A study to assess the awareness of overweight (BMI) and lifestyle modification in patient with
non-communicable disease in tertiary care hospital, Khurdha, Odisha.
• To assess the awareness of overweight in patients with non communicable disease.
• To assess the lifestyle modification in patients with non communicable disease.
• To find out the association between overweight (BMI) and lifestyle modification in patient
with non communicable disease.
1.Awareness- Awareness refers to knowledge of overweight in the patient with
Non communicable disease.
2. Overweight- Overweight refers to a person’s weight more than the healthy range for his/her
age, gender and height.
3. Lifestyle modification- lifestyle modification refers to a person’s daily life
routine including food habit, sleeping and working pattern, physical exercise .
4.Non-communicable disease patient- In this study non-communicable disease
Patients refers to a person who is having sign and symptoms of overweight,
Diabetes etc and diagnosed by doctor.
1. The adult patients of age 18-65 with non-communicable disease.
2. The patients who attend to the medicine OPD of IMS and SUM Hospital.
The present study assumed that patients with non-communicable disease will
be aware. The application of lifestyle modification will be effective non
Communicable disease like overweight.
• APPROACH- Quantitative research approach
• RESEARCH DESIGN- Descriptive research design.
• POPULATION- All non communicable disease patient in khurdha district
• SAMPLE- Among those non communicable disease patients who visit to medicine OPD of
IMS & SUM Hospital.
• SAMPLE SIZE- sample will be calculated.
SAMPLE TECHNIQUE- purposive sampling
Demographic variables- In this study the demographic variables are age, gender, educational
status, marital status, occupation, lifestyle, diagnosis, family history, previous knowledge of
non communicable disease.
Setting of the study
The study will be plan to conduct in medicine OPD of IMS & SUM hospital,
4. Sample selection criteria
• Patients who are willing to participate in this study.
• Patients with non-communicable disease history.
• Patients of age 18-65.
• Patients who came to medicine OPD of IMS & SUM Hospital.
• Patients who are able to read and understand English and Odia.
• Patients who are present during data collection.
• Patients who are critically ill.
• Patient of age <18 and >65.
• Patients who are not willing to participate in this study.
SL N NAME OF THE TOOL VARIABLES
METHODS TO BE
TOOL A Self structured socio
Demographic variables Questionnaire method
TOOL B Nutrition awareness scale
( Sonja M E Van Dillen)
Awareness Questionnaire method
TOOL C Lifestyle modification
scale (Tom Devasia,
Prashad Narayana Shetty)
Lifestyle modification Questionnaire method
5. Description of the tool –
• Self structured questionnaire schedule
• It consist of demographic data. This tool comprises of 9 items on socio-demographic profile.
Those are age, gender, educational status, marital status, occupation, lifestyle, diagnosis,
family history, previous knowledge.
• Standardized questionnaire schedule
• Nutrition awareness tool is a standard tool, which was first introduced in 2008 by Sonja M E
van Dillen. It consists of questions related to awareness of overweight. For each question
choose from the alternatives. Individual scores on nutrition awareness scale can range from 1-
5 with higher scores indicating higher awareness.
• Score ranging ‘1’ would be considered very low awareness.
• Score ranging ‘2’ would be considered low awareness.
• Score ranging ‘3’ would be considered mild awareness.
• Score ranging ‘4’ would be considered moderate awareness.
• Score ranging ‘5’ would be considered highly aware.
6. TOOL C
• Lifestyle modification scale is a standard tool, which was introduced in 2018 by Indian Heart
Journal by Tom Devasia and Prasad Narayana Shetty. It consist of 5 points to assess the
lifestyle modification of non-communicable disease patient. The maximum score is 5 and
minimum score is 0.
• High lifestyle modification score 4-5
• Medium lifestyle modification score 2-3
• Low lifestyle modification score 0-1
Validity and reliability plan-
Validity plan- the prepared self structured interview schedule on demographic for non
communicable disease patients perform will be given to 5 experts. The experts will be
selected as per their clinical expertise , experience & interest in the problem area. Out of 5
experts 1 from the field of medicine OPD , 4 from nursing experts.
Reliability plan- Reliability will be done by Cronbach’s alpha formula.
Try out- the pre testing of the tool A, tool B & tool C will be done in medicine OPD with prior
permission from respective authority.
It will be done to check the-
1. Clarity of the tool and reliability of the tool.
2. Ambiguity of the statement.
3. Total time taken for test.
7. PILOT STUDY PLAN-
pilot study will be conducted to test the practicability & feasibility of the study. I will be
conducted for period of 1-2 days at IMS and SUM Hospital, khordha.
Plan for data collection-
• The formal permission will be obtained from the medical superintendent of IMS& SUM
Hospital, khordha , Odisha.
• The investigator first introduce herself to the non-communicable disease patients and she will
explain the purpose of the study. Re-assurance will be given to the participant that all the
information will be kept confidential , it will be used only in research purpose. An informed
consent will be obtained from the respondents stating their readiness to take part in this study.
Plan for data analysis-
The data will be collected and analysed with descriptive and inferential statistical techniques.
The demographic variables will be analysed by using frequency and percentage. The
frequency tables will be formulated for all significant information.
The ethical consideration for present study includes-
8. • Approval of research problem and objective by the researcher committee of SUM Nursing
• Approval for conducting study from IRB (Institutional Research Board).
• Obtaining permission from the medical superintendent of IMS & SUM Hospital .
• Confidentiality will be maintained.
• The study will find the awareness of overweight (BMI) and lifestyle modification in patient
with non communicable disease in IMS & SUM Hospital , Khordha, Odisha.