience. against the measured. sponsorship objectives Often we can ﬁnd a direct relationship between a sponsorship speciﬁc metric such as the Gratitude Index and brand advocacy. This is what we would expect to see if the sponsorship was working as intended. Most often there is a direct relationship between the passion for the property and sponsorship performance with the target segment. It is important to measure performance against what were the objectives for individual sponsors. SponsorMap takes this into consideration and has the ﬂexibility to demonstrate effectiveness for all different types of sponsors. Pre and post sponsorship measurement is the ideal way to demonstrate sponsorship’s contribution. In this case there were signiﬁcant increases on brand health metrics for this particular sponsor of NASCAR. The sponsors objectives were to increase purchase intent, brand advocacy and brand image with the adult spirt drinkers that follow NASCAR. Clearly, the sponsorship in our example can be determined to have achieved those objectives.
4. Passion - Sponsorshipʼs PowerhouseA SponsorMap study involves asurvey of the target audience to Sponsor Recall Sponsorship Fit Demographicsobtain key sponsorshipperformance metrics. PassionIndex Gratitude Index Return on Objectives Passion Index - Emotional Engagement The Measurement Sequence Property Sponsor “Passionates” Extreme sports Fashion 81% Formula One Team Telco 70% Property A Sponsor X 69% Broadcast Telco 59% Music Festival Telco 54% Football Utility 54% Horse Race Beer 53% Property B Sponsor X 46% European Football Finance 43% Art/Entertainment Utility 34% SponsorMap measures the level of passion towards properties by the target audience and segments a property by the strength of its fan base. A strong property will have a high proportion of ‘Passionates’ (Fanatics + Great Fans). The most valuable properties are those that have the largest number of Passionates, In the example above, for the mobile phone market the LA Lakers can be considered more valuable than the US Open Golf Championship with that particular target audience. SponsorMap can match the property that best ﬁts the passions of a target segment using the PassionIndex.
5. Sponsor Recall - A Key Requirement to Measure Sponsorship Effectiveness Spontaneous Sponsor Recall Unaided Spontaneous Recall Prompted Sponsorship Recall Source of Sponsor Awareness - First mention- -Total- SPONSOR X 68% From friends 78% Sponsor X Sponsor X Bank of America 53% Bank of America Information on a 22% Nike 25% website Bank of America Nike Buick 19% From Internet Forum 14% BuickAmerican Express American Express 35% From magazines/ American Express 5% newspapers FedEx 21% FedEx FedEx Banners on Internet 5% Sony 13% Sony Other Posters 3% Accenture Dole 8% Dole TV 3% Accenture 3% Accenture Pepsi Pub 3% Target Target 4% Flyers and postcards 2% Coca Cola/Coke Capital One Capital One 1% Posters in the street 1% Citibank Citibank 1% Citibank Internet other 1% Coca Cola/Coke Coca Cola/Coke 1% From organisers 1% Miscellaneous Pepsi Pepsi 1% On the radio 1% Miscellaneous Exxon Mobil 8%Dont Know/None Online Game 1% Dont Know/None Williams 3% Yahoo! Match 1% IBM 1% ERA Ticket 1% Miscellaneous 4% SMS 1%Recall of sponsors from the event showing percentage of visitors that can recall the Dont Know/None 53%sponsors at both a spontaneous (unprompted) and prompted (aided) level. This measures Forget 1%how well the sponsor’s involvement is remembered. For a sponsorship to be effective itﬁrst needs to be recalled by the target audience, this is not measured by logo countingmeasurement systems.Media Impressions Social Media Social media is an important method from communicating sponsorship messages. SpecialistMedia impressions can be included in a SponsorMap analysis. These can be obtained social media measurement services have been used in conjunction with SponsorMap in afrom various media sources depending on the sponsorship and they are best used as number of projects.a measure of inputs not outputs for a sponsorship. Unlike media impressions, social media monitoring involves listening to blogs, Facebook, TwitterThese can include coverage in the broadcast and print media. SponsorMap does not posts for speciﬁc mentions of sponsorship messages.measure media impressions but instead relies on people’s actual recall of sponsorsthemselves as opposed to logo counts. Source of sponsor recall is asked to conﬁrmfrom what sources the message is actually being received by a target audience.SponsorMap can demonstrate how well a sponsorship is actually beingcommunicated with a target segment by examining media impressions, sponsor recalland the source of sponsor awareness.
