5 Home Improvement Projects thatWill Get You Top Dollar For YourHome
It’s a highly competitive market for home sellersright now. More homes to compete with meansthat the impression your homes makes - fromthe curb, and on the inside - matter now morethan ever. You can increase your chances ofselling faster - and at today’s top dollar - byinvesting in a select few home improvementprojects that have been shown to make a bigimpact on buyers.
1. Painting: Adding a freshcoat of paint to ceilings andwalls is a tried and true way toincrease your home’s appeal tobuyers. Go for white or neutraltones that help lighten your rooms.Buyers will have an easier time envisioning howthey will infuse their own personalities into yourhome if they’re looking at a relatively blankslate.
2. Landscaping: Everything you’ve heard aboutcurb appeal is true. First impressions matter -especially if your house is one of eight or nine abuyer has seen in one day.Buyers will be more excitedto look at the inside yourhome if the outside looksclean, charming and inviting.Mow the lawn, trim the hedges,pull the weeds and plant some flowers,bushes or shrubs for the biggest impact –and be diligent about keeping your landscaping verywell-manicured throughout the time your home ison the market.
3. Cleaning and de-cluttering: Start by removingall your family photos from the walls and all sortsof clutter from the tops of tables, desks, dressersand counters. Buyers want to be able to envisiontheir lives in the house, not yours. Personal itemsand the visual clutterthey create - have beenshown time and time againto block buyers’ ability tocreate this vision.
4. Plumbing repairs and water stain/damagerepair: Paying a plumber to make a few stopsthroughout your home can be well worth theinvestment. Leaky faucet inthe master bathroom? Get itfixed. Does the space underyour kitchen sink look like ascience experiment? Leaksand water stains definitelyprovoke disgust and exasperation on the part ofthe buyers you want and need to impress. Andthey can be pretty cost effective to fix - ask youragent for a referral, if you need one.
5. Staging: Staging yourhome can make a dramaticdifference in the price forwhich your home sells. Goodstaging is equal parts:• (a) removing your personal belongings andreplacing it with more artwork, decorand cleaner-looking furniture,• (b) and tweaking the home’s paint, wallcoverings and even landscaping to showthe place in its very best light.
Randy BettInvestment Realtor/Author/InvestorReal Estate Professionals Inc.Better Group Real Estate202-5403 Crowchild Trail NWCalgary, AB T3B 4Z1Phone:403-774-7464 Ext:1Fax:403-208-0082Toll Free fax:888-711-6801