….1930 a journey begins leaves a never ending mark
Revlon a brand sold in approximately 175 countries and
territories. Include Revlon®, ColorStay®, New Complexion®,
Revlon Age Defying®, Almay®, Ultima II® and Flex® and
…a voyage begins Market presence
Store Plano gram
…a voyage begins
• The company began its success with opaque long-lasting nail enamel sold to
beauty salons. Revlon sold its nail enamel through department stores and selected
• Revlon contributed directly to the war effort, by manufacturing first aid kits and
dye markers for the navy. At war's end, Revlon began to produce manicure and
• Following the war, Revlon launched twice-yearly nail enamel and lipstick
promotions tied to seasonal clothing fashions. Revlon also turned to television
sponsorship to boost sales. In December 1955, Revlon first offered stock to the
public. At the end of the following year, Revlon was listed on the New York Stock
• Revlon laid the ground work for its highly successful international presence in the
60's, bringing the "American Look" to the rest of the world through advertising
featuring U.S. models.
…a voyage begins
• 1973 saw the introduction of Charlie® fragrance, designed for a young, working
woman market and by the mid 70's, Charlie® was the #1 Fragrance in the world.
Revlon sales figures passed the $1 billion mark in 1977.
• Growth and innovation led the way for Revlon. In 1985, Revlon was sold to a
subsidiary of MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings. In 1987 Almay joined the Revlon
• In the 1990's, Revlon revitalized its cosmetics business and strengthened its
industry leadership role. Revlon introduced the first transfer resistant lipcolor
which led to a full ColorStay® Collection of transfer-resistant products. The
company closed the gap on its closest competitors and reached a dramatic goal -
the #1 brand in mass color cosmetics. Revlon again became a public company in
1996, listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: REV).
• Modi-Revlon is the formidable alliance
between the Modi Group and the world
famous Revlon of USA.
• Modi-Revlon was the first International
cosmetic brand to enter India in 1995.
• Modi-Revlon has entered the Indian
market and has redefined the concept of
beauty care in India.
• It brings to the Indian women an exciting
range of international cosmetics,
toiletries and fragrances - all adapted to
suit the local conditions and preferences.
• Modi-Revlon draws on the expertise of
Revlon’s premier Research Centre in
Edison, New Jersey (USA), to harmonise
its international product offerings with
the needs and preferences of the Indian
women. Mr. Jerry Lewin (Revlon); Mr.
Umesh.K.Modi and Mr. Paul
• The company thinks Global, but acts Local.
• The manufacturing standards of Modi-Revlon are as exacting as elsewhere in the
• The toughest QC standards in line with the global norms are followed.
• The products advertising features international celebrities and super models.
• Modi-Revlon’s product portfolio currently consists of Lipsticks, Nail Enamels, Eye
and Face Make-up, Flex Shampoos, Flex Conditioners, Charlie Cologne, Body
Sprays, Talc and Fire and Ice cologne.
Revlon 90’s & Early 2000
• Since market liberalization, several multinational companies, such as
Revlon, Coty, Oriflame, Chambor, Avon, Yardley, Nina Ricci, Garnier
Laboratories, and L'oreal, have entered the Indian market.
• Revlon has a market share of 80% in the premium market. Lakme is the
overall market leader in the colour cosmetic segment (lip care and nail
enamel) with a wide range of products and prices, both.
• Maybelline competes with Revlon and Lakme in the colour cosmetics
market in India. Revlon too has grown 65 per cent to strengthen its share
to 13 per cent during the period.
Revlon 90’s & Early 2000
• Modi Revlon To Take On Elle 18 With New Brand StreetWear
from Lakme Levers:
It is entering the teenage market from 15-25 yrs.
The range consisted of about 30 SKUs covering categories like nail enamel,
lipsticks, lip gloss, face make-up kits and eye shadows.
Modi Group distant StreetWear from Revlon so as to segment the market
and corner new market share rather than cannibalise.
Hence StreetWear range has been priced below Rs 100 and targeted at the
socio-economic class (SEC) A, A2 and may be launched in the top 23 cities
beginning with Delhi, Mumbai and Chandigarh.
