History for Fun
Lot 55: 20 Japanese Woodblock Prints
Each depicting a female/Geisha figure with
calligraphy throughout each print. Prints
measure 13.75" H x 9.375" W. Toning to
each print, some losses around edges.
Estimated Price: $400 - $600
Step 1: Acquire and read tons of expensive books.
Step 2: Learn to read Japanese. *
Japanese from the 17th to 19th century. *
You’re not going to learn this from Rosetta Stone.
Idyll: Ofﬂine Image Cropping
• Crop images oﬄine and on a mobile
• Saves the selections back to a server.
• Data is synced and saved using HTML 5
by David Chester
Aiding Woodblock Print
Studies with Image Analysis
Printed in 1897
Sold for: $550
Prints sell for $100-$400 individually
True Estimate: $2100 - $8400 *
* You just have to find
someone willing to buy them!
Does this work for other art forms?
• Collaborating with the Frick Art Reference Library
• Analyzing their Anonymous Italian Art Photo Archive
• Also working with the Zeri Foundation at the University
of Bologna in Italy
• Analyzing their Italian Art Archives
Different photo, same work of art.
Different photo, slightly different cropping.
Different photo, dramatically different lighting.
• Takes in the English form of a
• Returns it written in Hiragana or
Katakana (phonetic Japanese
• Downloads and queries the
• (A mapping of Japanese proper
names to Hiragana and
• Used to correct typos and ﬁgure
out surname/given name.
• Queries the NDLNA database
• Finds the correct Kanji for an
• Or the correct English for a