Choose Your Field
Direct +10/ no negative
• The hyperbolic paraboloid is a doubly ruled
surface shaped like a saddle. In a suitable coordinate
system, a hyperbolic paraboloid can be represented by
the equation below.
• For c>0, this is a hyperbolic paraboloid that opens
down along the x-axis and up along the y-axis (i.e., the
parabola in the plane x=0 opens upward and the
parabola in the plane y=0 opens downward).
• The shape allows product to be securely stacked in a
canister to prevent breakage during packaging and
• A ______ ______ is a pessimist-cum-alarmist,
one who constantly warns of the possibility of
• How do the currency notes from Bermuda,
Colombia, Israel, Cape Verde and Switzerland
differ from the ones used in the rest of the
• In ‘The Social Network’, Divya Narendra says
Zukerberg became “the biggest thing on
campus that included 19 Nobel laureates, 15
Pulitzer Prize winners, 2 future Olympians,
and a movie star.” Lawyer asks “Who was the
movie star?” And the response is “Does it
• So who was this movie star?
• The Silk Road is a online black market which was
launched in Feb’11. It can be accessed only via the
anonymizing network TOR. Users can browse it
anonymously and securely without potential traffic
monitoring. All transactions happen through bitcoins.
• The site’s terms of service say that they prohibit the
sale of “anything who’s purpose is to harm or defraud.”
This includes child pornography, stolen credit cards,
assassinations and weapons of mass destruction.
• What is this online market for?
• A flying ace, famous for solo flight across Mediterranean without
• Invented the first forward firing aircraft machine gun
• Fell victim to enemy fire a month before end of world war I and one
day before his 30th birthday
• What in sports is named after him?
• In 1985, Rick Macintosh, GM of Microsoft
Canada was summoned to the Canadian
Department of Agriculture since they had
quarantined the first units of Microsoft’s
version of the product. Not knowing better,
the Department of Agriculture officials
thought that the product posed a health risk
to Canada. Which Microsoft product?
• Until the beginning of the 20th century, the practice of cremation was
illegal in England because of the perception that it was an “unchristian” act. In 1874, the editor of the Punch magazine and several
others notables formed the “Cremation Society of England” to
campaign for legalization. The editor died soon afterwards, but his
body couldn’t be cremated despite his wishes. His son was very
disappointed with the government’s refusal to grant permission. The
son’s most famous work is now regarded as a subtle effort to support
the cause. The work came out around the same time that another
petition for the right of cremationhad been submitted to the
government. Although this famous effort did not help the legalization
struggle too much, it is an enduring image in a different field.
• What work?
…Mythology & Religion
• X was the king of the asuras. He was an able ruler and under his
leadership the asuras defeated the devas.
• The story of his orgin is not given in the Linga Purana, but can be
found in the Padma Purana. Indra once went on a visit to Mount
Kailasa and met Shiva there. Failing to recognize Shiva, Indra hit him
on the head with his vajra. A fire issued out of Shiva’s head and
threatened to burn Indra up. Indra pacified Shiva and contrived to
avoid destruction. But Shiva flung the fire into the ocean and from
his fire a boy was born. Since he emerged from the water, the boy
came to be called X. Brahma granted him the boon that he could be
killed only by Shiva.
• He also gives name to one of the oldest cities of north India.
Choose Your Field
Direct +10/ no negatives
The food is classified into following types• Beverages(B)
• Fresh Foods(FF)- to be eaten within 2 days. For psychological
• Irradiated(I) Meat
• Intermediate Moisture(IM)
• Natural Form(NF)- Commercial, Ready-to-eat
• Rehydratable(R) Foods
• Extended Shelf-life Bread Products
• Shelf Stable Tortillas
• Condiments- Liquid salt solution, Oily Pepper Paste,etc
Where do you find this classification?
• The word has its origin from days of sailing
ships when an ornamental carving was placed
at bow of the ship and served as marker’s
identity. Since they did not serve any practical
purpose on the ship, they have disappeared
today but the word lingers on. What word?
• What makes P.H.Vazak’s 1985 Oscar nomination for Best
Writing Adapted Screenplay for Greystoke: The Legend of
Tarzan, Lord of the Apes distinct/odd?
• First Dog to be nominated for an oscar
• After working for years on a script
of Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of
the Apes(1984), Robert Towne grew
dissatisfied with the production and credited
his dog, P.H. Vazak, with the script. Vazak
became the first dog nominated for
an Oscar for screenwriting, but he did not
‘fetch’ the award.
• This brand came with an advertising campaign about
what the world will look like under ideal conditions.
• In 1999, the then world chess champion Gary
Kasparov played a game of chess that lasted 62
moves over the course of 4 months. He said “It is
the greatest game in the history of chess. The
sheer number of ideas, the complexity, ad the
contribution it has made to chess make it the
most important game ever played.” His
opponent’s participation was made possible by
technological advances that were beyond the
reach of world champions of previous
generations. Who was his opponent?
• The World
• Kasparov Vs The world was a game played
over the internet. Conducting white pieces he
faced the rest of the world in consultation,
with moves to be decided by a majority vote.
Over 50000 participated from 75 countries to
eventually lose to Kasparov.
• X was an English electrical engineer and
physicist. He invented the first thermionic
valve or vacuum tube( called it ‘Kenotron’) in
1904. He is remembered today for a visual
mnemonic that contains his name. Who?