Revlon 90’s & Early 2000
• Modi Revlon Glosses Up For Fresh Growth:
According to Modi-Revlon Ltd chairman and president UK Modi:
“To start with, we are planning to beef up our distribution network
for Revlon lip colours, Liquid Lip and Lip Glide from 1,000 stores to
2,500 stores along with subsequent increase in beauty advisors at
new stores by the end of 2007”
Modi-Revlon Ltd also forayed into direct-marketing activities which are
scheduled to commence from October 2004.
The company also provide Revlon products to its two lakh women customers
through direct- marketing activities.
Revlon 2009 Plans
• MODI-REVLON TO GENERATE Rs400-CRORE BUSINESS
(company plans to set up a manufacturing unit for cosmetic products in Sri
• Modi-Revlon, a joint venture of Umesh K Modi Group and Revlon of the US, is
targeting a total business of Rs400 crore to achieve by 2013.
• Initial investment of $1 million (about Rs4.2 crore).
• Proposed unit, which will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Modi-Revlon, will cater
to countries in Southeast Asia.
• It is expected to generate 10-15 percent of the total income by end-2009.
• Revlon has signed makeup artist Gucci Westman to serve as global artistic
director, providing Revlon with expertise on new products, shade
development and working on set with Revlon's global brand
• Gucci Westman: Gucci Westman is a world renowned makeup artist. Her
acute sense of glamour makes her the "go-to" makeup artist for some of
the most beautiful and elite women in Hollywood. She travels the globe
in search of new products and shade trends. Gucci is married to Rag &
Bone designer David Neville and they have one son.
• Revlon has has donated more than $65 million to support women's
health and participating breast cancer programs.
Source: Publication: Drug Store Newsa
Publication Date: 19-MAY-08
Revlon in 90s and 2000’s
• Revlon Inc. is looking to recapture its glory by chasing after an
underserved market: women over age 50. (Year 2005)
It launched Vital Radiance, a line of makeup formulated for older women.
L’Oreal SA have focused on age-defying beauty products for women in their 30s and 40s,
the segment is becoming a hot new opportunity. Female heads of household over age 45
account for about 69.3 percent of cosmetic purchases at mass retailers.
• Revlon Unveils Breakthrough Advertising Campaign; Featureing Revlon
Spokespeople Halle Berry, Julianne Moore, Eva Mendes, Jaime King. Four
Women. Four Stories. One Feeling (Year 2004)
The campaign brings the brand's "confident sexy" positioning to life, and creates an
emotional connection that underscores the way women feel about using Revlon's beauty
"This advertising campaign makes you want to feel the way Halle, Julianne, Eva, and
Jaime feel - confident, sexy, wonderful."
Revlon in 90s and 2000’s
• REVLON BRANDING CAMPAIGN INCLUDES:
Television & In-Theater
Print & Outdoor
• Revlon to return to celebrity advertising: (Year 2002)
Seven months after it dumped model Cindy Crawford to focus on relatively
It made a u turn to its 80s advertising, which featured famous faces and the
strapline: "The world's most unforgettable women wear Revlon."
In the eara it signed faces like Julianne Moore and James King.
Revlon Social Cause: PETA
STOP ANIMAL TESTING
Revlon has sent the message that beauty doesn’t have to come with an ugly
side," said PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) President Ingrid
E. Newkirk. "Although there are still some holdouts, Revlon’s commitment to
compassion has become the standard in the personal-care-products industry.
For blazing the cruelty-free trail with a sensational line of hair-care products,
cleansers, perfumes, and makeup, venerable personal-care-products company
Revlon has won PETA's "Cutting-Edge Company" Award.
1. To valorize the brand to occupy a premium position in the market
• By taking big price leaps of their existing range: Avg MRP up from Rs. 250 to Rs. 400 post
• By launching more and more high value, latest international products. E.g. color stay soft &
smooth (Rs 575); mineral foundation (Rs 900), limited editions (Rs 600-1000)
2. Focus on strengthening Modern retail operations = BA led
3. New international imagery in modern retail
Distribution And Retail
There are three categories of channels of distribution -
• Prestige - Department stores, specialty stores and chain department stores, such
as Macy's, Neiman-Marcus and J.C. Penney (internationally) and Shoppers’ Stop,
VAMA, Westside, Bombay Stores etc (nationally).
