1. InfraInput.org BGSA Brown Bag Series September 27, 2011 Parfait Gasana, MS in Economics firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Public Infrastructure• Def. - the wide array of assets and facilities that enable the functioning of a society and economy – All installations that house, transport, transmit, and distribute people, goods, energy, resources, services, and information• Public goods managed by government bodies – Externality and spillover traits and non-exclusionary/non-rival in consumption
3. Aging System• Policy of new construction over maintenance• Industry practice of segmented life cycle (Design-Bid-Build method)• Lack of performance measurement, inventory data, and infrastructure management system
4. Why InfraInput?• To start conversation on public works issues• Local citizens as stakeholder (user and owner)• Inefficient political process (i.e., lobbying, earmarks)• Needed coordination of agencies, policymakers, builders/contractors, engineers, & citizens)
5. Website Development• Literature reading on infrastructure• Wikipedia articles (public capital, metropolitan economy, public infrastructure sidebar & portal)• Microsoft Access database (tables and forms)• Online interface (html & php coding, mysql database) – BlueHost webhost/server and domain account, FileZilla FTP client, PhpAdmin, Apache
6. Website Features• Simple website/minimalist design – Function > Design (i.e., craigslist.com, google.com)• Fifteen user forms and database output tables• Includes other pages: About, Contact, Form Directions, Form Guidelines
7. Site Concerns• Complaint site against companies• Security/Hacking• Fraudulent entries• Publicity/Word of mouth – Champaign/Urbana, IL beta launch
8. Future Enhancements• User accounts (sign-in/log-in)• Pagination of output tables• Excel, PDF, CSV, Print-out plug-ins• Query page for searches by area, issue, etc.• Comments section for interaction• Ideas ???