• On December 9,1893, a french anarchist named
Auguste Vaillant made a sensational attempt to
avenge the execution of Ravachol, a fellow
anarchist. His attempt injured several people and
he was arrested and sentenced to death. He
defended his actions during the trial, maintaining
that he merely wanted to wake up the privileged
• How did his actions and words come back into
limelight some 36 years later?
• Bhagat Singh’s actions in
1929 were inspired by
Vaillant’s bombing of french
• Bhagat Singh even
paraphrased Vaillant’s word
in the pamphlets thrown
inside central assembly hall
“It takes a loud voice to make
the deaf hear”
• Sometime in early 1990’s, Shubha News Photo
Agency, run by Shubha Sundaram(Father figure of
budding photographers in Madras) called up a
photographer named Haribabu as their client had
requested an unknown face for the job. Haribabu
agreed and accompanied 4 others to the spot,
and the plan would have worked like clockwork,
except for one complication. Haribabu’s inability
to take photographs from a safe distance proved
to be the undoing of himself and his client.
• What was the job and who was the client?
Other team Chooses field for you
Direct +15/ no negatives
Pass +10/ no negatives
• ____, the species of fish used to make this
delicacy, are nowadays at risk of extinction due to
massive overfishing around the Eurasian
coastline. To combat this, ____ fisheries are
becoming common across the region. Also, other
species of fish such as salmon, steelhead, trout,
lumpfish and whitefish are now being used to
make this item.
• Which species and the delicacy?
• This word originally meant a small copper coin
that the residents of Venice would pay to hear
public readings of one of the earliest issued
newssheets. Now it indicates a public journal,
a newspaper of record, or simply a newspaper.
Happy Women’s Day
• Red- Official Holiday
• Orange- Holiday for Women
• Yellow- Non Official Holiday
• Ahsanullah Moni, a bangladeshi filmmaker spent $58
million to build this near Dhaka. It was completed in
2009 and Indian officials threatened to sue for
copyright infringement of the original 350 year old
• Now there is one being built in Dubai, by Link Global
Ltd. Spread across 200,000 sq mt, it will be designed
based on era of original but include a 300 room luxury
hotel, mall and cocktail bars. Will open by 2016.
• Indian officials have dismissed the fact that this
development will have any economic impact on India.
• What is all this about?
Taj Mahal Bangladesh, Taj
Arabia, Replicas of Taj Mahal
• The enterprise was started by Mahashay
Chuni Lal in Sialkot. In a few years it became
quite famous and they were called the ‘pot
chilli people’. His son later shifted to delhi and
opened the shop there under the title
Mahashian di hatti of Sialkot or the shop of
• Which enterprise?
• X’s debut wicket in 2006 was Y, LBW for 16.
After the match, X asked Y to autograph the
ball with which X had taken the wicket. Y did
so gladly, writing “Once in a blue moon, never
again!” and signing his name. But history
repeated itself a year later.
• X and Y?
• Carlo Lorenzini, wrote a book called Storia di
un Burattino(The story of a Marionette), also
called Le Avventure di _______, which was
published weekly in Il Giornale De Bambini,
one of Italy’s first newspapers for children.
Lorenzini died, unaware of his fame and
popularity of his work.
• Utopia Group started in 1997. The organization was established with the
vision to create the Global Industry to bring High-End Technology products
to serve the mankind at an affordable price.
• BYD Auto Co., Ltd. is a Chinese automobile manufacturer based
in Shenzhen and a wholly owned subsidiary of BYD Company. It was
founded in 2003, following BYD Company's acquisition of Tsinchuan
Automobile Company in 2002. Its principal activity is the design,
development, manufacture and sale of passenger cars and buses under
the BYD brand. It also has a 50:50 joint venture with Daimler AG.
BYD Auto sold a total of 506,189 passenger cars in China in 2013 the largest
selling Chinese brand.
Women of India
• Theme round
• Open to all, Raise you hands and write
down the answer
• Each answer +5
• Theme points
2005 Postal stamp in honor of which famous
• Named Hema at birth, but later renamed after one of the female
characters in her father’s play ‘BhaawBandhan’
• She has directed music for marathi films under the pseudonymn
1. Ram RamPavhana 1960
2. Maratha Tituka Melvava 1963
3. Mohityanchi Manjula 1963
4. Sadhi Manase 1965- Maharastra State Govt. Best music director
5. Tambadi Mati 1969
• She has also produced 4 movies
1. Vaadal(Marathi) 1953
2. Jhaanjhar(Hindi) 1953
3. Kanchan(Hindi) 1955
4. Lekin…(Hindi) 1990
• Also had Guinness Record at one time now held by her sibling.
• 11 visual clues… come in 3 set of 3 and last
• no points for individual answer
• All are connected by a specific theme
• 1st set +40/-30
• 2nd set +30/-20
• 3rd set +20/-10
• 4th set +10/0
Mahmoud Abbas- President(Palestine)
Pope Benedict XIV
Benjamin Netanyahu- PM(Israel)
Lee Myung Bak- President(S.Korea)
Ahmed Al Tayeb- Grand Imam
Kim Jong Il- Supreme Leader(N.Korea)
Nicolas Sarkozy- President(France)
Hugo Chavez- President(Venezuela)
Angela Merkel- Chancellor(Germany)
Hu Jintao- Paramount Leader(China)
Barack Obama- President(USA)