SXSW Proposal - A Brave New World: Blockchain and the Future of IP
A Brave New World?
Blockchain and the future of IP
Now, blockchain didn’t arrive serendipitously like, say,
But it’s existence sometimes feels like that.
Blockchain instead was the subject of lots of focused work,
all towards a single aim: to make Bitcoin possible.
Now that that has happened, Bitcoin is taking steps
towards being the ﬁrst killer app for Blockchain.
It will not however, be the last.
It could upend any given number of industries the way
the Internet already has.
The question is: should we let it?
In this session we’ll look at
1. How blockchain works and why it has allowed Bitcoin
- its origins
- its growth from geek currency to global ﬁnancial force
- its use as a single source of truth for ﬁnancial markets
2. How content creators could harness blockchain for
their own purposes.
- how blockchain could be used to serve media
- what blockchain would change about how we make
and consume media
- what would need to change to shift to this model
3. The ramiﬁcations - both good and bad - of doing so.
- how creators could take advantage of blockchain
- how the big media companies would (probably) try to
take advantage of blockchain
- the choices for us as consumers