6. Sponsor Appreciation - Do People Appreciate a Sponsors Involvement? Sponsor appreciation is mainly impacted by the level of sponsorship activation to enhance the brand experience of the consumer or the choice of the property itself. Those sponsors that work to provide an enjoyable brand experience for consumers do achieve higher levels of sponsor appreciation (Gratitude Index) compared to those that just focus on providing logos. Cause related properties also generally achieve higher appreciation levels. Sponsor appreciation by itself can deliver signiﬁcant ROI to sponsors and is driven by sponsorship activation. Benchmarks - Other Events and Sponsorships Property Sponsor “Gratefuls” Arts Utility 74% Formula One Team Telco 61% Property X Sponsor X 59% Music Festival Telco 52% Extreme sports Fashion 52% Horse Race Beer 47% Broadcast Telco 38% European Football Finance 24% European Football Utility 12% Measuring sponsorship ﬁt helps ensure the correct alignment between sponsor and property. Benchmarks - Sponsorship Fit Property Sponsor Dislike Like Extreme sports Fashion 2% 88% Property X Sponsor X 2% 82% Formula One Team Telco 7% 66% Arts Utility 6% 65% Music Festival Telco 12% 52% Horse Race Beer 13% 38% Broadcast/Entertainment Telco 14% 37% European Football Finance 11% 47% European Football Utility 9% 34%
7. Property Sponsor Evaluations Case Study 1 - Arts Property Evaluation Case Study 2 - Motor Racing Evaluation Another example of SponsorMap in action is for a motor sports team that utilized 1. 2. 3. SponsorMap to measure sponsorship effectiveness at a national level in the United States. Demonstrate to Conduct an on-line Report the ﬁndings. sponsors the strength survey with the The motor racing property needed to demonstrate that sponsorship was a effective of an arts sponsorship. properties own email marketing tool to one of the the principal sponsors. Importantly, they wanted to database. communicate that motor racing was an effective way to build a relationship with customers. The focus was on communicating more than the media value of logos but instead how the motor racing was enhancing the brand values of the sponsor and communicating to a large passionate audience. The key deliverables for the property were: - Sponsor recall (First Mention, Spontaneous & Prompted) We conducted an online national survey in order that - PassionIndex we could project the results to a national level: - Sponsorship Fit - Sponsor Appreciation - Sponsor recall - Event elements evaluation - PassionIndex - Audience proﬁle - Demographics & Category Usage - Sponsorship Fit - Sponsor Appreciation - Event elements evaluation - Audience proﬁle - Demographics & Category UsageThe research methodology involved an online SponsorMap survey with the properties database ofregistered members. An invitation was sent out via email and the survey was hosted bySponsorMap and completed on-line. Small incentives were provided and the result was that therewere approximately n=150 completed interviews that we used to prepare a research report on the Market Analysis Reach & Engagementoverall effectiveness. % Total The research enabled the such claims as “1.7The key ﬁndings were that the level of sponsor recall was very high, PassionIndex was high with Sponsor Customer Base 19,367,100 million of the sponsorswell educated, high income female professionals that are primary high household decision-makers. Passion for Property 9% 1,743,039 target customers areSponsor appreciation was also very strong in this particular case. (“Passionates”) PassionIndex passionate about motor sport team and thatFor the property this enabled them to demonstrate the value of the investment to sponsors and Prompted Recall of Sponsor 7% 1,355,697 352,481 are delightedprovided useful supporting material for future sponsorship acquisition. Base: Recall Sponsor with their involvement as sponsors”. Delighted with Sponsor 26% 352,481 (Gratitude Index)
8. Sponsor EvaluationCase Study 3 - Football Sponsorship A ﬁnancial institution applied SponsorMap to assess the ROI for their investment in UEFA football. A national research of bank account holders was conducted in order to gauge the effectiveness of the sponsorship in key market segments. The key sponsorship objectives were as follows: - To improve brand advocacy (Recommendation) Stage 2 - Return on Sponsorship KPIs - To improve card loyalty - To improve positioning as the card for travel Market Analysis KPIs (Pre and Post Market Assessment) Total Market (24,855,600) Pre Post Gain % Weighted Gain Customers Stage 1 - Sponsorship Engagement Base - Recall Sponsor 0% 23% +23% +5,716,780 Market Analysis Reach & Engagement Loyalty