I’m going to try to do 3 things in 5 minutes: - a brief introduction to the Friend of the Friend project; - a tribute to the graphic design skills of TimBL, - and tell a story about what we’re really doing in the wider Semantic Web project, about why the Web is only just getting started.
Danbri FOAF talk, Social Web Camp, WWW2009
SocialWeb - the view from FOAF
- exploration of the Web as originally designed
- a linked information system, describing people in the Web
Q: Who has read http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html ?
The quot;Personal Skills Inventoryquot;
Personal skills and experience are just the sort of
thing which need hypertext ﬂexibility.
People can be linked to projects they have
worked on, which in turn can be linked to
particular machines, programming languages, etc.
Tim Berners-Lee, March 1989
• What happens when your homepage is
• and you’ve used it as an openid?
• What happens when your site is hacked?
• and you host a popular schema?
Embarassing, but these are my problems today.
• How can we build a decentralised approach
to describing people, topics, and the things
they make and do...
• ...while retaining advantages of formal
standards & careful review?
What can you do with
• ask the Google social graph API!
It’s on the machine-
readable public record!
Social Web meets TV?
• from Mobile Widgets Camp yesterday
• if my friends have widget-capable phones
• and the phones know we’re friends
• how can their widgets control my tv?
• How do contact and permissioning APIs in
W3C mobile widgets relate to those in Web-
site widget platforms? (opensocial etc.)?
W3C Social Web XG
• A place to share problems, record plans
• Build collaborations, review each other’s
• Figure out how it all ﬁts together