** =Based on a 2 adults sharing & Saturday night
* =kilobits per second. A measurement smaller then megabits in size.
* =Dedicated Internet Access
1. Broadband Internet Service –The Gresham Hotel, Dublin City Centre NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGY CA1 DENIS CULLINANE MEGAN KINSLEY N00080571
2. Introduction to Broadband Broadband is a high data rate internet connection. It is an ‘Always On’ internet service. It is measured is Megabits per second (MBPS). It is much faster than dial-up connection There are many different service providers
3. The Gresham: A Profile Utilises: Internet, TV, landline 288 rooms; 7 suites; 22 conference rooms & a Business Centre (containing a computer) Free internet is available throughout the entire hotel Room rates range**: €100 - €2000 a night Highly regarded amongst inter/national tourists; higher average amount of guests on weekends
4. Types of Internet Connection Satellite Wireless ADSL Cable
5. Satellite• Connects to customers house satellitedish to a dish in space.•Satellite does not use dial-up, DSL or cabletechnology•Pros •Does not interfere with phone line. •High speed access in rural areas •Speed not affected by phone/cables•Cons •Equipment & usage more expensive •Large set up fee •Lower connection speed than DSL and cable
6. Wireless A base (modem/router) transmits & receives WiFi signals that connect to a device, providing wireless internet access. Pros High speed internet connection No wires= Less mess & danger hazards Cons Bad weather causes bad signal Anyone can access it if not security enabled
7. ADSL The most common form of broadband ‘The more you pay, the better your connection’ Works from but doesn’t interfere with phone lines Pros ‘Always On’ broadband Most widely available Cost effective Cons Usage efficiency related to distance from provider Fast download but much slower upload speed
8. Cable Connectivity is delivered through coaxial copper cables using a cable modem (like cable TV) Competitive providers Pros Strong competition = competitive rates and speeds offered ‘Always on’ broadband Relatively cheap Cons High security risk - Firewall needed Not all phone and TV cables compatible
9. Broadband Providers Available: The Gresham
10. Digiweb- Satellite ProviderSatellite Business Extra10 Broadband 10mb download speed 2mb upload speed Available traffic 13mb ‘Always On’ broadband Ethernet connection €65.95 a month 2 year connection (1yr longer than other options)
12. Magnet- ADSL ProviderMagnet Business ADSL2+ Broadband Double the frequency band of ADSL connections Contention free Enhanced distance coverage 24/7 IT support for businesses 10mb/8mb/3mb download speeds 768kb/512kb/384kb* upload speed €45 a month
13. UPC- Cable ProviderUPC Business DIA* Premium Broadband Leading internet access product using Fibre Optic cables Contention free 30mb download speed 3mb upload speed 6-voice lines included for free €69 a month Setup & installation= €80
14. Best Choice for The Gresham Hotel Although both impress me, I would choose UPC as my provider. Why? It has the best download and upload speeds Although pricier, uses most advanced technology Caters for multiple phone line usage Great satellite and cable TV services available I believe that, although there is an installation fee and a dearer monthly bill, that the guests should get the highest speed of internet that works for the company. If cost effectiveness was a main factor, Eircom would be my choice.
15. Reflection In future, I will not use Magnet as their website was not user-friendly & lacked in information. UPC would be well advised to have their business packages easier to find and understand. Digiweb are not as organized as other websites but I think they are underrated and have potential. Eircom, unlike UPC, do not provide TV services but have competitive prices and have a very user friendly website.