Ms. Peterson: Summer School English 2013
“On the Rainy River”
Reading Comprehension and Discussion Questions
After reading “On the Rainy River,” answer each of the following questions to the best of your ability.
Be sure to use complete sentences and examples from the text to support your answers for full credit.
Answer the questions in your notebook and leave space to add notes based on our discussion.
1. Who is the narrator?
2. O’Brien begins this story by telling us that this is a “confession”. Why does a person confess? What is a confession?
What is the purpose for the person confessing/what does it allow them to do?
3. Who is Tim O’Brien confessing to (at the Tip Top Lodge, and through the telling or writing of this “confession” or
story)? What is the purpose, then, of him telling or writing about this experience?
4. Is it possible to find redemption for a shameful choice one has made? If so, how might one find redemption?
5. Is it fair to hold individuals responsible for a choice society pressured them to make?
6. Is it fair for society to ask individuals to engage in behavior they find morally wrong even if that behavior might benefit society as