• Broad - Drug stores, food stores, cosmetic discounters, warehouse clubs, and mass
Such as Eckerd, Pathmark, Cosmetic Center, Sam's Price Club
and Wal-Mart (internationally) and Satyam, Haiko, Sahkari Bhandar, Beauty Center
• Alternative - is identified by five different marketing methods:
• o Direct Sales
o Direct Mail/TV/Print
o Salons (Lokhandwala)
• Sourcing: Imported and Local manufacturing. (AC Neilsen)
• They are generally very
• Visually appealing.
• Standard color coding of beige.
• Very Attractive because of the
• No uniformity in the uniform across
Basic uniform : White Shirt ,Black
Blazer & Black Trouser.
Other Uniform: White Shirt &
Grey Trouser or White Shirt &
Denim or Black Blazer & a polka
Dot shirt in black and white.
• No Uniformity in Hair Styling:
Some have their hair open .
Some have a bun as a part of hair
• The Beauty advisor overall are well trained and well spoken
• Aware about the latest products and offers.
• Training in English would help them to attract more customers .
Store Plano gram
1. Shoppers’ Stop, Inorbit Mall
2. Shoppers’ Stop, Andheri
3. Lifestyle, Inorbit Mall
4. Pantaloons, Highstreet Phoenix
5. Hyper City ,Malad
The counter of Revlon is either placed next to Lakme and Maybelline or L’Oreal and
Plaque cards for sale
Pricing and Brand positing
• Pricing of the product and the nature of product usage are the two criteria that
define brand positioning.
Mass-market category: price range of Rs 45 to Rs 200
Middle market price: Rs 200 up to Rs 800
High-end market: Rs 800 to about Rs 5000.
Premium range : pricing can touch up to Rs 35,000.
• L’Oréal pushes Maybelline and Synergie ranges to the younger generation and also
in the lower income group mass market.
• L’Oréal range of cosmetic and skin care products are for the middle and higher-
middle class women
• Vichy is for high-end users,” explains the source at L’Oréal India.
Pricing and Brand positing
• Lakme and Color Bar are being pushed as mass market products and
focus on younger women and women with lower buying power.
• Revlon, Chambor, Diana of London, Bourjois and Pupa that make the
• Clarins, Shiseido, MAC, Christian Dior, Nina Ricci, YSL and Lancôme make
the high end. La Prairie touches the premium end of the market.
Not media driven
Minimum media spends
• Minimal presence: on print
• Usually supports new launches alone
Television Contest: Die Another Day
• Reacted to MEX on TV with a print campaign of Super Lustrous, their star product.
Jennifer Connelly as new global brand ambassador
Revlon has signed Academy Award winning actress Jennifer Connelly to represent the Revlon
She joins Revlon's line-up of accomplished and glamorous women including Academy Award
winning actress Halle Berry, actress Jessica Alba, actress Beau Garrett and newly signed
supermodel and entrepreneur Elle Macpherson.
"Connelly is a modern, dynamic and intelligent woman. She is an accomplished wife, mother
and actress and her successes complement the spirit of the Revlon brand," said Revlon
president and CEO David Kennedy. "We are elated to have Connelly join the Revlon family."
In addition to being featured in upcoming global advertising campaigns, Connelly will be
involved with various company-sponsored philanthropic activities and fundraising events for
charity. To date, Revlon has donated more than $65 million for research, counseling and
outreach programs to support women's health and participating breast cancer programs.
"I am honoured to be joining the Revlon Family," said Connelly. "Revlon is one of the great
iconic brands of today and I am thrilled to be part of a company that has done so much for
women around the world."
Strong Retail presence
Multiple product category
Need to fill the gap of well informed new product launches.
First mover advantage as it has presence in fragrance and experience in the
price range category
Has a lager portfolio in order giving high distribution capacity.
Low media spends may make the brand weak over period of time resulting to
• Not much difference between the Brand Nationally and Internationally.
• High media spends is not required to get brand visibility in competition subject to
• Strong Retail store spends pays off from the BA- Counters.
• Maybelline and Revlon work quite on the same lines from Celebrity endorsement,
to ad layouts, look of the TVC.
• The strong presence of the culture of New York in both the brand attributes and
• Maybelline against Revlon is a much younger brand when comparing the celebrity.
• Street wear is a brand which Maybelline needs to keep a track on.