to Sponsor 13% 19% +6% +343,007 % Total Brand Advocacy 23% 40% +17% +971,853 Total Market (Bank customers) 24,855,600 “The card for overseas travel’ 35% 56% +21% +1,200,524 Passion for Property 34% 8,450,900 Delighted with Sponsor 0% 41% +41% +2,343,880 (“Passionates”) PassionIndex Prompted Recall of Sponsor 23% 5,716,780 Stage 3 - Sponsorship Driven ROI - Loyalty Example Recall Sponsor Pre and post measurement to demonstrate how the key sponsorship objectives are fulﬁlled. In this Delighted with Sponsor 41% 2,343,800 example, there is increased loyalty to the bank from 343,000 bank customers based on the research (Gratitude Index) ﬁndings. By weighting the survey results to project the total market Market Analysis - Improvements on Sponsorship Objectives we can conclude that nearly 8.5 million bank customers are passionate about the sponsored property. Nearly six million % Total (5,716,780) can recall the bank as a UEFA sponsor and 2.3 Base - Increase in Bank Loyalty 343,000 million bank customers are delighted that the bank is sponsoring UEFA. Prompted Recall of Sponsor 91% Recall driven (“Passionates”) PassionIndex 84% Passion driven Delighted with Sponsor (Gratitude Index) 76% Sponsor Appreciation Driven We are able to use SponsorMap to analyze the increased number of bank customers stating they are more loyal to the bank. Of these, 91% can recall the sponsorship, 84% are Great Fans or Fanatics to UEFA (Passionates) and 76% were delighted with the bank for the sponsorship (Gratitude Index). These are all indications that the sponsorship was driving increases in loyalty.
9. Sponsor EvaluationCase Study 4 - Broadcast Media Property SponsorMap was applied for a broadcast media property. The property, was a leading youth TV show that was rating well with the 16-29 year old age group. Whilst advertising revenue built around commercials was well established, sponsorship was providing a signiﬁcant growth opportunity for the network. The network wished to provide some evidence to existing and potential sponsors that investing as a broadcast sponsor was an effective marketing investment that provided strong ROI and helped develop strong emotional bonds with this hard to reach market segment. The key sponsorship deliverables for the project were as follows: - To demonstrate the value of sponsorship to show sponsors - To estimate the total fan base - To demonstrate how the sponsorship investment assists sponsors own marketing efforts for two key sponsors Stage 1 - Sponsorship Engagement Stage 2 - Sponsorship Deliverables - Results for individual sponsor Market Analysis Reach & Engagement Market Analysis % Total Sponsor Brand Metrics All Passionates Delighted Statistically Total Market (16-29 age group) 6,322,000 Signiﬁcant Passion for Property 26% 1,617,720 6855600 161,772,000% 486,560 (“Passionates”) PassionIndex For people like me 17% 24% +21% Prompted Recall of Sponsor 23% 1,431,060 Likely to purchase 11% 16% +25% Recall Sponsor Would recommend 27% 56% +21% Delighted with Sponsor 34% 486,560 A modern brand 31% 41% +55% (Gratitude Index) Based on weighting the survey results to project the total The SponsorMap methodology allowed for individual sponsors to see how their investment is market. delivering returns in terms of marketing results both in terms of reaching an audience as well as key brand performance metrics. Key conclusions: - 1.6 million young adults very passionate for the TV show - 1.4 recall the major sponsor of the TV show - Nearly half a million delighted to see that the sponsor is involved with the TV show
10. SponsorMap Clients, Market Coverage & Testimonials Global Sponsors "SponsorMap™ is an excellent tool for measuring the effectiveness and value of sponsorship. I believe it is a great improvement over traditional sponsorship awareness measures, giving us deeper insights into how we enhance the experience for our customers." Heba Habashy Market Research Manager, Vodafone SponsorMap has been used in more than 22 countries and is available in more than 80 today. Australia United Kingdom New Zealand Switzerland China Russia Taiwan France Malaysia Greece Philippines Romania India Turkey Indonesia Singapore Hong Kong United Arab Emirates Thailand Canada United States Vietnam
11. Further Details Contact UsSponsorMap is available in more than 80 countries across the globe.To speak to us directly call and leave a voicemail on our US number 24/7 on +1 (917) 675-3403.Otherwise email email@example.com Resources Visit www.sponsormap.com for !!Free webinars on measuring sponsorship !!Free e-books on measurement for sponsors and properties !!Sign-up for our mailing list on some of the latest insights in this area